Provisions Series: Gunga Galunga | The Bruery

Provisions Series: Gunga GalungaProvisions Series: Gunga Galunga

The Bruery
thebruery.com

Style: American Wild Ale

Gunga Galunga is a black beer with Thai influence. Brewed with 100% brettanomyces, kaffir lime leaves and galanga root (also known as Thai ginger, but it's not too ginger-like). This smooth, dry and roasty beer has clear notes of fresh citrus, crushed herbs and will compliment a spicy curry beautifully.

ABV: 7.7%, IBU: 25, SRM: 30, Release: One time only

Added by womencantsail on 08-18-2010

2.94/5  rDev -16.5%

Someone brought this to Goose Island on Thursday - was it Tom? Served in a taster pint glass.

A - Creamy light mocha foam that settles to a thin cap and thicker collar, but minimal lace. Near-black body with a glint of brown at the fringes - surprisingly dark stuff.

S - Indian spices, cardamom, sage, ginger, and a hint of alcohol. I have no idea what the beer tastes like underneath all the spices - none of the brett and roast character that you'd expect.

T - Taste is pretty much the same, but with a bit of cocoa present. Lots of spices and herbal flavors. Alcohol is a little better hidden than the aroma.

M - Watery medium body, light grain character, warming alcohol, and medium-low carbonation.

D - This just isn't very good. Spices are overpowering and unpleasant. That being said, it isn't horrible and is pretty much average for the thankfully infrequently brewed "spiced wild ale" category.

3.61/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Bottle thanks to route66pubs.

A - thunder jet black with a khaki head that lasts for minutes. Fantastic lacing.

S - complex is the word. Tea, licorice, juniper. Vanilla, coffee.

T - Light spicy sweetness with a bitter tea finish. Very interesting but super enjoyable.

M - smooth medium body. Light carb.

O - an awesome experiment that has potential. Would be cool to see some recipe adjustments, worth a try.

3.43/5  rDev -2.6%

Had at last year’s Black Tuesday release party and had again recently at a small tasting put together by wedgie9. Thanks! Reviewed from notes.

Appearance – Pours into a Lost Abbey tulip with a rather ominous appearance. Quite a bit of head is achieved with a somewhat vigorous pour that dissipates slowly but leaves little lacing.

Smell – Lots of lime, basil, herbs, spices, and roasted malts. Little if any barnyard funk or any other sour/tartness.

Taste – Not sure why this is listed as an AWA. Taste is of herbs and spices, dark roasted malts, lime, and ginger. As the beer warms some licorice qualities come out as well. Not the most pleasant beer.

Mouthfeel – Medium bodied, creamy mouthfeel, decent carbonation.

Overall – This is worse than I remember it being (granted I had a couple variations of BT in me by the time I had this at the BT release party). What an odd beer.

4.2/5  rDev +19.3%

There is a ton of stuff going on in this beer and I doubt I was able to pick out the majority of it. A complex, unique beer.

The beer pours a dark brown color with a nice-sized tan head. The aroma is heavy on the chocolate, ginger and mint. The flavor is just as complex with some other added notes. I get a ton of chocolate and mint notes as well as some ginger, lime and other herbal notes. There are also some nice roasted malt notes. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation. Very nice.

2.54/5  rDev -27.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Thanks to moz9 for this bottle. Poured July 2011.

Nice looking beer. The appearance is the best thing about it. Black in color, for some reason it reminds me of black wood, with a very nice head on top.

Big mint on the nose, woah. The beer is black in color but the nose only suggests green things--mint, weird leaves, pine needles. Smells a little bit like rotting trash too. Maybe a little sourness, but I'm not sure if that's from the rotting trash and mint or from wild yeast/bacteria.

Well, the taste is a little better than the nose. All the mint and leaves and so on from the nose are also in the flavor, but there's some roasty stout or porter like malt flavors there too that stop the the odd flavors from being sickeningly minty/piney. I thought this was supposed to be a sour, but it isn't. Very slightly tart on the finish, but it's not sour.

