Chocolate Rain | The Bruery

Chocolate RainChocolate Rain

The Bruery
thebruery.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Black Tuesday with Vanilla Bean & Cocoa Nibs.

2011: 18.5% ABV

Added by mikedashg on 10-28-2009

#71

Ratings: 2,704 |  Reviews: 344
4.68/5  rDev +3.1%

opened up last night for my bday because i can, this one put me to sleep, lol. honestly though it took me until almost 2 am to finish this one off. served into a duvel glass and enjoyed on 6/11/2011

Poured a hugely thick and evil looking jet black molasses looking sludge into my pint glass, hitting the bottom of the glass like a thud. Such a rich dark color, there was no chance at all of any light coming through this one at any point what so ever. A huge dark tan colored head rose up from the depths of this one reaching a height of easily three inches which never really did settle down to much, leaving a constant pillow of brown of top that at the most settled down to around an inch and a half.

the first thing I noticed was how sweet it was, tons of sugar here in the aroma, thick chocolate like smells that really sweetened it up. Mixed in were the slightest hints of French roasted coffee and molasses, really giving this that big dark aroma that you look for in the style. as it warmed it started to let off some more bourbon notes along with a noticeable hint of vanilla that again confirmed how sweet it was.

The first flavors I was picking up were rich chocolate and vanilla that were layered upon a coffee like base. This gave it such a rich, complex and sugary profile that I was not even sure what was going on. As it warmed subtle notes of bourbon and licorice started to come though and blended in very well, keeping it sweet, but at the same time confirming its dark nature. The finish had a surprising amount of dry bitterness to it, that really caught me off guard being how sweet this was for the entire session,

overall this had to be the thickest, smoothest and creamiest beer I have ever had. I crave a good stout that has the consistency and feel of a chocolate shake, this almost one upped that,

4.11/5  rDev -9.5%

I tried this 2013 vintage chilled in a nonic from the 750ml. Enjoyed at the looking forward to spring stout tasting.

The color is dark brown with ruby hues when held to the light with light beige head with fine bead. The smell has a dark sugar and cocoa/fig-like earthy and raisiny aroma with slight alcohol odor. The feel is intense, big bold with rich viscous texture and more alcohol than average yet not over the top for the abv.

The taste is like a raisinette -mostly raisin with some chocolate in the taste which is more on the dark cocoa side with a slight yeast flavor and sweet dark sugar and vinous elements with a slight alcohol flavor that lasts after the swallow with so much residual sugar it leaves my lips sweet and I can taste the intensity as I lick them. This is one of the most intensely rich beers I have ever had -so much sweet qualities with strong alcohol in the taste which is the only drawback for me.

4.04/5  rDev -11%

750 mL bottle poured into a taster. Batch 2. Reviewed from notes.

Appearance - Dark brown, not quite black. Ruby flecks in the light. Mocha head that's gone pretty quickly.

Smell - Chocolate, bourbon, vanilla, and oak. Nice, until the booze. Wow is it boozy.

Taste - Sugar. Sugar again. Bourbon. Chocolate, then sugar and sugar again. Alcohol rounds it out, I guess. I get the chocolate, but there's no other evidence of a stout in there. Still, it tastes pretty damn good.

Mouthfeel - Sugary sweet. Diabetes in a bottle. 3 or 4 oz. is the most I could drink of this. Excruciatingly boozy.

Overall - It's so over the top. Better than BT, but only because of the chocolate flavor. There's barely a stout back there behind the barrel and chocolate.

4.62/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Served on-tap at the Bruery Line Party...I mean R.S. initiation party. Reviewed from notes.

A - Pours black as the devils soul with a small tan film of head, dissipating down to almost nothing, leaving light wisps of lacing down the glass.

S - Holy sweet heat batman. Tons of rich chocolate sweetness, vanilla, sweet malt, and bourbon heat. The alcohol is strong but it blends in quite well with all the other strong flavors. Very nice overall balance, all things considered.

T - Lots of chocolaty sweetness up front never really fading throughout consumption. Hints of vanilla, sweet malt, and strong bourbon help round things out. Finish is a mix of sweetness and bourbon, lingering for some time. This stuff is awesome. I can't wait to see what a little bit of time in the bottle will do to it.

M - Heavy body and flavor with moderate carbonation. Thick, sticky sweet, feel with plenty of lingering sweet heat in the finish.

D - Finally a beer that lives up to its own hype. I made sure I got a pour as soon as I walked into the party and I was glad I did. I enjoyed the overall mix of sweet chocolate and warm bourbon. One of the best stouts I have ever had. Glad I have a bottle of this in my cellar.

4.67/5  rDev +2.9%

It might have been the almost 4 hours in line that made this beer so good, but it deserves my (and others') praise anyway. Oh, and this beer deserves bonus points for the name.

A: Chocolate Rain is a devilish jet black elixir which comes from a cask perched atop the Bruery bar. It has no carbonation or head, nor does it need one.

S: Hotdamn! Now, this baby has a nose on it. I nearly experienced a failure of the nasal cavity from all the bourbon, chocolate, coffee, vanilla, brown sugar, roasted malt, and alcohol in this beer.

T: This picks up right where the nose leaves off. Absolutely facemelting flavors of vanilla, chocolate, bourbon, and roasted malt. A bit of booze comes though, but what else would you really expect?

