Provisions Series: Salt Of The Earth | The Bruery

Style: Gose

Added by t0rin0 on 02-26-2011

Reviews: 86 | Ratings: 172
3.49/5  rDev +0.9%

This beer poured almost like a fizzy yellow beer to me, not sur if it was because i got the top of the bottle but, it was almost clear with a two finger head, i would not consider this hazy. Maybe it is because I cook a lot but, I really enjoyed the smell, i could clearly smell the truffle, it smelt like truffle oil was added to this beer. I get notes of colander and actually a bit of salt in this. Taste is like a larger with some truffle oil (natural truffle smelling) and salt added to it, that's the best I can describe it. Not much tartness, if any at all to this, especially compared to the Upright Gose. Malts in the finish. Truffle salt is defiantly present which i don't mind add all adds a different twist. Medium bodied through the finish. This would not be my top pick but still a decent twist on a light, refreshing summer beer

4.01/5  rDev +15.9%

Huge thanks to pitasoup for the want and for the opportunity to try a brand new style! Thanks Peter!

Pours a cloudy, sunny yellow. Head was fairly bright white, with grand retention and lace. Aroma didn't produce a whole lot. Mostly there was some dry citrus notes, slight breadiness, and a sort of earthyness. The taste proved to be much more complex. Citrusy hops were definitely used here as they are easily present. There's a saltyness, and a spiciness to it, lightly bready like crackers. It's unique, and strangely enjoyable. The feel is very crisp, almost effervescent and slightly stingy on the carbonation end. But it works so to speak. The finish is quite dry and salty...which I like. Overall, I'm enjoying this. I don't have any other experience with Gose, but I'm definitely amped to start added some!

4.03/5  rDev +16.5%

Shared this one with mikesgroove during Hobo Tasting #9! Served from bottle into a Bell's tulip. Poured a massively hazy straw yellow with a three finger white head that subsided to one finger very slowly. Maintained phenomenal lacing throughout. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, banana, subtle spices, and slight salt. The flavor was of sweet malt, banana, spices, and slight salt. It had a medium feel on the palate with medium carbonation. Ovearll this was a pretty tasty brew. Very nice and light character to this one that made it really easy to consume and quite enjoyable. The good flavor and aroma helped with this as well. Really glad I decided to share this one!

3.25/5  rDev -6.1%

Appearance: Cloudy golden straw with a smallish head

Smell: I get some oily truffle aromas up front, very odd. I don't notice any salt

Taste: Again, the oily truffle tastes dominate, perhaps with a touch of salt. Also some black pepper and wheat. I wish they'd just used regular salt and kept it traditional and saved this once they had the traditional recipe down.

Mouthfeel: Medium body, decent carbonation

Overall: You have to be able to follow the rules before you bend or even break them, shame they didn't start with a regular gose and diversify.

3.09/5  rDev -10.7%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Cracked open a bottle of this at JoeySchlitz's place last week. Poured hazy yellow with white head. Wow - they aren't kidding that this is brewed with truffle salt. Smell is just dominated by truffles. I love truffles, but this is a little overpowering on the nose for my taste. The taste, on the other hand, is well-balanced and the truffles are nicely integrated. Light, refreshing, truffles, light citrus, and a hint of salt. Would go well with a burger. Overall, a very interesting beer, but not one I will rush to try again.

3.88/5  rDev +12.1%

Thanks to Jesse for this bottle.

A: Pours a cloudy yellow with huge white head.

S: Tart lemon and a hint of hops

T: Initial lemon followed by salt and a hint of tobacco. Has some underlying tartness. Finish is mild hops. I have had just two others in this style, and this is by far the best tasting one.

M: Light body with great carbonation.

O: Very drinkable for the style.

3.88/5  rDev +12.1%

Appearance: Cloudy straw-yellow color with a thick foamy white head that slowly faded.

Smell: Earthy truffle salt aromas come through with some spice from the coriander.

Taste:The truffle salt and spice from the coriander come through in the taste. There is a slight tartness which ends in a fairly dry finish.

