Vitis Series: Oui Oui | The Bruery

Vitis Series: Oui OuiVitis Series: Oui Oui

The Bruery
California, United States | website

Style: American Wild Ale

The second beer in our Vitis Series line of beer that have been fermented with grapes. For Oui Oui we used a first running press of Chardonnay grapes from the central coast and added them to our sour blonde ale. The beer was then aged in oak barrels that had originally been used to store wine, imparting even more of that chardonnay-like quality. The final beer has a pleasant funk which compliments the stone fruit and white wine-like character.

Added by womencantsail on 02-20-2012

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
Reviews: 42 | Ratings: 143
3.99/5  rDev +4.2%

Pours clear gold with no head and only a few bubbles despite an aggressive pour.

Smells like chardonnay. Lots of tart white grape along with oak and some mustiness.

May have accidentally opened a bottle of wine. Taste like a slightly tarter chardonnay. Lots of light grape tartness with oak. A bit more sour than the nose lets on. Finishes dry and again chardonnay like.

Fairly light mouthfeel with low carbonation levels.

Bottom line: If you are a wine person especially dry whites, this will be right up your alley. I enjoyed it, but would have preferred a bit heavier carbonation. Curious to see what some age does to my other bottle.

3.86/5  rDev +0.8%

Been fortunate enough to try this on numerous occasions since its release earlier this year, and I must say it's already developing quite nicely. The only constant across the bottles I've sampled is that it's ugly: zero head and a translucent, murky body. Must...subtract...beergeek...points...

The earlier bottles had sulfuric qualities to the nose, but thankfully that's mostly gone now in favor juicy chardonnay grapes and must. Taste is funky, tart, and juicy; plenty of sourness and acidity that some may find offensive, although I love it. No sign of the 9%(!) alcohol.

Oui Oui has already improved significantly since its release and is drinking pretty well right now. I'm excited to see how it will change in the next 12 months.

2.88/5  rDev -24.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

750ml bottle into a tulip

A: Talk about an odd pour - I poured vigorously to get maybe an inch of very large bubble head - looked like it was more agitation than carbonation. Then, the beer began to fizz and I got a film of dense bubbles which receded extremely quickly. After this, I can see bubbling throughout the beer but absolutely zero head left atop the beer. It is a very nice clear golden color, though.

S: Strong lemony, lactic acid aroma is most evident, with a bit of acetic acid in the background. I get strong chardonnay aromas, a bit buttery but not overwhelming. I also get some horse blanket funk in there add to the complexity. This beer actually smells quite nice.

T: And all the great complexity I got in the aroma is completely gone. This tastes like a mixture of lemon, orange, and grape juice. Not as in I get flavors reminding me of those juices, as in it actually tastes like a mixture of those juices.

M: Basically flat and on the thick side.

O: The aroma of this beer is tremendous. Very complex. The flavor, though, is not good. I guess there were no flavors that were actually bad, it's just the beer tastes like a mixture of juices. I wasn't expecting a ton from this beer, but I didn't exactly expect this.

I'm not sure I've ever had a beer with such a difference in the quality of the smell and the flavor.

4.09/5  rDev +6.8%

Pours a hazy yellow with a pretty light white head and minimal lacing, carbonation looks a bit low. Aroma is very nice, it is lactic sour with some oak, and the grape comes through as well, can't wait to taste it. Flavor is very vinegar-forward and very sour, the oak and grape come through in the finish. Mouthfeel is medium-full bodied, pretty hefty for a wild. Overall this is a nice sour, I wish it was a little more grape/wine heavy, but I can't complain. It is just a little more vinegary than expected.

4.26/5  rDev +11.2%

Poured very aggressively, and no head whatsoever...kinda disappointing. Pours a hazy, golden, straw-like color with just a hint of orange. Scent makes up for the still, wine-like appearance. Aroma is VERY similar to a fine chardonnay with just a bit more funk to it. Tons of white grape aroma and sharp, acidic notes. A bit of stinky cheese as well. Lovin the nose on this...Taste is initially heavy in the grape department. Sweet, red, white, and green grapes all mashed together with some sour grapes as well. The more sips I take, the more it drinks like a chardonnay than a wild ale. I could see white wine lovers falling head over heels for this beer...not nearly as sour as I was expecting, or as the nose implied. VERY complex...best use of grapes I've experienced in a beer. Mouthfeel is medium bodied...no carbonation, but it fits with the taste, as it definitely drinks like a wine (no disrespect to Tomme, but he could learn from this one). Slightly acidic that leaves the teeth and gums tingly. Drinkability is high...ABV slightly detected in the throat...a tad warming. Overall, I'm not a big fan of wine, but I really enjoy this beer. The lack of carbonation seems to work with this one.