M: As previously mentioned, the beer was served still--cask style. I think a bit of carbonation could have helped here, but I still found it to be very, very enjoyable. It did allow for a certain sensual experience that we don't often get the pleasure of enjoying.

D: As I mentioned in the taste portion of the review, the alcohol component is quite prevalent on the palate, and nobody should be surprised by this at nearly 20% ABV. But, it does detract from the drinkability, despite the awesome flavors and aromas. An amazing concoction.

4.5/5  rDev -0.9%

look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.75

Served in a wedding snifter.

For whatever reason, I still feel a decent amount of pride in the fact that I still have not seen the "Chocolate Rain" video in its entirety. Regardless, this stuff pours a very dark black-brown topped by a half-finger of wan sandstone foam. The nose comprises cheap boozy whiskey, wood, and a twinge of chocolate syrup. The taste holds notes of overly-sweet chocolate syrup, vanilla bean, toasted caramel, and bourbon. I don't ever say this, considering my sweet tooth is as long as an average femur, but this stuff was just way the hell too sweet for its own good. It's cloying, o'erwhelming, and wrong. The body is a hefty medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a semi-chewy feel. Overall, I don't get the praise this beer receives. I like incredibly sweet things, and it was too sweet for me. The bourbon is only there to color things in a drunken manner and provide an extra jolt of booziness, which itself is completely unnecessary, given the general booziness already pervading the proceedings. It was hard to finish my glass of this, and that worries me a bit. Not a fan.

4.67/5  rDev +2.9%

Bottle shared by drabmuh. Thanks Matt! Long time want for me.

The beer is dark brown with a thin, beige head. The aroma brings roast, booze, chocolate, vanilla. Smells great. The flavor takes it up a notch. A huge dose of vanilla, followed by chocolate, oak, and light roast with a warming alcoholic finish. Just superb. A beer to savor. Highly recommended.

4.39/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Shared tonight with several friends.
Pours an inky black without much of a head that musters but dissipates quickly. The aroma from this glass is heavenly. Deep rich caramel and chocolate with hints of brownie batter, roast, vanilla and a fair amount of alcohol. You can tell this is high in abv from the aroma, but it never seems harsh. The flavor follows the aroma but the alcohol is a bit more evident but it really never harsh. Rich chocolate, vanilla, roast, caramel, and molasses flavors melded into a high abv sipper. This would be an excellent brew to sip with a few friends on a cold night with some cigars or brownies. Thick body with a light level of carbonation and a sweet almost syrupy mouthfeel. I/we enjoyed the hell out of this beer tonight, too bad I may never see another bottle of this!

4.17/5  rDev -8.1%

750ml poured into a matching Bruery snifter. The brew streams a dark brown that settles in the glass more toward black. An initial 3/4 finger of tan froth dissolves to a fine ring around the edge of the glass. Some spotting of lace sticks to the glass that is minimal. There is a greater amount of alcohol legs that sticks to the glass than lace. A swirl agitates bubbles from solution that again creates a quick dissolving film. When held to the light, the brew looks more of a clouded brown with some yellowish/orange highlights around the edges.

The aroma is fairly strong with notes of cocoa and vanilla. These 2 characteristics are also present in the base beer but it is really exaggerated here in Chocolate Rain. The overall nose is quite sweet smelling and inviting with character that is reminiscent of brownie batter. As the brew warms up, the alcohol starts to come through with some solvent burning to the nostrils and a faint amount of dark fruity character.

The taste is sticky and sweet with an immediate rush of chocolate and strong vanilla flavoring. There is no hiding that 19.5% abv though. It comes surging out with bold fusels and a solvent kick that strips the sweetness from the inside of the mouth and burns all the way down the gullet. There is a bit of bitterness here towards the back that seems like unsweetened chocolate and a bit of fruity hop accent. Black licorice is evident in the aftertaste.

This is a full bodied brew with a modest amount of carbonation. It is thick and chewy yet a smooth sipper. This is an impressively bold brew with a shocking amount of cocoa and vanilla inclusion (moreso than I expected.) As far as drinkability goes, this one is a brute and is not something to be drank glass after glass of. It is rich and inviting and something I would like to be able to take in small samples on multiple occasions, not try and tackle an entire 750ml of. Fans of Black Tuesday will love this but in my opinion this is really hot right now. I wish I would have waited a year or more to open this.

4.5/5  rDev -0.9%

2015 bottle! Booze bomb desert beer!

4.53/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.25/5  rDev -6.4%

4.2/5  rDev -7.5%

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Reviewed from notes

A- Pours mostly black with dark brown hues around the edges. A small off-white head dissipates quickly, leaving no lacing.

S- The aroma is very in your face. Tons of whiskey, thick chewy fudge, vanilla, and oak. Alcohol soaked dark fruits, namely prunes, dates, and figs are also prevalent.

T- The flavor is sweet as expected. The most prominent flavors are actually the dark fruits previously mentioned. Roasted malts and a bit of bitter baker's chocolate make an appearance. The fudge and vanilla play supporting roles. There's big bourbon alcohol in the finish.

M- The mouth feel is super thick, smooth, and velvety. Just the right amount of carbonation. A significant, but not overwhelming amount of warming booze.

O- This is basically like drinking bourbon-soaked dark fruits with vanilla and fudge. A very tasty imperial stout!

Chocolate Rain from The Bruery