100% Brett Autumn Maple | The Bruery

thebruery.com

Style: American Wild Ale

Added by DovaliHops on 09-09-2011

3.27/5  rDev -11.1%

A: Pours a flat looking Bruery Autumn maple color with no carbonation visibly popping to the top. Slightly hazy and dull looking

S: Aroma of sweet potatoes, pale malt, brown sugar, a sweet brown ale (not to be confused with Sweet Brown from Oklahoma City) (youtube it)

T: Taste is well.... sweet. Similar in taste to the non brett version and also similar to the Bourbon barrel aged version minus the barrel and bourbon flavors. The brett flavors are underwhelming after a year, I thought they might have developed more. What I really get the most of is a strong boozy brown ale, some clove nutmeg and cinnamon like spices and a sweeter finish with the brett yeast. To be honest I thought I tasted more Brett about a year ago and wonder if the brett just was not strong enough to beat the 10% abv in here while aging.

M: Very light body and a very light carbonation. This is probably the area that has suffered the most as a result of the brett strain fermentation.

O: Overall, it is not a wonder that this is at least retired for the moment. The bourbon barrel version I think I was slightly less impressed with than this bottle, but this does add an interesting if not great layer of complexity to the beer. It is not great and not horrible, however fermenting this with yeast just didnt seem to do anything great. Add in the price difference that this bottle had compared to the standard run of the mill Autumn Maple and I think it is safe to say that it was an interesting trial, but not one that will be repeated.

3.73/5  rDev +1.4%

Bottle from IP with WomanCan'tSail. Lovely, complex brew. Yet one cannot drink too much of it. Dark colour with lots of thick lace. Smoke, wild boar in the aroma. The taste is sweet and rich, with molasses and some cherry and smoke. Weird, and lets try some beercycles of it.

3.5/5  rDev -4.9%

consumed on 7/30. thank you to CAbeerCAbeerCA my reserve society buddy. enjoyed from my bruery snifter.

a - brew poured a semi transparent deep amber with a thin offwhite head that hung out. The bubbles remained and the lacing clung tight to the surface of the beer, but left streaks upon glass swirls.

s - autumn spiciness. some cinammon and sweet potato. really sweet and inviting.

t - sweet autumn nights. like the nose some cinammon and sweet potato and overall craft store spiciness. the funkiness is in the background and serves more to tame back the autumn flavors. nice brown sugar in the forefront as well. almost resembles a brown ale with some autumn spiciness.

m - medium to full bodied without being syrupy. the booziness is in check as well and not all that noticeable.

o - overall, perhaps this one is a bit polarizing as the reviews seem not all that favorable, but i am actually enjoying it quite a lot. that being said, my expectations were checked before going into this and reading some reviews. i didn't expect this beer to be as tasty as it is. it isn't a mind blowing experience, but it is a solid autumn seasonal. the brett is not too funky and the autumn seasoning isn't too intense either. it is rather sweet and this big 750 seems like it might be a chore, but this first glass is pretty tasty.

bottle

4.25/5  rDev +15.5%

3.5/5  rDev -4.9%

An interesting albeit not completely successful beer in my book. Murky and hazed dark amber/brown body with a small off-white head. Fair retention and lacing. The aroma is led by yams and sweet potato; vegetal and lightly fruity, with a trace of musty funk and hay from the brett. Smells a bit on the sweet side.

Much like the nose the flavor reminds us of thanksgiving dinner. Sweet potato or yam again the predominant flavor; the brett isn’t particularly aggressive and only lends mild funkiness to the taste. Some malty sweetness, vanilla, pumpkin pie spices. Not super appealing, unfortunately. I like thanksgiving but not sure I want it in my beer.

Medium-full body with moderate carbonation, lacks crispness and a clean overall feel. Somewhat heavy and lifeless. An odd one, to be sure, and not something I’d be in a hurry to drink again.

2.28/5  rDev -38%

Bottle (2011)

Thanks for opening this with me, Nathan!

(Aged for 6+ months)

A murky, flat mixture of browns and dark oranges with very little visible carbonation and just the slightest film on top masquerading as a head. This leaves the glass oily and spotted with minimal stick. About as ugly as a beer can get.

The aroma is probably this beer's only saving grace, and even then, it's nothing particularly special. It smells of yams and gingerbread, caramel and toffee, and some alcohol heat.

The flavor too is yam and gingerbread forward, along with some bread crusts and plenty of caramel, and mild alcohol presence. This is overly sweet and the lack of carbonation really hurts it.

Medium to heavy bodied with very low carbonation. Disappointing, to say the least.

I didn't particularly enjoy this one, though I'm hoping this was a bad bottle.