This reminds me a lot of Lucky Bucket's Certified Evil, though this isn't nearly as terrible as that one. Drinkable and interesting the first time but I don't really want to have it again.

5.1/10

4.32/5  rDev +22.7%

Probably my highlight of yesterday's Pittsburgh BA gathering at Bocktown, filled a portion of my sample glass with a dark cola russet brown with ruby highlights like cocoa tan head dwindled fairly quickly. Aroma was inviting with layers of citrus with kafir lime additions and spiced with Thai ginger, dark roasts weren't typical in the sense that I didn't get a loat of chocolate or coffee roast. More funky notes with a hint of plastic phenols some where saying band aid but I wasn't feeling it was overbearing to that point. Flavor was excellent there was something piney and spicy that I couldn't put my finger on, I'm guessing this was the Thai ginger that I've never tasted. A really unique beer and I guess it's the type of brew that drives us to seek out these interesting different brews. The dark malts provided a nice layer of dryness with hints of malt sweetness but the beers highlight was the interplay of citrus from the Kafir lime and the Galunga aka spicy ginger notes. I didn't get much phenolics, but the brett did it's job keeping the funk flowing and this beer interesting with hints of lactic acidity. As an American Wild ale I didn't find those overbearing in the sour side of the spectrum actually well balanced and well crafted. Carbonation was lively somewhat effervescent with a dry finish and medium bodied texture. Overall excellent beer, that gives me a bit more faith in the Bruery.

3.58/5  rDev +1.7%

Sampled at Redlight Redlight; January 2011
This beer pours from the bottle with a black color and a lightly browned, dark tan colored head. The aroma has a very bright, floral ginger-like not to it that seems to have a citrus-like component to it. The nose is really, really spiced and I am finding it quite difficult to get any sense of the base beer at all.

The flavor is much the same with a big ginger flavor as well as some solid lime-like flavors that provide some extra piquancy. The finish sees a hint of roasted character coming thorugh as welll as a touch of cocoa-like dusty grain notes and some toasted whole grain notes that add some rustic, brown bread character to the end of the beer.

I can’t remember the last time I had a beer that was so devoid of malt, hop and yeast character; devoid is perhaps the wrong word, as the malt & yeast character is here, there is just so much spiciness here that it drowns out the base beer almost completely. If you enjoy ginger and lime flavors then you will like this beer; luckily I do like these flavors and they were so over the top here that I found myself enjoying this quite a bit. I would bet that this has some great culinary uses, and given that I likely wouldn’t want to tackle anywhere near a full bottle of this, that would be a prudent use.

2.21/5  rDev -37.2%

Poured into chalice. Pours 1/2 finger of fizzy beige head. Color is a surprising jet black. Good retention, but no lace.

Aroma: Limes, spices, chocolate, odd funk. Very unique beer.

Taste: I get an odd chalky flavor and some green beans. Chocolate, limes, maybe brett. Odd. Kind of minty. Some booze shows.

Mouthfeel: Creamy, smooth, fizzy, and roasted. Medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. Ends kind of clean.

Overall, I wasn't too impressed with this one. Not really enjoyable. Not something for me and not something I would ever recommend.

3.39/5  rDev -3.7%

750mL bottle poured into a snifter. Thanks to Kyle for sharing!

(A)- Pours a dark brown, almost black color. Some tan foam & bubbles.

(S)- Very spicy. Vanilla, raisin, anise, licorice and molasses. Has just a slightly funky background to it.

(T)- Again, very spicy like the smell, but has a raisin, anise, and licorice profile. Slightly funky.

(M)- A good carbonation level and balance. Very spicy with some moderate bitterness. Rich.

(D)- A very different and unique beer. Spicy and exotic. The Brett that is supposed to be in here is very much hidden, but age could help bring that out.

4.15/5  rDev +17.9%

What an interesting beer

Pours a dark stout black. Nice tan head. Decent lacing.

