Tart Of Darkness | The Bruery

Tart Of DarknessTart Of Darkness

The Bruery
thebruery.com

Style: American Wild Ale

Batch 2 was aged in spent Black Tuesday barrels.

Added by ajcobb24 on 06-22-2011

Ratings: 2,431 |  Reviews: 373

4.34/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

2011 - poured at The Bruery.

Really, really good. Lots of tart cherry that they somehow blend with the stout nicely. I like this beer fresh but the 3 years of age really do this beer well.

4.15/5  rDev -0.2%

4.64/5  rDev +11.5%

4.7/5  rDev +13%

4.44/5  rDev +6.7%

3.5/5  rDev -15.9%

4.55/5  rDev +9.4%

3.88/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

4.08/5  rDev -1.9%

4.18/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

3.5/5  rDev -15.9%

2.5/5  rDev -39.9%

25.4 oz Bottle.Dark brown poured into a 20 oz Firestone glass.Smells like Berry and Vinegar.Very strong wine taste to it.I wanted to like this so bad because I had heard so many good things about it but to me the flavor was just Nasty.Extreme SOUR taste was so present that I could not get around it to decide what the other flavors were.Made it through about 3/4 through the bottle and then it became DRAIN POUR.And at 19.99 a bottle that hurt.If you like wine this might be better suited for you.But for me I can`t recommend it to a Beer drinker.Needless to say I will not be buying this anytime soon.Sorry Bruery.Thumbs down.

4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

Pours very dark purple/brown. Slightly translucent. The nose indicates this is quite tart. Notes of berries, neutral oak, and malts. The taste follows the nose. Again quite tart. Not traditional stout flavors, more oak/berries/tart. Very smooth, medium body, and high carbonation.

I was nicely surprised by this ale. I assumed it would be similar to JP Obscrura but I was wrong. This is more a dark fruited sour over a sour stout. It's a bit pricey but a sour folks need to try.

4.15/5  rDev -0.2%