100% Brett Autumn Maple | The Bruery

thebruery.com

Style: American Wild Ale

Added by DovaliHops on 09-09-2011

2.14/5  rDev -41.8%

Vigorous pour produces only a cluster of brown bubbles. They're gone in a blink and leave no trace or lacing. Deep, auburn body.

Sweet yams, earth and a very small amount of Brett sourness. Nutmeg and clove spicing.

Lots of sweetness upfront, with flavors of yams, maple and even some molasses. The residual sugars just coat the mouth. I need to brush my teeth. Very light spicing, with some earthiness. Where the hell is the Brett? This is 100%? The finish has a very slight sour twinge to it, but it is immediately over taken by a boozy burn. Mouthfeel is like a syrup; it should be served as a flavor at Starbucks.

Totally misses the mark for me. This is a disaster. The more I drank this, the less I liked it. Avoid!

2.28/5  rDev -38%

Bottle (2011)

Thanks for opening this with me, Nathan!

(Aged for 6+ months)

A murky, flat mixture of browns and dark oranges with very little visible carbonation and just the slightest film on top masquerading as a head. This leaves the glass oily and spotted with minimal stick. About as ugly as a beer can get.

The aroma is probably this beer's only saving grace, and even then, it's nothing particularly special. It smells of yams and gingerbread, caramel and toffee, and some alcohol heat.

The flavor too is yam and gingerbread forward, along with some bread crusts and plenty of caramel, and mild alcohol presence. This is overly sweet and the lack of carbonation really hurts it.

Medium to heavy bodied with very low carbonation. Disappointing, to say the least.

I didn't particularly enjoy this one, though I'm hoping this was a bad bottle.

2.42/5  rDev -34.2%

Epic Bruery sour/wild tasting, 3/4/2012

Pours dark amber. Aromas of molasses, nutmeg, cinnamon, allspice, maple syrup, sweet potato. I'm not getting brett out of this at all. Way too heavy and sweet and spicy for me. Could not finish even a small tasting pour.

2.44/5  rDev -33.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2.5

Damn I hate this beer.

Opens up and pours autumn/rust colors in a ruddy way with 1/4" light brown head. Aroma isn't bad, has that Thanksgiving holiday season kind of vibe for it, brett isn't noticeable, but the alcohol is.

Holy shit, how is this so bitter and alcoholic? The aftertaste just keeps getting worse mouth feel wise. I guess that is yams I taste, I do not like. The bretted version just seems to be more bitter. Not brett affected taste wise. Overly syrupy and sticky. Some brown sugar. Caramel around the end. Just kind of a failure as a brett beer, and then the base wasn't much to sneeze at either. Pass. One of the worst beers ever from the Bruery.

3.11/5  rDev -15.5%

Pours a deep reddish copper with a stingy off white head that even a vigorous pour could not bring up to size. Wow that is an odd aroma. Nutmeg crusted french fries smothered in ketchup is what I get initially. There's some dark fruits deep inside but the ketchup chips won't leave my nostrils. I'm pleased to say that no fries remained in the flavor, but I'm also obliged to say how lackluster the flavor is. There's a nice sweet malty caramel and maple flavor up front but that only lasts for a second before the palette is assaulted with spices. This beer remains quite sweet but the spices destroy the flavor for me. Its like a sweet syrupy spice rack around Christmas time. Medium to thick body with a light level of carbonation and a sweet syrupy mouthfeel. I have to say that the base beer is not my favorite, but the 100% brett doesn't help it for me either. The bourbon version is tolerable, but I just don't get this beer.

3.13/5  rDev -14.9%

Served in a Bruery tulip. I love the Bruery but not this beer. Huge miss for me.

Beer is borwn, hazy, dark, with a thin tan head, low retention, low carbonation, had to really work to get a head on this guy. Looks fine.

Aroma is sweet, maple, lots of malt syrup. Minimal yeast character.

I thought this was a brett beer? Why is the gravity so damn high? It is like chewing on a stick from a sugar maple. Sweet, syrup, heavy, boozy, nope, not a repeat for me.

3.2/5  rDev -13%

829th Review on BA
Bottle to Bruery Tulip
750 ML
2011 Bottling

Served at recommended cellar temp

App- A few shades lighter than the regular AM. This was dramatically different in terms of head and bubbles. Poured almost flat with only about an 1/8” and a ring of bubbles. No cling or lace as well.

Smell- More juice like than anything else. A bit sweet with a decent amount of yam aroma. A very small amount of sour from the Brett. Does not add much to aroma, takes a bit away IMO. A small touch of the spice still remains.

Taste- Autumn maple is a solid beer. This seems to take away a bit from this one. This version seems to have more of a pepper note and just a touch of the Brett. A bit average offering with so much of the base beer being lost in the fermenting with the sourness.

Mouth- Lighter medium bodied and a bit flat. A little juicy and slightly sour.

Drink- This was a bit average at best. It took away a lot of the best qualities of what makes Autumn Maple unique. The spice, maple and yam aroma and taste. Instead a bit thicker apple juice and a little flat.

3.2/5  rDev -13%

Pours a beige head. Color is a hazed golden autumn orange.

Aroma: Spices and yams. Caramel, toffee, and bready malts. Pumpkin spice. Okay.

Taste: The brett funk shows, but it is really yammy. A lot of spices. Bready, caramel, and toffee malts again. A whole mess of flavors.

Mouthfeel: Smooth and dry. Medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. Ends dry.

Overall, it's a yam beer. I don't like it, but I don't hate it. Not something I'd get excited for.

3.25/5  rDev -11.7%

3.25/5  rDev -11.7%

3.27/5  rDev -11.1%

A: Pours a flat looking Bruery Autumn maple color with no carbonation visibly popping to the top. Slightly hazy and dull looking

S: Aroma of sweet potatoes, pale malt, brown sugar, a sweet brown ale (not to be confused with Sweet Brown from Oklahoma City) (youtube it)

T: Taste is well.... sweet. Similar in taste to the non brett version and also similar to the Bourbon barrel aged version minus the barrel and bourbon flavors. The brett flavors are underwhelming after a year, I thought they might have developed more. What I really get the most of is a strong boozy brown ale, some clove nutmeg and cinnamon like spices and a sweeter finish with the brett yeast. To be honest I thought I tasted more Brett about a year ago and wonder if the brett just was not strong enough to beat the 10% abv in here while aging.

M: Very light body and a very light carbonation. This is probably the area that has suffered the most as a result of the brett strain fermentation.

O: Overall, it is not a wonder that this is at least retired for the moment. The bourbon barrel version I think I was slightly less impressed with than this bottle, but this does add an interesting if not great layer of complexity to the beer. It is not great and not horrible, however fermenting this with yeast just didnt seem to do anything great. Add in the price difference that this bottle had compared to the standard run of the mill Autumn Maple and I think it is safe to say that it was an interesting trial, but not one that will be repeated.

100% Brett Autumn Maple from The Bruery