Aroma is crazy. Smells almost like some sage and I can smell that Thai Ginger (galanga root).

Taste is interesting. Sort of roasty and spicy. Dry in the finish. Sort of citric. Very interesting.

Mouthfeel has great carb. Smooth and dry.

Overall a very tasty and very different and interesting beer. Glad I had it on tap here at Bruery Provisions and grabbed some bottles too.

4.1/5  rDev +16.5%

Poured from a bottle into by Bruery tulip.

Pours out very dark brown, possibly black. Once settled into the glass it is black in color with a very thick foam head. The head is dark mocha color. The foam settles to a surprisingly thin layer for how big the head initially was. No light gets through the body of this one. No lacing is left on the glass.

Well the smell on this one is pretty interesting. I'm getting some roast, lime (like listed on the bottle), and some other spices that I'm having trouble picking out.

Very roasty up front. Finishes with some lime which is more zest then the juice. The spices start to come through a bit more as this warms up (was served pretty cold). Ginger? I swear I'm getting that at times. The aftertaste is roastiness and some spice but is actually quite pleasant. One thing I'm left wondering if where is the Brett in all of this? Perhaps it's too young or maybe the Brett just won't be that big of a factor in this beer. I don't know how I would like this if it was sour. But regardless, still wondering where the Brett is.

A pretty creamy feel to this one. Not thick enough to be mouth coating but this has a nice feel to it.

I like it. It has the aspects I was expecting in a black ale and the spices are a nice addition to this. I'm interested to see how this will change as it ages. Only down to one bottle so I'll be waiting for awhile before I crack it.

3.55/5  rDev +0.9%

I got this one in a recent trade with Slvrmon82. Thanks again Matt! Poured into a tulip. The beer pours from the bottle with dark brown highlights and appears black sitting in the glass. A big light tan head sits atop and settles down to a solid thin layer that lingers with soapy lace. When I was pouring this one I could smell all kinds of fruit. As is sits in the glass the aromas kind of meld together and the brett aroma becomes a bit more dominant with black spicy tea aromas. Good smell, but I'd feel like the Brett comes through more than anything. The flavor is fruity. Juicy pear flavors and black peppercorn spice come through with a slight bit of funk to round out the flavor. The body is deceptively light on this one and the carbonation seems kind of harsh for some reason. Overall, this one is unique to say the least. A good effort from those crazy west coast guys.

3.1/5  rDev -11.9%

Thanks to Bendurgin for sharing! Poured dark brown into a tulip. There are a couple inches of head that thins out but still covers the entirety of the body.

This has a nice fruity pineapple smell and a hint of some stout like aromas like coffee and chocolate. Kind of unique.

The taste is slightly less impressive. The brett flavors compremise the malt flavors and visa versa. The roasted flavors are there, but mellowed. The brett is hardly noticeable.

This is very very light in body and the mouthfeel is slightly sharp. Not bad but nothing particularly helpful to this beer, whatever style it is.

Glad to try it, and it is pretty drinkable; non of the flavors are offensive. I just don't really see the point. I was most excited by the aroma.

4.05/5  rDev +15.1%

Poured from a 750ml bottle into two St. Bernardus goblets. Thanks to HollyAnn for the assist! Extra special thanks to Tom, Heidi, and Camden for the hook up!

A: Pours a deep cola brown with some faint chestnut highlights. Initial pour got us a nice dark khaki head that sadly didn't hang around for very long. Lace was minimal.

S: Interesting dark fruit, cola nut, and lime zest aroma. Bitter dark chocolate, mint, oak, and black cherry.

T: Extremely close to the smell. I swirled in the sediment and found a layer of creamy, milk chocolate, white pepper, bark, and cardamom.

M: A neat mixture of sweet, tangy, spicy, and dry. I liked the fact that it came off a little raw and unrefined. Finishes with a bit of peppery sizzle. Really quite full and coating.