3.11/5  rDev -15.5%

Pours a deep reddish copper with a stingy off white head that even a vigorous pour could not bring up to size. Wow that is an odd aroma. Nutmeg crusted french fries smothered in ketchup is what I get initially. There's some dark fruits deep inside but the ketchup chips won't leave my nostrils. I'm pleased to say that no fries remained in the flavor, but I'm also obliged to say how lackluster the flavor is. There's a nice sweet malty caramel and maple flavor up front but that only lasts for a second before the palette is assaulted with spices. This beer remains quite sweet but the spices destroy the flavor for me. Its like a sweet syrupy spice rack around Christmas time. Medium to thick body with a light level of carbonation and a sweet syrupy mouthfeel. I have to say that the base beer is not my favorite, but the 100% brett doesn't help it for me either. The bourbon version is tolerable, but I just don't get this beer.

4.5/5  rDev +22.3%

4.02/5  rDev +9.2%

Poured from the bottle into a goblet. I tried this with the regular version and the barrel fermented.

Appearance: A bit darker than the barrel fermented version with a half finger of off white head that fades to a ring around the edge of the glass.

Smell: Tart and sweet with some brown sugar, yams, and alcohol warmth.

Taste: Funky but definitely not sour. Brown sugar with a slight bitterness in the finish. I can pick up the yams, but the brett is the most interesting part of this beer.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with tingly carbonation and a dry finish.

Overall: This is a nice beer. Very interesting to see how the brett changes the beer. Better than the barrel fermented version, I would have this one again.

4.49/5  rDev +22%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Many thanks to Dyan for procuring this gem for me.

The beer pours a copper amber color with fairly good head retention and decent lacing. On the other hand, the nose on this beer is flat out terrific, as I get some light sour funk, brown sugar, some pumpkin, yams, cinnamon and clove. The combination of aromas is complex, intriguing and evocative, and I can't wait to take my first sip. On the palate, this flavor profile is every bit as intriguing and attractive (not to mention unexpected), and much to my surprise, I get literally no sour flavor as well. There's still something of a funky wet blanket, horse sweat flavor, but the beer otherwise is completely dominated by flavors of cherry, mandarin orange, vanilla, yams and brown sugar. The beer is actually fairly sweet (something I was not expecting from the aroma profile), though the funky brett flavor helps to counter that somewhat. Mouthfeel is fairly full, with an incredibly smooth, almost satin-like texture. Alcohol is no more than an afterthought in this beer, and drinkability is amazingly high for a 10% abv. beer.

I was hoping this would be good, but I have to say that I was frankly astonished by just how excellent this was. Sampled side by side with the barrel conditioned and regular version of Autumn Maple, and IMHO, this version clearly stood out.

I can see where those who love sour beers would be annoyed, but for me, I thought this beer was absolutely terrific.

2.42/5  rDev -34.2%

Epic Bruery sour/wild tasting, 3/4/2012

Pours dark amber. Aromas of molasses, nutmeg, cinnamon, allspice, maple syrup, sweet potato. I'm not getting brett out of this at all. Way too heavy and sweet and spicy for me. Could not finish even a small tasting pour.

2.5/5  rDev -32.1%

2.5/5  rDev -32.1%

2.14/5  rDev -41.8%

Vigorous pour produces only a cluster of brown bubbles. They're gone in a blink and leave no trace or lacing. Deep, auburn body.

Sweet yams, earth and a very small amount of Brett sourness. Nutmeg and clove spicing.

Lots of sweetness upfront, with flavors of yams, maple and even some molasses. The residual sugars just coat the mouth. I need to brush my teeth. Very light spicing, with some earthiness. Where the hell is the Brett? This is 100%? The finish has a very slight sour twinge to it, but it is immediately over taken by a boozy burn. Mouthfeel is like a syrup; it should be served as a flavor at Starbucks.

Totally misses the mark for me. This is a disaster. The more I drank this, the less I liked it. Avoid!

3.5/5  rDev -4.9%

A huge thanks to Chris (cavery) for this beer! Cheers buddy and hope you have a Merry Christmas! Split between my brother-in-law and myself.

Appearance – Pours a murky brown into a generic tulip. About a half finger of off white head is achieved with a moderate pour.

Smell – Slight pumpkin and spices, a hint of barnyard funk, just a hint of tartness. Yam comes in as the beer warms up, along with some other earthy aromas.

Taste – Candied sugars, yam, a bit of the funk comes through. Honestly, there is an odd metallic tin flavor aftertaste. A nice maple sugar flavor with spices come through at the end.

Mouthfeel – Medium bodied, decent carbonation.

Overall – Easier to drink than the regular, though not as funky/earthy as I was expecting with the “100% Brett” label. However, the brett completely makes this beer more drinkable. I can’t taste the 10% and it is rather enjoyable when all is said and done. Curious what time will do to this.

100% Brett Autumn Maple from The Bruery