Mischief Gone Wild | The Bruery

Alströms:

2.25/5  rDev -38.9%

2.59/5  rDev -29.6%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured into my Darkness snifter.

A very nice golden color. Giant, mountainous off white head. Probably need to get the tape measure out to judge this one. Lots of sour, tart and funky spice like notes. This beer is very carbonated. Based on the amount of head, one could figure that. There is some slight fruit tones in my mouth somewhere but they get pushed aside. This beer tastes pretty damn medicinal to me and finishes very dry. This beer was flat out gross. No idea why they would let this leave the brewery.

2.75/5  rDev -25.3%

2.93/5  rDev -20.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Dusted off the old bottle from the corner of my cellar, popped it and filled my bruery luau glass from 2013.

A - brew pours a crisp, transparent yellow with a creamy cap of a zillion little bubbles holding hands. Lots of visible carbonation raced to the surface of the brew.

s - nose is not very bretty or belgian paley for that matter. Big burst of melon tartness. More sweet than sharp. Alcohol phenols.

t/m/o - a bit of a mess. Boozy melon crossed with tangy zesty fruit. It isn't awful but this isnt the kind of beer you want a 750 of to the dome and that is my situation so I can assure you I won't be finishing it. A bit syrupy, super rich in flavors but the booziness kind of kills it for me. Brett is not funky. Pretty meh offering and it seems like time didn't help this out much.

3.02/5  rDev -17.9%

2011 Vintage
Poured into a Duvel snifter

Appearance: (3.75)
Pours a slightly muted and hazy yellowish orange with a massive, meringue like white head. The head has great retention and leaves plenty of web like lacing as it recedes.

Aroma: (2.75)
Quite the muted aroma, despite being bottled conditioned with Brettanomyces for 2 years; slightly tart pear, pineapple, lightly cheesy hops and wet card board. There is some ever-so-faint mustiness tucked beneath the hops and light malt, but it is really hard to tell if that is Brettanomyces or just more signs of extreme oxidation.

Taste: (3)
Lightly citrus-y hops land on your palate first before becoming easily over powered by cheesiness and wet cardboard. Some faint banana, pear and spicy clove esters from the Belgian yeast help distract from the overwhelming signs of oxidation. The beer finishes slightly tart and dry with the lightly bready malt backbone coating your tongue. lingering notes of pineapple, tangy citrus, cheese and some alcohol.

Mouthfeel: (3.5)
Despite being 8.5%, the body is quite light with fine, prickly carbonation.

Overall: (3)
This is the Bruery's Golden Strong Ale, Mischief, but bottled with Brettanomyces. I was super excited to try this beer because I love a robust, fully mature Brettanomyces character. Unfortunately, I found hardly any of that character in this beer. The rustic, pineapple-y funky goodness that I normally associate with some aged Brett strains is hardly even present. Very disappointed.

3.07/5  rDev -16.6%

750 ml bottle - courtesy of smarcoly - split between the girlfriend and I, served into two snifter glasses.

A: Even the gentlest of pours, as to not rouse the yeast bed at the bottom, produces an absolutely enormous and obnoxious billowy white, foamy head. The body is a cloudy golden honey with a constant stream of carbonation bubbles. Subsequent pours produce the same results - a bit annoying.

S: Brett funky notes are immediately evident up-front. Some ripe banana and white pepper come through and finishes with a certain barnyard hay-like quality. Not too bad, but nothing special here.

T: Carbonation is a major set back here - it's WAY too carbonated. Funky dry notes coat and soak up any moisture on the palate. This odd, soured twist on a relatively grain-centric profile is different. Initial grassy hops recede throughout the beer, losing a much needed dimension to flavor profile. A slight burn of alcohol heat is present after swallow in the chest, something worth mentioning.

Overall, this is a very weak profile and one that should definitely NOT be considered an American Wild Ale. This is basically a Belgian Pale Ale with funk, gone wrong. It's strange, odd and off. This definitely is not an A worthy beer, but to each his own. I'm glad I had the opportunity to try it out! Good to try once and never again.