D: Interesting and different. I'd drink this again in a heartbeat if I could get more. Thankfully I have a hook-up or two in Silver Lake, so I got that going for me...which is nice!

3.97/5  rDev +12.8%

Pours a deep, brilliant black color with light cream colored frothy head that settles in for the rest of the beer. Soft carbonation and light dipping lacing make for inviting eye candy.

Aromas of burnt molasses, spicy cardamom, light vanilla, mild woody earthiness, and soft sweet floral undertones. Spiced beers are often overpowering and heavily weighted with one dominant flavor, but this has a complex nose that invites through intrigue.

Flavor starts soft with subtle sweet licorice moves to a middle of caramel and molasses roasted sugar notes and finishes with spicy ginger, cardamom and light alcohol warmth. Well balanced flavors that provide roundness with light peaks of interest.

Mouthfeel is soft and light bodied with carbonation a little lighter than I would like. Some more carbonation "pop" could be nice to match the spiciness.

A good beer but the intensity of flavors would build to an unpleasureable level after several glasses.

3.53/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

129th Review on BA
Bottle to Tulip

App- A big dark pour with some ruby highlights in the light. Poured a very dark brown almost black with a big 2 finger pillowy head.

Smell- After it got passed around the room and I finally got to smell it. I get the lime of course, honey, almond and yeast.

Taste- A bold mix of flavors in this glass. It's quite different but not bad. I find it to be above an average beer just a lot to get used to.

Mouth- Its a medium bodied beer with what seems to be a mid/high carb level. Its presents kind of in a semi-dry wine sort of way.

Drink- Its a fine beer in its own way. Unique, raw, different and it aims to be. Not for everyone, but some beers aren't and that's okay. I was split on my comfort level of this beer but ill say it was a 70/30 like/dislike.

3.68/5  rDev +4.5%

Bottle shared by drabmuh. Served in a snifter.

Really interesting beer. I'll start off with that. Also, i actually liked this quite a bit. Pours black with a single-finger head. The nose brings some basil, lime, and menthol. Strange, but pretty interested. A bit of roasted character fills in the background.

Taste is basil and lime. Maybe it's just me, but I like what The Bruery does with basil. Roasted malt character and lime there as well. A slight touch of chocolate. Body is medium and has nice carbonation. Light and really easy-drinking. An interesting concoction.

3.18/5  rDev -9.7%

Bottle shared by drabmuh at a local tasting. Thanks Matt!

A: Dark brown in color, with a healthy, beige head. The appearance is the best aspect of this beer.

S: Extremely spicy, herbal, vegetal. Whoa!

T: Over the top. While I appreciate the extreme nature of this beer, as well as pushing the limits of brewing and what a beer can be, this is just hard to drink. It's incredibly spicy and vegetal, with an odd assortment of garden herbs present throughout the aroma and flavor.

M: Medium body with fairly low carbonation. Again, this is an oddity.

D: A pleasure to sample. I commend Patrick Rue and The Bruery for pushing the limits of craft brewing and embracing creativity. However, that doesn't mean I can, or would want to drink more than a couple ounces of this.

3.38/5  rDev -4%

From 12/12/10 notes. Had at a local tasting thanks to drabmuh; thanks Matt.

a - Pours a black color with an inch of tan head and light carbonation.

s - Smells of lime, roasted malts, and some herbs or spice. A bit odd.

t - Tastes of lime, roasted malts, spices, and chocolate. Also some weird mint/herb in the aftertaste?

m - Medium body and low carbonation, smooth and creamy.

d - An odd spiced fruit beer. The lime and roasted malts were kind of weird together. Glad I got to try it but probably wouldn't seek it out again.

2.4/5  rDev -31.8%

Thanks to Jason for sharing this one.

A - It's brown, somewhat murky and dead looking.

S - Spiced all to hell, not something I generally care for in beers, but kind of what I suspected, doesn't mean it smelled good. A little bit like tea, with something I can't quite identify.