3.59/5  rDev -6.3%

Appearance: Very little head, golden piss-clear with a very slight haze.

Smell: Sharply acidic with some chardonnay barrels

Smell: Acid, faint chardonnay grapes, oak

Mouthfeel: very thin and low carbonation.

Overall: Not that impressive. Way too acidic with no funk or anything else to add depth of flavor.

3.98/5  rDev +3.9%

So, this beer is a little over 4 years old . Here goes...

L - Pours a clear golden yellow with pretty much no head. The looks reminds me of a cider.

S - Acidic tartness along with earth, oak and buttery qualities.

T - A pop of acidic tartness that goes to the end but is initially followed by chardonnay grapes, oak and buttery quality. Kind of juicy on the grapes.

F - Medium bodied and light carbonation. Has a wet/dry finish, somewhat smooth/creamy.

O - Really a nice balance between beer and grapes.

3.44/5  rDev -10.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

750 mL bottle shipped out with my other RS beers by JRSD. It was poured into my Duvel tulip.

Oui Oui pours a crystal clear straw yellow. There's barely even a suggestion of head formation. The nose is redolent of white grapes, presenting a strong vinous character. The aromas of oak, and earthy, cheesy funk round things out. As with the smell, the taste of the grape and wine aspect of the beer is right out in front. The brett influence seems to overtake the oak as the secondary flavor. When I describe it as cheesy, for me that's not a good thing, as this is one of the less enjoyable brett flavor profiles I've encountered. The oak does add a nice subtle touch though. The body is as nice and lean as I like in a wild beer, but the carbonation's not nearly as bubbly and lively as usually works for the style. Were it a bit more active, I think the mouthfeel would come across as just a little more light. Oui Oui is the fourth sour from The Bruery I've had in the past week, and probably the most underhwhelming, but it was still an interesting brew.

2.38/5  rDev -37.9%

Had at our June tasting and had to review this brew because it hurt my taste buds feelings.

Pours a hazy pear juice color with absolutely no head.

The aroma on this beer is atrocious! Stings the nostrils and not in a good way like Sex Panther. The acidity of this beer dominates the aroma to the point that I can't smell any of the subtle aromas. Fail.

The taste pics up the slack a tad from where the nose dropped the ball but it's still below avg. Extreme white grape sourness with equal parts lemon juice. My jaw will be clenched for the rest of the night.

The mouthfeel is light and crisp and about the only category this beer got right.

Overall this beer makes being an REserve Series member not worth it. This beer reminds me of a quote by Ron Jeremy. It can "suck my dick."

3.88/5  rDev +1.3%

Opened without a pop or hiss. Poured into a Bruery tulip, producing just a few bubbles that quickly disappeared, leaving behind a clear golden flat liquid looking like a lambic.

Smells funky, earthy, and very oaky with a note of turpentine/resin which I find off-putting, but once past that, buttery chardonnay notes come through clearly.

Happily, the wood resin doesn't come through so much in the taste, which is of big, buttery Chardonnay with a bit of acetic sourness, lots of wood, and some butterscotch. It is considerably more sour than wine, but not too sour. Seems the acetic is balanced by the sweetness of the grapes as well as malt. It is definitely a sweet and sour concoction though, with sweetness on the tongue and definite sour pucker on the lips. Has a nice long grapey finish with notes of green and ripe apple with lingering acetic acidity.

It has a medium thick body and a heavier weight on the palate, sort of like a sweeter wine might.

Definitely one of those beers that is hard to distinguish from wine. I'll be having the rest of this with food, since the sour level and the wood is a bit much to sip by itself.

4.01/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Shared by nasty 31 @ NWI bottle share

A - Light, hazy soft yellow. Light carbonation and no head

S - Tart vinegar, lemon, sweet Chardonnay grape, slight butter

T - Tart white vinegar up front that almost makes you pucker. There is lemon, light oak, and slight butter. Finish is lots of tart vinegar that lingers near the end.

