Tart Of Darkness | The Bruery

Tart Of DarknessTart Of Darkness

The Bruery
thebruery.com

Style: American Wild Ale

Batch 2 was aged in spent Black Tuesday barrels.

Added by ajcobb24 on 06-22-2011

#873
Liked:
4.23/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 2,440 |  Reviews: 373
Reviews by deadonhisfeet:
3.97/5  rDev -6.1%

Poured from a bottle into a Lost Abbey Teku. The beer pours out extremely dark reddish-brown with some light escaping through. The head dissipates almost immediately, no doubt due to the high acidity of the beer. Lots of acidic sourness on the nose as well as some cherry character. As the beer warms, some soft, funky wet hay aromas come through.

The beer has a medium body and a firm mouthfeel. There is an intense cherry-like sourness on the tip of the tongue. It's so intense, that it makes it difficult to distinguish any other flavors. I don't get much of the roastiness of the stout, but I do get some nice oaky flavors on the back of the palate. The finish is very wine-like and mouth-drying, leaving you begging for another sip (no matter how sour it is). Not very high in alcohol, but the high level of acidity definitely makes this a sipper.

I haven't had too many sour beers (they're scarce in this part of the country), but this one is certainly the sourest beer I have had to date. If you're a fan of extremely sour beers, you should seek this one out and try it at least once. If you've never had a sour beer, I would not suggest making this your first one. I found it to be pleasant to drink, but I prefer more balanced, moderately sour beers. This one is so tart it overwhelms my palate. I did enjoy it, but given the price of this beer, I probably won't buy it again. If I did, I would let it age for a while, just to see if any of the sourness melded with the other flavors a little better.

4.33/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A: A very dark brown beer with a garnet hue and good clarity. The persistent head is composed of creamy tan bubbles.

S: The dominate aroma is a tart fruit character of red currents and cassis with an acidic quality backing that up. There is a faint aroma of dark fruit and dark malt aroma having a cocoa character to it.

T: An aggressive, acidic and tartness and strong red currents fruitiness with light flavors of the stout dark malt. There isn't much to say about hops in here nor malt, although the fruit is juicy and refreshing. The balance is very sour and the finish is very dry.

M: A light bodied beer with strong carbonation and a faint bit of warmth.

O: This ones about as tart as they come with a strong acidic bit and good bit of fruitiness, sort of Flanders Red that come of the rails except that there is some stout character to back up the flavors. The sour stout is quickly becoming my favorite style thanks in part to the few exceptional brewers making the style.

4.98/5  rDev +17.7%

A - Jet black with a thin tan head.

S - A pleasant smell of chocolate/coffee from the dark malt, and that awesome classic sour tart smell.

T - TART. Delicious cherry and fig notes. Vinegary finish with some berry notes. Nice little bourbon taste as well for an added bonus.

M - Thin body which was unexpected for the color of the beer. Moderate carbonation. Great feel and easy to drink.

D - The drinkability here is incredible. Wish I could drink this one every single day.

4.37/5  rDev +3.3%

Black in color with just a fractional amount of light penetration. There's a fingernail of brown around the rim. Aroma is of black licorice, roasted barley, plum, caramel, and a hint of smoke. Initially I taste roasted barley and a burst of sour brettanomyces. At the back of the palate I taste roasted barley and smoke and then I'm left with a lingering tardiness from the brettanomyces. The mouth is lightly chewy and alcoholic. An amazing sensory rollercoaster!

4.3/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

Oh boy! I'm really treating myself here. My first Bruery sighting in CT, had to give it a shot. Bottled on 6/23/15. Here we go!

Look: Tan head quickly dissipates into nothing. Beer is dark brown with ruby highlights

Smell: Sourness and roastiness dance together, complimenting each other more than I honestly expected. I'm getting sour cherries, strawberries, bitter dark chocolate, oak, dates; it's very vinous in an earthy way, like a fine Burgundy.

Taste: Follows the nose, with the addition of a cranberry/tart Pinot Noir flavor as well. That fades out into a deep chocolatey/roasty stout backdrop with a lovely oak aged balsamic aftertaste. Yes, some people will read balsamic and think of it pejoratively. If you've ever had real, barrel aged balsamic, you'll know that I mean that description in the best way possible. The stout base becomes more prominent as the beer warms up, but it's delicious all the way from cellar temp to room temp.

Feel: Thicker than the gueuzes I've been drinking, but this definitely isn't Ten Fidy motor oil status. For the style, this is perfect. It's medium bodied, which lays a perfect backdrop for the acidity to work its way through my whole mouth.

Overall: I know these reviews read like a crazy Robert Parker Wine Advocate review, but this sort of beer definitely deserves deep contemplation. I wasn't sure what to expect with this beer, but it definitely delivered here. It wasn't cheap, but I'll definitely snag another sometime in the future.

4.21/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Tart of darkness pours black with a small tan head. Sour and oak aromas. Taste is smooth, lots of sour and oak. Great feel. Overall very solid sour.

4.25/5  rDev +0.5%

750 ml bottle poured into glass.

Appearance: Pours very dark and very fizzy. Head dies down very rapidly.

Smell: WOW sour notes. Lots of fruit smell. Smells refreshing.

Taste: Just like the smell. Pretty good, but not overpowering with the sour. Nice.

Mouthfeel: less fizzy than I would have expected. Very clean and crisp.

Overall: very good, not quite to amazing. But very nice.

4.75/5  rDev +12.3%

4.75/5  rDev +12.3%

4.33/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.75/5  rDev -11.3%