3.08/5  rDev -16.3%

This beer was pulled out of a box that was sent to me, as a total surprise, by neorunner. Huge thanks Nate!

Poured into a Duvel tulip.

Appearance
It looks like they used Jolly Pumpkin's strain of Brett for this beer. The head is pretty much uncontrollable, even in this Duvel glass. It stands up above the rim and slowly recedes to a manageable height. There's still a huge, rocky pillow in the middle, surrounded with lace and froth. The beer is a pretty hazy, pale yellow.

Aroma
If I remember correctly, I really liked Mischief and thought that it smelled great. This one also smells really nice. I was afraid that it was going to be a big, nasty brett bomb and that the beer would just be ruined. Not so, thus far. The aroma is very juicy and fruity. Peach, pear and apple run the show. A dry bretty funk pairs up with a clovey Belgian yeast.

Taste
Ok, here's where the brettanomyces starts to muck things up. I can't wait until brewers realize that dumping brett into a beer is only a good thing a small fraction of the time. I enjoy the taste of this beer until the finish or from mid-palate back. The goodness of the actual beer is there, but its held back by musty brett. This beer is also quite bitter at the finish, which is something that any good Belgian Strong Pale should not have. The hops do give this beer a nice peach and pear fruitiness, but the yeasts are too overbearing.

Mouthfeel
Just like most heavily bretted beers, this one's carbonation is out of control. The finish is nice and dry though. Alcohol is highly perceivable, especially for the ABV. It can be picked up in the taste, but only just. Instead, the beer just *feels* very alcoholic.

Overall
This one starts out nicely, but things really do go wild. Worth a try, I suppose. I'm certainly really happy to have gotten it. I think fans of brettanomyces will really enjoy this one.

3.21/5  rDev -12.8%

Appearance: Golden yellow color. Thick white head that occurred even with a careful pour. The head was persistent. Way to go.

Smell: Light Belgian funk. Slight bready aroma with some faint grapefruit aromas (hops perhaps). Smells like the standard Mischief.

Taste: Citrus fruits with the hops coming through fairly strong. I can't get any taste influence via the Brett addition. I'm sensitive to hops so I'm wondering if the hop presence is muting any Brett presence for me.

Mouth-feel: Medium body with a spritz-y carbonation.

Overall: Call this a Belgian Strong Pale Ale like the standard Mischief and my ratings would go up quite a bit (I like Mischief and have gotten multiple growler fills in the past). But it's labeled a Wild Ale so I'm anticipating a sour or funky ale which I don't get with this one. I loved the Wild 57 that was served at the RS Initiation Party and was hoping this would be along the same vein. I really would like to get some standard Mischief and compare it with this one.

3.21/5  rDev -12.8%

I popped this last night, one of four bottles from my RS allocation, though they are also on the shelves at the Provisions store, not sure on distribution or bottle count though, anyhow, on to the review.

A: Golden yellow, light oak amber hue, clear. Generous 3 inch head! Took a while to settle too, leaving tons of lace.

S: Mild Herbal hops, very light funk (much less than I was expecting) slight sweet malt in the background.

T: Pretty much the same as nose, light citrus hop notes, a bit of a light bread or wheat note in the middle, mild hints of sweet malt in the middle. Funky notes are very mild to me, a bit disapointing to be honest from what I was expecting.

M: Meduim body and mouthfeel, but high carbonation, like champagne.

O: Not that much of a difference from the regular Mischief to me, and I'm a bit underwhelmed frankly. Good, but not great. (I love so much from the Bruery, so my expectations are generally pretty high for them) Maybe the wild ale funk will get much stronger with some time, but it says to drink fresh on the bottle, so probably not. I'm starting to get a better palate for wild ales, or beers with that funky flavor profile, and for me, I can honestly say it is not funky enough for me, though as was pointed out to me, it was only innoculated, not 100% fermented with Brett (also no lacto or pedio)

3.25/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Mischief Gone Wild from The Bruery