Tart Of Darkness | The Bruery

Tart Of DarknessTart Of Darkness

The Bruery
thebruery.com

Style: American Wild Ale

Batch 2 was aged in spent Black Tuesday barrels.

Added by ajcobb24 on 06-22-2011

Ratings: 2,433 |  Reviews: 373

1.12/5  rDev -73.1%

1.5/5  rDev -63.9%

1.52/5  rDev -63.5%

Pour is purplish black with a soapy ring. Nose is heavy sweetness, disoriented malt sugars and berry sweetness with a light leathery brett presence. Taste is awful, strong acetic acid and extreme residual sugar with tons of malt sweetness. Virtually no stout flavors other than too sweet, finish is bretty and bitter with high acid levels and a slick oily feel. Rough drain pour.

1.76/5  rDev -57.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.5

1.98/5  rDev -52.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

Poured into a Duvel snifter glass.

2013 vintage

The beer that made me realize, I do not like this whole sour beer fiasco.

A - 4.5 - Poured an incredibly dark brown, pretty much to the point of jet black in color. Formed a half finger of quickly dissipating, medium tan colored head. Extremely weak head potential and retention. Nonexistent lacing.
S - 2.75 - Acid. Tons of acidic, tart cherry and white grape. Wine, vinegar, and perhaps an EXTREMELY distant malty aroma.
T - 1 - Good god, I could barely stomach a few sips, let alone drink an entire glass. Extremely acidic grape and vinegar, fades into a somewhat malty finish. The malt combined with the vinegar and tart grape creates the taste of what I can only describe as a combination of soy sauce and Worcestershire sauce. Horrid.
F - 3.5 - Medium body.
O - 1.5 - I guess some people are really into this whole sour beer craze, and I can imagine there's probably a huge following for this type of beer, but for ME, I'd rather spend a fraction of the cost and get myself a bottle of vinegar and a bottle of soy sauce. Has definitely opened my eyes to the fact that I am indeed not a sour drinker.

2.07/5  rDev -50.2%

I got this as my first sour beer so please keep that in mind in relation to what follows.

a - It appears opaque and a little cloudy around the edges.

s - Smells like a wine, with a slight vinegar smell and a mix of other things I can't put into words.

t - This is where I have a problem, it tastes like vinegar, I don't know if there was a stout or cherries in there somewhere but I didn't find them. It was somewhat unpleasant.

m - Nothing I can think of.

This is my first sour beer and was certainly not what I expected after reading reviews here. Maybe someone can recommend something more amenable as an introduction into the world of sour beers for someone hesitant to try and select on their own again.

2.17/5  rDev -47.8%

Shared a bottle with BHOBS and Alucard4

Look: Black as night with a 1/4 tan head and no retention

Smell: Right off the bat are hints of sour cherry not really what I am looking for in a stout. If you search hard enough you will find hints of chocllate malt and some oak

Taste: The sourness that is overpowering hides all of the characteristics of a stout. All you pick up is the sour cherry it is a one way street in my opinion as far as taste goes. The taste is not bad but it is in no way a stout

Mouthfeel: Very water for a stout with a medium amount of carbonation

Overall: If you go in thinking this is a stout you will be let down because this is essentually a sour made with black patent or chocolate malt or roasted barley. It looks like a stout and that is about it. If you are a fan of sours you will appreciate this beer.

2.25/5  rDev -45.9%

2.42/5  rDev -41.8%

Bottle share. Poured into a snifter with high hopes.

A: Looks ok. Deep, dark amber color with a small tan head not much lacing.

S: Sour. Apple, pear.

T: Excuse me, but isn't this a sour stout? Where are the roasted malts? Where's the coffee? Chocolate? The sour taste is nice but the wild yeast completely takes over and smacks you in the face leaving no room for the so called "stout."

M: Too thin. When I think stout - I want something full bodied and thick. Not watery like this is.

O: Disgraceful. Don't call this a sour stout and charge $23 a bottle. If this were a regular sour I could understand but this was devoid of any stout qualities. Ridiculously overpriced. Pass on this for the love of God.

2.5/5  rDev -39.9%

25.4 oz Bottle.Dark brown poured into a 20 oz Firestone glass.Smells like Berry and Vinegar.Very strong wine taste to it.I wanted to like this so bad because I had heard so many good things about it but to me the flavor was just Nasty.Extreme SOUR taste was so present that I could not get around it to decide what the other flavors were.Made it through about 3/4 through the bottle and then it became DRAIN POUR.And at 19.99 a bottle that hurt.If you like wine this might be better suited for you.But for me I can`t recommend it to a Beer drinker.Needless to say I will not be buying this anytime soon.Sorry Bruery.Thumbs down.

Tart Of Darkness from The Bruery