Provisions Series: Salt Of The Earth | The Bruery

thebruery.com

Style: Gose

Added by t0rin0 on 02-26-2011

1.32/5  rDev -61.8%

This bottle was opened at a recent tasting sampled side by side with the Upright Gose. This was my first time with the style and was excited to finally try some examples. I'm also happy we had one excellent example (Upright) and then as a counterpoint; this beer.

It pours a very hazy cloudy straw yellow. Fluffy white head with medium retention.

The nose is so salty it's like a brine, or even a dry ocean air. I was prepared for a salty beer but I was not prepared for the accompanying levels of sweaty feet. I like a good funk but this was at near rancid levels and had no redeeming qualities.

While I thought the nose was pretty bad, it did not make me gag like the taste did. Once again the closest comparison I can make is sweaty feet, like wringing out a marathon runners sock into a glass. The salt is way overdone in a 'drinking sea water' type way and whatever 'souring' bugs they used were not kind of the beer. If a sour mash was used in this beer, it didn't turn out good. It's reminiscent of a when I'm lazy and don't clean out my mash tun for 2 days.

The salt drys out the mouth and gives a parched mouthfeel. I can't even describe the rest of the mouthfeel mostly because I wanted it out of my mouth as quick as possible.

I'm so glad we had another tasty Gose to try side by side, otherwise I'd have sworn off the style as a cruel joke. This is just a swing and a miss for the Bruery.

1.7/5  rDev -50.9%

I held off on reviewing this beer because its evident I don't like Goses. It was broken out at a tasting. Since I'm still haunted by this beer, I think a review is in order.

Pours a frightening wine like yellow with ominous chemistry lab fizzing. Uh oh. Smells salty. Very salty. Uh oh x2. I'm actually gonna drink this stuff? Just like ocean water. Salty, organic, get it out of my mouth please!

Everything else from the Bruery I've loved and been grateful for the chance to try. You gotta hand it to em though. The hallmark of a great brewery is that their bad beers are not meek disappointments but rather daring fiascos. By that measure the Bruery is great. For all I know this is action an exemplary Gose. Do me a favor, have some other Goses and get back to me. I'll take your word for it.

1.75/5  rDev -49.4%

2.01/5  rDev -41.9%

Par of the epic tasting at jackie o's with brad and crew

A-hazy yellow, almost pee yellonice try, but nl thanksw with a whithard to describe other than really uniquee lacy head
S-very unique and hard to describe. A little bit of salt, which I have never had before
T-little bit tart, lot of bit nasty
m-it feels like ants in my pants
O-nice try but no thanks

2.29/5  rDev -33.8%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Bottle shared by BeerFMAndy.

Cloudy orange gold hue. solid finger of white head. The aroma is a warning not to drink it. Salt water soaked vegetables with a hint of citrus and dirt. Flavor is so overly salty. Like a mouthful of salt water while swimming. Mild citrus and green leaves. Fairly light body with solid carbonation. I appreciate the craftsmanship. Not for me though.

2.32/5  rDev -32.9%

Pours clear yellow with a big white head. Smell is truffles. Taste is truffles, some salt, a little sourness. Mouthfeel is slimy and fizzy at once. This is one terrible beer -- or, rather, I can't tell what this beer is like, because of the damn truffle salt. Fail.

2.35/5  rDev -32.1%

2.36/5  rDev -31.8%

I had such high hopes, and they were dashed upon the rocks by this Bruery beer.

Pops with gusto, pours a hazy yellow, pale and golden with a creamy head. Smells earthy, citrus, and corny. Taste is mostly grain and coriander, with a salty aftertaste.

Goses are a style I love. The herbs, the salt, the sour, it molds into a great flavor that can be drunk all day. This brew, did none of that and just left a sad taste of fail in my mouth. It was inoffensive, but that's about the best thing I can say.

2.5/5  rDev -27.7%

2.5/5  rDev -27.7%

2.54/5  rDev -26.6%

Pours a light yellow. Big white frothy bottles.

Smells like musty earth with a bit of peppery spiciness and ... egads ... the salt. The salt aroma/flavor of this beer is unique. And not for me

Tastes earthy, with kind of a moldy lightly peppery aftertaste that might be pleasant, were it not for the salt. Kind of like a bracing brackish seawater overtone that doesn't do it for me.

Mouthfeel is light and fluffy. Not a bad base, but I can't take the salt.

2.6/5  rDev -24.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

A Gose? I'd like one please. On to the beer:

Small carbonation bubbles race through the light yellow color of the beer. Lots of creamy lacing sticks from the large, well retaining head. The nose; soft, but too intense with the salt. Very little else crawls out to greet the nose.

Easy there tiger, that's a lot of salt I'm tasting. More specifically, seasoning salt. Like most spcies/seasonings, that's fine in small quantites, but nobody is asking for a spoonful of cinnamon to put directly into their mouth. To be fair, the taste becomes less salt dominant as more beer is consumed. A light tartness attempts to balance the salt, but never does. At least it's light enough that I can consume it without forcing myself.

Salt Of The Earth might be better for cooking french fries or seasoning a steak than for drinking. With so many better Bruery offering easily available, SOTE is one and out.

2.64/5  rDev -23.7%

From notes. Poured from a 750 mL bottle into a tulip. Thanks to Dunt for bringing this over and then leaving it in my fridge for a few weeks. No seriously, that was great.

The beer pours a faded golden straw color, mostly transparent with a little bit of haze. A white cap froths up with the initial pour before slowly fading.

Salt of the Earth definitely has a strange nose. There is a light dry malt character that reminds me of a saison, a strong burst of lemon zest, some saltiness, and some vegetal and skunky notes that are not that pleasant.

The flavor starts with a light, dry, crackery malt with a little bit of pepper. A strong lemon tartness is full and strong without being piercing. Some other light fruits are noticeable as well. Toward the end of the sip it definitely turns salty. The salt proves to dry the mouth out further and leave my mouth with milder version of what dying of thirst must be like. There is a mushroom and vegetal flavor that covers the entire sip. The carbonation is slightly crisp, and the beer has a smooth, light body. It is very dry, a sensation that is only accentuated by the saltiness.

Overall this was rough enough that I did not want to finish my glass.

Provisions Series: Salt Of The Earth from The Bruery