Toddy Barleywine | The Bruery

Awaiting 10 Reviews

The Bruery
thebruery.com

Style: American Barleywine

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

Added by d0ggnate on 05-16-2010

Reviews: 1 | Ratings: 2
4.15/5  rDev n/a

A collaboration beer between The Bruery and Intelligentsia. Toddy Barleywine is made with Kirundo Muyinga coffee from Burundi, roasted by Intelligentsia. Had an 8oz pour at The Linkery last night.

This beer poured to my glass with a strong, off-white two finger head layer, that lasted for a few minutes. The body appeared a hazy brown/amber color. Once the head faded a bit, I was able to get at the aroma better. I first noticed the strong, sweet malt aromas and a nice citrus hop presence. After letting the beer warm/settle, I was able to pick up very subtle coffee notes, as well. On taste, there is a very fruity, citrus quality to this beer. I thought of blood orange, citrus zest. The roasted coffee brings an interesting dimension, and remains secondary throughout this sample. This is definitely a barleywine with coffee and not a coffee barleywine. The mouthfeel was slick and body I would classify as medium. I don't know the ABV, but it was clear without being overwhelming that this was a beer I would enjoy slowly and not likely more than one in a sitting. Glad I had the chance to try it.

Toddy Barleywine from The Bruery