Mouth-feel: Fairly light body with a lively carbonation.

Overall: First and only Gose I've had so I will try to review this one again after trying some other examples. The good thing is I liked this beer enough to pique my curiosity to try out other examples. From the style guidelines this one appears to be spot on.

4.37/5  rDev +26.3%

shared with calton after work in hobo tasting number 9, my new favorite style for sure!

the pour was a very hazy yellow color with a bug head of white that reached enormous foamy depths before calming down a touch. really nice look to it.

then came the classic gose. nice rich banana and cloves, hints of light citrus and a nice salty finish that begged you to try some more. really just well done. light body was creamy with a great finish and a really solid presentation.

overall i was very impressed with this one, i am really looking for this more and more on shelves, really impressed.

3.91/5  rDev +13%

25.4oz bottle poured into a tulip glass.

A - Light orange with a explosive 4-finger white head.

S - Little smell - spice and some citrus tones.

T - Wheat, but mild. Some fungus after taste.

D - very carbonated.

O - Smooth and light - very light.

3.39/5  rDev -2%

Cool ass hazy yellow beer with a massive 2.5" head to it that looks as comfortable to lie on as a slightly broken in high end pillow. Aroma was constrained, mild citrus, didn't really pick anything up from it.

Taste, jeez, not so much 'salt' as mineral salt. Reminded me of those Calistoga mineral waters that was kind of the rage back in the 80s. Light lemon feel to it. A mix of hefeweizen and mineral water. Super mild amount of sour or tartness to it, very minor, nothing like in a wild ale, more like a summer beer's tartness. Some sage or rosemary like herbal presence.

Just not likely to be a beer for the beer geek masses. Not a stout, not really sour, not hoppy, not all that rare. Neat to drink something different.

3.45/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Bottle generously shared by jale at a small tasting at Jackie O's (thanks Jim!). Gose is definitely not one of my favorite styles, but I was happy to get a shot at an American take on it.

It pours a pale golden color with a THICK head of foam, 4 fingers or so. Odd smelling as all goses are, salty and weird, with a tart lambicus component that added some interest for me. Less salt flavor than others I've tried, also less than expected from the aroma, but still definitively there. Slightly tart, dry, and funky.

Glad to have only a small pour, I definitely wouldn't look forward to an entire 750ml of this by myself.

3.18/5  rDev -8.1%

So ... Not sure how to review this...

pours a hazy light yellow with tons and tons of head. Looks very odd.
Smells odd.... Salty and a touch malty.
Tastes salty, herbal a bit... Kind of a strange combintion of flavours. Can't detect any coriander at all.
Mouthfeel is well carbonted and overall very odd. I am very much not sure how i feel about this.

ADDED salt on the rim of the glass and a lime. Much better!

2.01/5  rDev -41.9%

Par of the epic tasting at jackie o's with brad and crew

A-hazy yellow, almost pee yellonice try, but nl thanksw with a whithard to describe other than really uniquee lacy head
S-very unique and hard to describe. A little bit of salt, which I have never had before
T-little bit tart, lot of bit nasty
m-it feels like ants in my pants
O-nice try but no thanks

1.32/5  rDev -61.8%

This bottle was opened at a recent tasting sampled side by side with the Upright Gose. This was my first time with the style and was excited to finally try some examples. I'm also happy we had one excellent example (Upright) and then as a counterpoint; this beer.

It pours a very hazy cloudy straw yellow. Fluffy white head with medium retention.

The nose is so salty it's like a brine, or even a dry ocean air. I was prepared for a salty beer but I was not prepared for the accompanying levels of sweaty feet. I like a good funk but this was at near rancid levels and had no redeeming qualities.

While I thought the nose was pretty bad, it did not make me gag like the taste did. Once again the closest comparison I can make is sweaty feet, like wringing out a marathon runners sock into a glass. The salt is way overdone in a 'drinking sea water' type way and whatever 'souring' bugs they used were not kind of the beer. If a sour mash was used in this beer, it didn't turn out good. It's reminiscent of a when I'm lazy and don't clean out my mash tun for 2 days.

