Cuir | The Bruery

CuirCuir

The Bruery
California, United States | website

Style: Old Ale

Cuir is our third anniversary ale. It is the same recipe as Papier, but again created using the Solera method. Each year we will continue to blend old barrels of anniversary ale with a new batch of the same beer, adding an additional layer of complexity that will grow over time as we continue to age and blend with each anniversary, creating an older average age to the ale.

Added by Halcyondays on 05-07-2011

Reviews: 195 | Ratings: 588
Reviews by ummswimmin:
4.77/5  rDev +15.8%

I always buy any new Bruery beer as I find them. Their beers vacilate between good to excellent. I opened this beer to sip as I watched college football.

I shared this bottle with a friend. This beer was poured into snifter glasses.

The beer poured brown with some highlights of red in the coloring. I had a two finger head on the pour that came down to a very nice halo. This yielded some pretty good looking lacing.

Cuir smells rich. I could just smell this beer all day. I pick up the bourgon coming off the top. I even picked up some leathery smell.

At 16.5%, it isn't a surpise that I had alcohol heat in my mouth, then in the throat, and then the warming in my chest.

In the taste I picked up a lot of dark fruit (my friend identified figs). The bourbon qualities are very present. You can tasted the tobacco and vanilla coming out of the casks.

This was an excellent experience. I still smile in memory of the beer.

4.43/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2.5/5  rDev -39.3%

4.25/5  rDev +3.2%

3.25/5  rDev -21.1%

4.5/5  rDev +9.2%

4.12/5  rDev 0%

Finally bought a bottle of this. After trying it, I want another one to let it sit for at least a year, probably 2.

Very dark murky orange. Smell is potent and nice. Smelled it as soon as I popped the top on the bottle. Dark fruits, raisins, figs, burnt sugar. Taste is the same, but the ABV makes itself known. Alcohol is very noticeable. Love the mouthfeel. Creamy and just slightly carbonated. I'd rank the taste and the mouthfeel at a 4.5 if the ABV wasn't so noticeable. I feel that after a year or two, the alcohol taste might mellow and makes this even more enjoyable. Very nice though. Not sure if it is worth the money, but still very nice.

4.29/5  rDev +4.1%

Fairly muddled brown color with lots going on, some turbidity through the browness, not much in terms of head. Lovely aroma, damn, coconut is forceful more than any other beer that didn't have coconut in the name. Vanilla, oak, char, chocolate after that. Good warming sensation from the alcohol.

Taste, wow, so much better than Coton and Papier as far as hiding the heat. This is a monster beer. More and more layers of complexity are revealed with each sip. Toffee and caramel are pretty substantial. Maybe some molasses and leather as well. Really appreciate the creaminess of this one, helps hide the alcohol quite well, I kept telling myself how amazing this was at hiding the alcohol, very nice. The woody touches are right in the ideal amount.

Really exceeded my expectations with this beer. Time to start adding to my little stash of this beer.

4.66/5  rDev +13.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

3.95/5  rDev -4.1%

Large shared bottle. 4 years old.
Very fruity aroma featuring dried plums and other dark fruits. Bitter and sweet with a touch of tartness.
Warming but not hot.