MF - Light carbonation, slight astringent and dry. Actually rather creamy and buttery beer in the middle

O - Solid sour with nice vinegar tartness. Slight buttery, creaminess that you don't always find which make it nice and slightly different than normal

3.75/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Well it developed some carbonation!

Oui Oui is so close to being superb, it's a shame that it isn't. Acetic notes overwhelm the nose, burying the more pleasant fruity brett and chardonnay aromas. It's better on the palate, and not as assaultingly sour as the nose would imply. The body has a smooth creaminess with a tart and pleasant finish.

On first pour, I assumed it would be tough to take down half a bottle, but paired with fresh fruit and cheese, Oui Oui opened up and revealed some stone fruit and pear notes and the sourness never became overbearing.

Enjoyable, but never especially noteworthy. It's great to see subsequent attempts by the Bruery to marry grape and grain are improving (see: Confessions).

3.49/5  rDev -8.9%

Technically a milestone review for me. This is the very first bottle I've opened from my RS membership. 7-8 oz. poured into a stemless red wine glass on March 31st, 2012.

A - Damn, this sure does look like your typical white wine. Light gold coloring with orange hues akin to apple juice. I've seen beer with little carbonation, but this is the first time I've seen zero trace of head from a pour. Alas, no lacing or retention.

S - Enormous, prominent white grapeskins. Underlying lemon peel, floral, and oak barrel notes.

T - Definitely aligned with the aromas. Moderate puckering sourness, good acidic fruit juice, light vinegar, further grapes, and green apple-like tartness. I like what's here, but it's an instance where lack of depth bothers me.

M - Very low carbonation, but very fitting. Doubly-dry finish with an astringent fruit aftertaste.

D - Oui oui very well may breach the point where I would question whether you'd want to just buy an actual (and decent) bottle of Chardonnay. However, I appreciate the added sourness and fruit that this offers over its wine counterparts. I just don't feel that impressed by it.

4.02/5  rDev +5%

Pale yellow, no head.

Funk, sour grape, lemon.

Bread, lotsa sour, oak, lime, cherry, complex, very good.

Medium carbonation - perfect for beer, abv tastes about right if not slightly less.

Very tasty beer. One of the best Bruery beers I've had..

3.97/5  rDev +3.7%

Appearance: Clear straw-yellow with small white head mostly consisting of large bubbles that quickly disappeared.

Smell: Barnyard funk and tart grape notes.

Taste: Mild barnyard funk and white wine notes come through in the taste. The beer finishes with the white wine notes. The finish is dry and crisp. The beer is more on the tart side of the spectrum rather than on the sour side. Tasty.

Mouthfeel: Fairly light-bodied with low carbonation.

Overall: The taste profile is good but a little more carbonation might have added some sparkle.

4.23/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

From notes. Big ups (again) to Matt (Starrdogg) for sharing his bottle. One of many from the Reserve Society that I will get to try this year because of him.

A - Most beers just look exactly like they should for the style. And this one is no different. Straw color with nice head.

S - Somewhat funky. Very slight grape notes.

T - Wow. Very nice vinous notes along with a great amount of tartness. Yet, still very drinkable. Slight wood from the barrel. The buttery Chard taste that comes through in Temptation is non existent in this one (thank God). It delivered on the taste end.

M - A bit too heavy for a sour, but it reminds me of the mouthfeel from all the big RR sours. Sourness sticks around and makes you crave more.

O - Definitely a good start to the 2012 Bruery Reserve beers. A very solid beer.

4.39/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

750mL into tulip

A- Comes out of the bottle pretty still even after a vigorous pour. It bubbles at best but settles almost instantly. Looks like a Chard but I'm pretty sure they called it Oui Oui because it looks just like piss.

S- It has a bright smell. Heavy notes of white grapes, obviously. Also some tart apples and lemon. Nothing too funky going on here. Smells like wine.

T- Really tart up front. Nice and sour. Has the typical tart fruit flavors, green apples, lemon, sour grapes. The chardonnay grapes really shine through, definitely impressed by this.

M- It definitely lacks carbonation, there is the slightest amount evident. I'm not sure if this was intended to be like that, but I don't think it hurts it at all. It complements the taste perfectly.

O- I thought this was excellent. This was the first time I have had a beer made with wine grapes so I have nothing to compare it to, but I think this was an excellent representation of what they were going for. I'm not a wine drinker, but this is something I could sip on all day.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last