The salt drys out the mouth and gives a parched mouthfeel. I can't even describe the rest of the mouthfeel mostly because I wanted it out of my mouth as quick as possible.

I'm so glad we had another tasty Gose to try side by side, otherwise I'd have sworn off the style as a cruel joke. This is just a swing and a miss for the Bruery.

2.95/5  rDev -14.7%

Thanks to Scalene for this one. By way of light whale BIF 2. Poured from a 750ml capped bottle into a Harpoon Weizen glass.

A: Standard pour yields a huge, 7 finger frothy white head with annoyingly good retention. I want to get to my beer damnit! Color is a cloudy, pale yellow. Lacing is stringy with robust with good cling. Pretty standard but the head is a bit overwhelming.

S: Nose is very distinct. Lemon rind, a sharp spiciness, and a subtle, but unmistakable new rubber smell. Weird. Not bad or off-turning, but very weird.

T: Opens with a new rubber taste. Like I've been chewing on a rubber duck. Lemon rind, some miscellaneous spiciness that I can't put my finger on. Tartness towards the end with a mild yeasty bitter presence. Finish is more rubberiness with an aftertaste of wet wood chips dipped in rubber. Awkward.

M: Light bodied and well carbonated. Spicy and abrasive in the mouth but somehow very dead. Goes down with some bubbles with a sticky, messy aftertaste that lingers. Very dull.

O: In and of itself, the gose style is, in my opinion, already a twisted, inferior version of the hefeweizen. Salt of the Earth doesn't do anything to change my mind and the feel it gives is particularly dull and boring. Not many goses around so this is worth a try, but its pedestrian at best.

2.71/5  rDev -21.7%

Bottle courtesy of bmanning. Served in a tulip.

Pours a cloudy straw color with an average white head that lasts for quite a bit. Just a bit of lacing on the way down. The nose brings forward straw and wheat along with way too much coriander. A little bit of bread there. Almost a sage character there as well. The flavor has a lot of coriander and herbal characteristics plus a fairly-harsh saltiness. Too much of the truffle salt. Body is light and fizzy with a bitter and dry finish. Very odd and not one of the better gose beers I've come across.

3.23/5  rDev -6.6%

Pours a clear, almost white wine/pear juice color, with a fluffy white head. Good lacing.

Earthy white grapes on the nose. I definitely pick up some saltiness and a little bit of Belgian spice. Light malts. Slightly earthy funk.

Tastes like a Belgian pale with a good dose of salt and light earthy brett. Belgian spice (coriander). Not bad, but not really my thing.

Mouthfeel is quite dry, salty on the finish. Belgian pale body. ABV is unnoticeable.

Overall, this is an interesting beer. I'm not a huge fan of the salt. Kind of odd. I still appreciate the Bruery trying to do something different, but this one doesn't really work. Probably not worth seeking out, unless you're looking for the tick.

2.32/5  rDev -32.9%

Pours clear yellow with a big white head. Smell is truffles. Taste is truffles, some salt, a little sourness. Mouthfeel is slimy and fizzy at once. This is one terrible beer -- or, rather, I can't tell what this beer is like, because of the damn truffle salt. Fail.

3.98/5  rDev +15%

Poured into a weizen glass just shy of clear, a deep golden straw color, with a pillowy white head piled up high. Smells of spicy wheat, lemons and orange zest, I smell some salty sourness deep underneath. Very hefe like to me. Grainy earthy spicy flavor with more of the citrus and spices that were in the nose. Pilsener malt with a sour edge and a strange bite that I can only assume comes from the salt. Spirited level of carbonation provided a stream from the bottom of the glass right down to the end. Medium body with a citrusy tart mouthfeel. Interesting beer that kind of grew on me. I'd love to try some others but this may not be the style for me.

3.68/5  rDev +6.4%

A: poured straw pale yellow in color with yellow highlights and had a half finger of head leaving plenty of lacing sticking to the glass.

