Tart Of Darkness | The Bruery

Tart Of DarknessTart Of Darkness

The Bruery
thebruery.com

Style: American Wild Ale

Batch 2 was aged in spent Black Tuesday barrels.

Added by ajcobb24 on 06-22-2011

firstprev| 2376-2400 | 2401-2425 | 2426-2450  | next → last
Ratings: 2,433 |  Reviews: 373
4.1/5  rDev -1.4%

A: The pour is dark brown, bordering on black, with a large brown head.

S: There is a very pronounced lactic sourness which is the first thing I pick up. A mild roasted malt character and some subtle notes of sour cherries. There is oak in the background and a hint of chocolate.

T: The flavor is very sour, as I expected. A nice complexity comes from cherry and dark fruit flavors. A more subtle roasted malt note than you might anticipate with plenty of oak and hints of lemon zest and grass.

M: The body is on the light end of medium with a medium to high carbonation.

O: Really a solid beer and one of the Bruery's better sours to this point.

4.3/5  rDev +3.4%

Appearance: Very dark brown color, almost black but you can see it';s brown at the edges. Moderate beige head that dissipated fairly quickly.

Smell: Mild funk, faint roast malts, and slight acetic notes.

Taste: Mild roast notes, citrus tones and very mild acetic notes, and a touch of funk. very faint tobacco notes are present in the finish which is fairly dry. Very interesting combination that works for me. i couldn't detect any alcohol, but then again it's only 5% ABV.

Mouth-feel: Moderate body with a fair level of carbonation.

Overall: Even though I do detect some slight roast notes, personally I'm categorizing this as a Wild Ale. A very unusual damn tasty one.

4.82/5  rDev +15.9%

Cool light brown appearance, almost transluscent despite the dark color. Aroma was definitely tart, sour, salivation inducing. Stay around, you'll get the usual suspects in a stout aroma, chocolate, mild coffee, even a little wood, even though I don't think this was barreled. Might even be cherry and another citrus aroma/flavor to it. Very impressed.

Oh yeah, big ol' sour taste surges in the lead, the typical irish dry stout flavors follow, this is SO easy to drink, no alcohol, no massivity of most (but excellent) Bruery stouts. Very easy to drink, while complex, unique, and loveable. I dunno if its the sour component, but I'd swear this has the slightest touch of cherry to it. Its like a soured, sessionable, small beer version of Cherry Chocolate Rain. It ain't equal parts sour/stout, its sour first, stout later.

Pretty good deal to at ~$15 for a 750. Wish I bought more. This is my favorite new beer of 2011 so far.

4.02/5  rDev -3.4%

Batch 1 off tap:
Basically black. A ring with spotty lacing.

Burnt things. Raisin, prune, roastiness.

Burnt coffee flavors, light maple, mint, ash, oak mixed with sour grape; the sour levels here are very low.

Light and crisp. Tastes very watered down, flavor is muted.

Definitely not my cup of tea. This hybrid doesn't do it for me. My glass was the first of it off the Provisions tap line, maybe something went wrong but I definitely cant see this being an A beer. I didn't get much of any sour nor funk.

RE-REVIEW of Batch 2:

Definitely did I have a bad pour. Goes to show that you really have to give some beers a second chance if you think you received a bad batch or keg or bottle or whatever.

The beers color remains the same, while the smell is tartness and darkness.

The taste is sour cherry, oak, light vinegar, warhead sour, oh so bloody sour. Can't remember last time I had a sour so sour. The sweetness is a bit overwhelmed by the sour pang.

Light mouthfeel, mid levels of carbonation.

All together a very tasty beer, any sour craving will be quenched with this batch # 2.

4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

What a surprising treat.

Pours a robust dark brown/blackish color with a small light head.

Smells is overwhelmingly acid washed funk, with maybe the tiniest bit of roasted chocolate. Very tiny. The stout aspect of this really only presents itself in the appearance and in a tiny bit of residual "heaviness" in terms of malt profile. It adds very little in terms of flavor or aroma.

Taste is a ton of overlapping sour notes, both an unidentifiable, quasi-citrus front-end, plus a surprisingly funky, earthy back-end that crinkles with barnyard mustiness.

I must say, I was very pleasantly surprised by this. Only slightly heavier than a "standard" sour, it is a complex, robust addition to the breed.

4.88/5  rDev +17.3%

Opening my first bottle of Bruery's Tart of Darkness I wasn't sure what I was going to think but I love all things sour and all things Bruery so I had to load up. This is amazing. It pours a dark, deep brown with a finger of head which quickly dissipates. The aroma is of sourness, almost vinegary. This is a truly sessionable stout, not huge like a certain other Bruery stout but if you love sours you would be able to drink this all night long. There is so much sourness going on that I don't get much else. There is some malt that is noticeable but this is largely about the sour. This is an amazing beer. I'm going to have to go back for whatever the Provisions store will let me buy.

4.32/5  rDev +3.8%

597th on BA
Bottle to Snifter
750 ML

Split with GuruDel

App- A softer brown with deep garnet edges. One finger quick receding head. Dots of cling on this one. Not really a stout app. A little darker but was still fairly light.

Smell- No trace of a stout at all. Smelled mnd blowingly alternative to it. Was very tart, soft, citrusy, damp and sour.

Taste- No stout as I had mentioned. It was just a very tasty sour beer as Tyler and Patrick are known for. The oaky, sour notes are balanced, with a sweet,sour, pucker taste.

Mouth- Medium bodied and Medium/high carbed. Left a nice soft sour note.

Drink- Damn, This was so different but so tasty. So glad there is a 2nd bottle in the cellar on this one. Well crafted indeed.

4.2/5  rDev +1%

A - dark brown beer. Not as deep dark brown to black as you would get with a Chocolate Rain or Black Tuesday. Some head (about one half of a finger)

S - you really can tell that there is something different about this stout. You get the common stout smells (oak, chocolate, coffee), but then you get some type of cellar funk usually experienced with an American Wild Ale or a Lambic. Very interesting.

T - I like Parabola and KBS as the standards for stouts. Being that those are slightly different styles than this one though, I would have to say this is probably one of the best of this style that I have had. You get some upfront cellar funk (probably from that bacteria that they put in there), and this then morphs into the more common heavy coffee and chocolate notes you get with other stouts.

M - Very full bodied. A little less than an American Imperial Stout, but that is to be expected with the lower abv.

O - Very good beer. Not the best that I have had, but definitely worth a buy. Adding the American Wild Ale funk in with the traditional stout tastes could take some acquiring to, but I personally liked the meld.

firstprev| 2376-2400 | 2401-2425 | 2426-2450  | next → last