Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Oude Tart | The Bruery

The Bruery
thebruery.com

Style: Flanders Red Ale

Availability: Fall

Oude Tart is our take on a Flanders Style red ale. It has won back to back gold medals in that category at the World Beer Cup (2010 & 2012) as well as a gold medal at the Great American Beer Festival in 2010. This sour red ale ages in oak barrels for anywhere from 6 to 18 months before being carefully blended to taste. The resulting beer is pleasantly sour with hints of leather, dark fruit and toasty oak.

Added by Overlord on 12-20-2009

#619

Ratings: 2,465 |  Reviews: 401
3.98/5  rDev -7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

25 oz. champagne style bottle, delivered through Craftshack. Expensive bottle of beer at $22.00
@ bottle, plus shipping.

A-Deep reddish brown, murky in the glass. No head retention at all, despite ample carbonation.

S-Oak dominates right off, followed by sour cherries and a wine like sourness. I don't get any
malt/grain in this bouquet. Mainly oak woodiness.

T-Tart cherry, red grape juice and tangy sour apple. There's that oak again, dominant and lingering. Tough to pick out much else when the wood component is so strong.

M-A strong puckering sourness. Full carbonation, with medium body. Certainly not an expert on sours, but body seems proper for this beer. Malt backbone non-existent.

O-Years ago, I cut up hundreds of oak pallets for firewood, and the odor and sawdust taste left
an unpleasant impression on me. I have yet to sample a brew aged in oak that I truly relish.
Some, as this particular one, I enjoy, but that wood aspect always takes away from the experience. That said, this is a fine beer, and would perhaps benefit from a bit of aging to
my taste. A bit more malt balance would help too.

3.98/5  rDev -7%

2010 into a snifter

This is my first The Bruery offering at a wild ale. I am use to RR or Crooked Stave sours, so I am that dick teacher who gives C's for a B work. This beer is a little dry for me. Perhaps the first year of vintage is working against this one; it will be interesting to compare against the newer vintages I have in the cellar. Overall, I am happy, but not thrilled for this. I am looking forward to the next few wilds that The Bruery has for my palate.

3.99/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

3.99/5  rDev -6.8%

2013 bottle, this is my 3rd time having this I believe. Updated from a 4.5 'Had' rating.

A - Murky maroon with some orange highlights and a tan head. A thin ring and some spots of a cap remain by the end. Some flecks sit at the bottom.

S - Pretty sour with lots of lemon and dark fruit (cherries mostly) front and center. Lots of oak too with some vanilla and caramel as well.

T - Some more earthy funk and vinous tones showing up here, the main focus remains straight up puckering lemony tartness. Sour cherries prevalent as well but light on the 'dark fruit' end of the spectrum, considering the style. Nice vinegar, buttery oak barrel, and light vanilla sweetness.

M - Somewhat big feeling and smooth with medium carbonation. Sourness forces you to sip and savor.

O - Intense sourness overpowers most of the semblance of your typical Flanders, maybe would've liked it more balanced overall but still quite good.

Oude Tart from The Bruery