S: lots of citrus in the aroma upfront like orange zest along with a variety of spices like coriander but did get applesauce notes and a slight hint of brett.

T: the taste confirmed that it had a little funky brett character with citrus zest, spice, corinader, applesauce notes and a touch of grain undertones.

M: the brew was light to medium in body with a moderate amount of carbonation which had a citrusy, spice, grainy, bretty funky and prickly finish.

D: it was definitely drinking quite well but to be honest it just wasn't my cup of tea though I was glad to taste yet another gose style brew.

4.39/5  rDev +26.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Pours a hazy golden wheat with a big three fingers of head that recedes slowly. Nose is an impressive mix of clove, banana, rhum agricole, fresh baked salted pretzel, with an earthy black truffle and pork belly coming out after about 10 minutes - really interesting stuff. The taste is full of clove, coriander some white pepper, bright lemony citrus, barrel aged rum, somewhat grassy and herbal with a salty note at the end. Creamy and complex in the mouth with enough acidity and carbonation to stay balanced. Maybe i just really have found i love this style of beer, but i found it to be great and truly complex and unique.

4.17/5  rDev +20.5%

Light tan and hazy with a decent head and chunks of great lacing.

Smell is very hard to peg but also hard to stop sniffing the glass. Citrus rinds and dry lemons come to mind.

Taste is strangely dry and a bit woody, along with a touch of funk, citrus peel and plenty of spices. You can somewhat taste the saltiness that comes with the brew, it adds a nice touch but isn't at all overdone.

Excellent smooth and rich mouthfeel, with silky carbonation and a lightly lemon aftertaste.

Overall this one is quite good. Can't wait to try the rest of my offerings from the bruery received in a great trade with pitasoup.

4.62/5  rDev +33.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On-tap as part of a flight at the Bruery Provisions Shop. The girlfriend and I enjoyed many of these during our visit.

A - Clear, light straw with a fluffy white head that recedes to a nice haze.
S - Earthy aromas of wheat, "minerally" rock salt, and an unmistakable truffle smell. Wonderfully unique and amazing.
T - Very similar to the nose, earthy and "minerally", with a definite truffle twist. The coriander pops out nicely as well, lots of that slightly spicy, peppery character. I'm really loving this.
M - Slick, with a medium-thin body and crisp carbonation.
O - Incredibly unique and enjoyable, the Bruery took one of my favorite oddball beer styles and elevated to to an unheard-of level on enjoyment. Well done!

4.13/5  rDev +19.4%

shared with whiterascal

A: pours out a slightly hazy, straw yellow with a big white fluffy head. the head stayed around for awhile and left some lacing down the glass.

S: i get quite a bit of lemony citrus in the aroma. some coriander and orange peel. there is also some earthiness and a little bit of saison-esque yeast aroma. some salt in the back of the aroma as well.

T: this has some spiciness from the coriander. there is hints of coriander and white pepper. nice straw flavors and some musty earthiness. it is pretty dry and finished slightly bitter and salty. i really like the salt in this beer, and the earthiness the truffles add. there isnt much acid or sourness. it is pretty masked, but still a good beer.

M: it has medium carbonation with a medium-thin body. a little fizzy in the mouth.

O: i really like this beer and wish i could get more than the 3 allocations.

4.1/5  rDev +18.5%

750mL poured on 4/24/11 Thanks to Andrew K for this extra! Happy Easter!

A-Beautiful hazy golden color with a nice 3 finger head. Good lacing that sits up well.

S- Subtle truffle, little citrus, hay and a distinct earthiness

T- I taste a subtle truffleness, spicey as in coriander-ish, zesty, pretty earthy and a little funkiness not as in way of a saison or farmhouse, but very tasty. Maybe since I'm a truffle freak, I'll add my $30 truffle salt for good measure. Would be great with food.

M- Very good. Good carbonation. This beer keeps getting better for me.

Overall- I would buy this beer if it were at my local beer shop. And, anything truffle...has my heart!

Provisions Series: Salt Of The Earth from The Bruery