Do It To It Gruit | The Bruery

2.4/5

The Bruery
thebruery.com

Style: Scottish Gruit / Ancient Herbed Ale

Unhopped Saison Rue wort, with wormwood, sage, rosemary, and yarrow.

Added by womencantsail on 08-05-2010

Reviews by Halcyondays:
4.52/5  rDev +88.3%

On cask at The Bruery,

A: Pours a hazy opaque goldenrod amber, soft white head, some lace.

S: Sage city, reminds me a lot of the Buff, very herbal, some heather as well.

T: In the taste however, the wormwood and rosemary come to the forefront. Lots of green herbs, and a fennel type flavour (yarrow?). Mild malt, the herbs are great here. Delicious.

M: Medium-bodied, some big carbonation for the cask, smooth.

D: A really cool beer, I really hope this becomes a regular, one of the better new Bruery beers I've had in a while.

1.65/5  rDev -31.3%

On cask at the Bruery

A: The pour is a very muddy dark golden orange color with no head at all.

S: The nose is almost all rosemary and sage. There is a slight woodiness to the beer as well. Smells like a good rub for a roasted chicken.

T: Blegh, this is nearly undrinkable. I've had a few gruits before and while they're not my favorite, I find them to be enjoyable. This one is just pure rosemary and sage herbal flavor with a slight spiciness.

M: The body is somewhat thin and watery with very minimal carbonation from the cask.

D: This would be better served by being boiled down and used as a gravy or sauce for a roast of some sort. Definitely not something I want to drink.

2.85/5  rDev +18.8%

A- Hazy dull brown, no head, light carbonation.

S- Pine resin, herbs, rosemary, lavender.

T- Earthy and floral, bitter, piny, strong herb notes. More of a depth of flavors than other gruits I've had... for better or for worse. If you have an herb garden, you'll like this beer. I get a lasting bitterness that doesn't jive with me 100%.

M- Pretty good body, minimal carbonation but works for the beer. No sign of the ABV.

D- Moderate. Interesting for the style, drinkable, but more interesting than 'good'.

Do It To It Gruit from The Bruery