Sans Pagaie | The Bruery

Sans PagaieSans Pagaie

The Bruery
thebruery.com

Style: American Wild Ale

Sans Pagaie translates to “without a paddle” and is our take on the Belgian-style kriek, a sour blonde ale aged in barrels with cherries. The base beer has a subtle funk that melds gently with the fruit giving this beer flavors reminiscent of coconut, vanilla yogurt and of course, fresh cherries. A complex beer, perfect for a warm California day in the park with a slice of home made chocolate cake.

Added by UCLABrewN84 on 03-18-2012

4.15/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Poured into a tulip and enjoyed on 8/4/13. No date on the bottle. Bottle obtained via trade so I can't give an MSRP.

A: Grapefruit juice. The beer pours a ruby-tinged light brown color that reminds me of fresh squeezed grapefruit juice (not the ruby red concentrate stuff). It's actually probably the most uniquely colored beer I've enjoyed this year. Not quite brown...not quite red....quite distinct. No head and minimal lacing are apparent.

S: Ahhhh....the smell of a good sour beer. Deep sour green apple and citrus fruit notes with a little bit of Brett funkiness. The nose is not overwhelming as some of the best sours....it's quite subdued. A little bit of oak - not much. Unfortunately, I dont get much in the way of cherries in the nose.

T: There are those cherries! Initial taste is of sour cherries and it hits you - hard - on the back of the tongue. Subsequent oak and toffee notes from the barrels and malt are apparent later in the sip and provide a respectable backbone to the sour cherries. There is some funkiness there, but you have to search for it. On a scale of 1:10 of sourness, this ranks up there - I'd say a 8. It's definitely more sour than I expected.

M: Slightly undercarbed for my taste in sours. I'd bump up the carbonation by 5% or so. Other than that, mouthfeel is dry sour excellence.

O: I'm overall quite pleased with this beer. I think this ranks up there with SiTR as the best sour that Bruery produces. It's mouth-puckering, sour goodness. That being said, I found this beer slightly too one-note and slightly too sour for my taste buds. It's just not as complex as some of my favorite sours on the market, probably because of the massive amount of sour cherries used. I definitely recommend tasting this if you have an opportunity, but I wouldn't trade a whale for it or anything.

4.49/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

750 mL bottle on trade (thanks, John Serra!), unknown bottling date (2013 vintage), poured into my Bruery "Rue the Day" glass from Urge Gastropub, drank 8/3/13 over an hour.

A: 2/3 - ruby red coloration, minimal clarity (cannot see through), carbonation very quickly dissipates into almost nothing , no alcohol legs

S: 10/12 - lots of pungent sour (especially vinegar) notes admixed with cherries and other barnyard qualities

T: 19/20 - on the anterior tongue, there's a strong sourness - vinegar, sour cherries; in the middle of the mouth, some of the vinous qualities start to rear their head probably from the oak aging - tannins and cherries; the alcohol is present but certainly not overwhelming in the taste; I taste alcohol but no malt to speak of

M: 3/5 - moderate bodied but undercarbonated for an American wild ale; I had drank Russian River's Supplication earlier tonight, and the sourness lingers too long with this one; however, I mostly detracted points for the undercarbonation

O: 9/10 - another solid offering from The Bruery, which continues to emerge as one of my favorite American breweries; they nail sours better than any other American brewery to my palate and this is another must have for fans of American wild ales

TOTAL = 43/50

4.75/5  rDev +13.9%

4.18/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Reviewed from notes. Poured from 750 mL bottle into a Brooklyn Brewery tulip glass.

A: Very hazy, deep ruby grapefruit in color, with very little head and little to no visible carbonation. It's not exactly a pretty beer.

S: Sour, tart, vinegar, sour cherries, barnyard, wet grass, funky with hints of feet and vomit...in a good way.

T: Big flavor of sour fruits up front (cherry and raspberry), very tart, sour, vinegar. Mouth-drying with just a bit of wood dryness and tannins right before and after the swallow.

M: Medium body, moderate alcohol presence, low carbonation sensation but not quite flat.

O: This was pretty good. It lacks some of the depth of flavors that the best sour beers have, and I found it borderline too acidic for my taste. But overall quite enjoyable!

3.75/5  rDev -10.1%