T - Bizzare herb taste, bit of mint, and just way spiced. Different, but not in a good way. Don't like it.

M - Medium bodied and carbonated, mouthfeel was fairly unnoticable.

D - Hard to drink given the poor tasting experience, won't have this again.

3.16/5  rDev -10.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

750ml bottle poured into my Narke tulip...Pours a dark brown with a really light tan head. The head settles to a light soapy head, pour lacing...The aroma is not my thing at all, tons of spice, reminds me of a Christmas beer, black licorice, eucyaliptis (too strong), ginger, and nutmeg on the back. Does not make me want to drink this at all...The taste is really light, thankfully. There is light spice, but I'm just bored. The ginger comes through mostly.

Not disappointed as I had no expectations.

3.97/5  rDev +12.8%

Poured a very dark brown almost black with a half finger of tan head and left a little lacing sticking to the glass. The aroma was quite intresting consisting of spices, herbal, ginger, lime leafs, roastiness, chocolate malts, and slight coffee notes as well. The ginger and lime leaves were a bit more potent on the palate with some mint character alongside roasty herbal coffee accents but still had chocolate malt flavors. The brew was medium in body with a good amount of carbonation which had a herbal, spice, slight sweet and mild astringent, but earthy finish; very intresting. It drank decent considering the madness going on but to me its one that I would be done with after one bottle. Its still worth trying.

2.38/5  rDev -32.4%

I gave this to some folks in trades. Several of them specifically wanted it. Hmm....I hope it agrees more with them.

Pours a murky brown. Light tan foam.

Smells boozy, with some grassy lime notes, and some roasted herbal spices. Oooo ... so .... herbal.

Taste has a weird mint aftertaste, lime, that medicinal/herb undercurrent, some grass/yeastiness. If you like those flavors, perhaps you'll like this more than I did. Finishes bone dry. Any sort of sweetness might have livened this up.

Well carbonated.

I don't know what to say. I feel like the brilliant brewers over at the Bruery (say that three times real fast) swing for the fences a lot. They hit way more than their fair share of home runs (we know about B. Tuesday, Melange 3, Oude Tart, etc., but Premiere from this batch of releases was fantastic) but they strike out every once in a while, too.

2.02/5  rDev -42.6%

Chilled bottle into a glass. I don't know who shared this... Nanoslug? To the surprisingly effeminate, suddenly beardless Adam (who has great legs): thanks.

A: Pours a dark brown color. Even a small pour is opaque. It's capped with some tan foam.

S: This smells interesting. The kaffir lime is quite noticeable, as well as a base roast. It's also menthol-y and carries a hint of booze. It actually reminds of some after-dinner olamo paan ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paan ) in its aroma.

T: Yes, paan. Lime, menthol, some roast, a basil light leafiness. It's interesting, but altogether gross.

M: Medium-bodied. Semi-dry. I'm not even sure what's wrong here, but I don't like it. The mentholy flavor makes it unappealing.

D: This beer was an interesting experiment, and that's kind of it. It's not horribly offensive, but it doesn't pass for good, either. largadeer managed to pronounce this as a beer that was "not palatable" and "not something I wanted to finish" and admitted that "I couldn't drink enough of it to review," but it's "not an F, maybe a B-," which makes exactly zero sense. But then, it physically pains him not to give everything an A+. This is not the worst beer I've ever tried, but if you don't even want to drink it....

3.75/5  rDev +6.5%

What an odd beer....beer served in a Bruery tulip. Beer is black with a thin broken head of small bubbles that leaves some lacing on the glass with moderate carbonation.

Beer smells like lime and basil, oh boy, here we go.

Beer is medium in body and bright in the mouth with big citrus and finishes with a basily sense. Its not as bad as some other basil, or heavily spiced beers I've had recently, but its quite good overall. Drinkability is good and I'd have it again at a tasting but overall its just an OK beer. I like the rarity of it.

Provisions Series: Gunga Galunga from The Bruery