100% Barrel Fermented Autumn Maple | The Bruery

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Added by womencantsail on 08-18-2010

3.7

3.5/5  rDev -5.4%

Thanks to AndrewK for sharing this one at his tasting.

Pours a clear dark orange with a fizzy khaki head that settles to an oily film on top of the beer. Tiny dots of lace drip into the remaining beer on the drink down. Smell is somewhat sour and tart with some malt, spice, and mild fruit aromas. Taste is much the same with some woody flavors and an acidic quality with each sip. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a slightly crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a pretty good beer but it seems like there is just too much going on to be really cohesive.

3.75/5  rDev +1.4%

3.25/5  rDev -12.2%

3.55/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Poured from the bottle into a goblet.

Appearance: Pours a cloudy reddish amber with a layer of off white head that fades to a ring around the edge of the glass.

Smell: Vinegar and alcohol with some yams and a smell that reminds me of cooked vegetables. The sourness dominates and it reminds me of a flanders.

Taste: Vinegar and malt up front, definitely reminds me of a flanders. Dark fruit with a sweetness and strong tartness in the finish. The usual autumn maple flavors are definitely in the background.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with tingly carbonation and a dry finish.

Overall: This was very different from the original version. More like a flanders than anything else. Don't know that I'd have another, but I'm glad I got to try it.

4.25/5  rDev +14.9%

4.5/5  rDev +21.6%

3.42/5  rDev -7.6%

Finally getting to this one. Given to me by arbitrator at the fifty fifty release, thanks mihir, I appreciate it.

I love pumpkin ales but I've never been a big fan of the base beer (although I hear the BA version is great.) this ones gettin pretty rare these days. I believe this is 2 years and some change old now. (2009?)

750 poured into a tulip

A- look just like the base, deep slightly murky reddish orange. Barely a half inch of head that doesn't last too long. Disappears quickly to a ring around the glass.

S- smells like a over spiced pumpkin ale with a sourness scent in the back end. Very interesting, not sure which way the flavors will go with this guy.

T- the sourness comes out pretty strong on the front and end, taste like a soured pumpkin ale that isn't intergrated well, more like an accident. Not as bad as the stories I've heard of this guy. It's got a slight taste of oud bruin which is a favorite style of mine, I can enjoy this. I believe the very base beer is a brown.

M- mouthfeel is alright, well carbonated, no alcohol at all which is pretty impressive for a 10% beer, glad I dont need to be in at work till noon tomorrow haha.

O- this is an alight beer, wasnt site what to expect from a beer when it's been 100% barrel fermented, this one was not a complete train wreck however it doesn't surprised me it has been retired. Ive had much worse ( 1 Door comes to mind), and I actually enjoy this more than the regular version.

Give it a shot if you've got one, a must if ur doing a autumn maple tasting.

3.5/5  rDev -5.4%

2.5/5  rDev -32.4%

3.68/5  rDev -0.5%

750ml bottle into a tulip glass. Big thanks to BeerAndBourbon for this want of mine.

A - Dark reddish brown, fairly cloudy body. Almost no head forms, just some large dirty off white bubbles around the edge. Some decent legs and lacing

S - Its amazing what brett does to a beer. Smells like an oddly spiced thanksgiving gueze. Bright funky tones and vinegar, followed by some fall spices and earthy yam aromas and finally a bit of alcohol. The funk is very dominating.

T - Tart. Funky horse blanket and some notes that are borderline citrus, but not in the fruity sense. This is accompanied by earthy yams, caramel, and some nutmeg. A bit of oak as well, but no bourbon notes. Very interesting and unique. Mouth feel is a bit thin, but carbonation is moderate and decent for the flavors.

O - This is a much different beast than the regular autumn maple. The funk is on full display here, where as the yams and fall spices are faint and in the background. I think I liked this beer, it was just so....weird.

2.06/5  rDev -44.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

Maroon body with a small white head.

Acidic, funky nose. I'm starting to recognize it as the signature Bruery funk. Strangely vinous and cherry like.

The yams have gone bad in this one. I'm wondering why this was even made. It's a very strange beer to begin with. Brown sugar sweetness and yammy, like a thanksgiving dessert, then you toss in this sour rotten cherry vinegar flavor. It's like someone threw up on grandma's famous pumpkin pie.

4.05/5  rDev +9.5%

750 mL bottle from 2010 into a Portsmouth tulip, enjoyed on the first sub-50 degree night of the year. Thanks a lot for this beer Mark, it was totally off my radar.

This one isn't the belle of the ball: it pours a reddish, murky brown, with a half-finger light brown head made up of some of the biggest, loosest bubbles I've ever seen in a beer. Even aggressive subsequent pours didn't change the look of this one too much.

Just a ton of tart funk in the nose. Totally blind, I'd probably peg this for an Oud Bruin, and the vinegar is very present. But there are some very unique aromatic elements that do remind me of the regular Autumn Maple. Though I can't really detect yams, I do get a lot of sweet berries and some toasty coconut. Read aloud, that combination doesn't sound too appealing, but it works very well here.

A lot of bretty funk up front, combined with those rich, autumnal fruit flavors of Autumn Maple. Again, there is a very pronounced vinegar character reminiscent of an Oud Bruin or Flanders Red, but what gets me is the slight cheesy funk at work as well. This tastes earthy and sour, with just a touch of alcohol heat.

As the appearance indicated, the mouthfeel is a little flat, and a little thin as well. It certainly doesn't kill the overall package, but a little more carbonation would be nice. To me, this almost felt (and, actually, looked) like it was served from a cask.

I really wasn't a fan of the regular Autumn Maple when I tried it last year - I thought it was sort of a muddled, sub-standard fall seasonal that fell short of many pumpkin beers I enjoy. I never would have expected that Brett would improve this beer immeasurably, but the BA version really is a different animal. A very unique, very tasty beer.

4.54/5  rDev +22.7%

2010 Bottle...Thanks Chad for this opportunity to try this gem! Pours a muddy, reddish-brown with a small, off-white head that disappears quickly. Scent is WOW! Blowing my mind...wasn't expecting this. Tons off Brett...I didn't think this beer was wild or even sour...I love it! Smells delicious. Has some definite funk and spicy aromas...hints of vanilla and sweet malt, but the Brett is king in this department. Taste does not disappoint following such an amazing nose. Tart, pumpkin/yam flavors on the palate with spiciness in the throat. Once again, wasn't expecting this to be sour. Light cinnamon and nutmeg with some cherry sweetness. Mouthfeel is medium bodied and mouth puckering. Drinkability is very high. Overall, it's been so long since I've had regular Autumn Maple...but I can tell you this blows it outta the water. Amazing beer!

4.74/5  rDev +28.1%

2010 bottle poured into Bruery Tulip glass:

Appearance: slightly hazy, coppery brown in color, minimal head, that fades slowly.

Smell: Heavy Brettanomyces sent in the forefront, spices, maple syrup, brown sugar, yams (minimal compared to regular Autumn Maple).

Taste: Sour, spices, initially tastes very similar to Lost Abbey Veritas 003 or 004, then has the typical Autumn Maple spice, yam and molasses taste towards the finish.

Mouth: Light, bubbly, tart and acidic.

Overall: An amazing, funky beer. Completely unexpected taste and a major deviation from the run of the mill Autumn Maple.

100% Barrel Fermented Autumn Maple from The Bruery