Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Collaboration Series: Go Team! | The Bruery

Collaboration Series: Go Team!Collaboration Series: Go Team!
3.46/5
Okay
Collaboration Series: Go Team!Collaboration Series: Go Team!

The Bruery
thebruery.com

Style: Belgian Dark Ale

Added by Halcyondays on 05-05-2012

firstprev| 26-50 | 51-75 | 76-100  | next → last
3.5/5  rDev +1.2%

2.75/5  rDev -20.5%

I must admit i had high hopes for this going in. I've liked the few Bruery beers I've had, and I Eagle Rock is amazing, and my sister's home brewery, so I presented this to share with my parents.

It poured the colour of someone's dip cup. Almost a caramel, but with more brown to it. There was a beautiful big pillowy head that lingered for a while, but once it faded it was gone and there was no lacing left.

The smell is somewhat sweet, and hearty; almost like a good winter stew. Earthy tubers and some wet corn.

The taste follows suit, with a mild sweetness that's dominated by what I can only describe as a that same wet corn malt flavour.

There is not much carbonation, but it finishes fairly easily and goes down smoothe.

As I previously mentioned, I had envisioned good things from this collaboration. I am underwhelmed. It just kind of comes off as a forgettable liquid cereal. To top it off, as I was writing this review, the beer miraculously (I SWEAR I DIDN"T TOUCH IT [ok, I bumped it with my elbow]) threw itself upon my keyboard, spilling onto my computer. It was an omen.

3.75/5  rDev +8.4%

Bottle from DovaliHops, thanks!

A: pours a light warm copper with 1 finger beige head, dissipating in about a minute.

S: notes of spices, light citrus fruits

T: getting more spices and nectarines. Nothing too overwhelming but it is very refreshing.

M: light-med. very dry, thinking of champagne. would have liked a little less carbonation on it.

O: Very refreshing beer for summer. the spice/nectarine combo i get with this is tasty. this is something I can't get in FL, and i'm glad i got to try it out. Not sure i would trade for it, but if it was available i wouldn't hesitate to have it again.

4.5/5  rDev +30.1%

3.93/5  rDev +13.6%

Poured from a 750mL bottle into a St. Bernardus goblet.

A: Lots of bubbles and a frothy head. A dappled surface on top of a highly translucent nut brown beer.

S: I was not expecting this sort of nose from a "Belgian Mild Ale." I can definitely see the BDA classification, and it has some of the rich, spicy fruit I've come to associate with BSDAs. A light tartness or yeastiness as well.

T/M: Incredibly light. Which is great for the mouthfeel, so effervescent as to approach champagne quality. Dry, light, spicy, and puckery. Definitely interesting. The flavour, however, is somewhat anaemic. Some biscuity, buttery malts followed by an endtaste of grassy, peppery, fresh yeast. Bright fruit is suffused with a welcome, but understated tartness. Subtle flavours that are unravelled after many sips. A beer of startling complexity.

O: A worthwhile beer, a good Belgian, and a fine collaboration. Still, not everyday fare and not something I'd go out of my way for.

3.77/5  rDev +9%

750ml bottle poured into my Devil's backbone glass. It poured brown orange in color with a thin, spotty, bubbly head to it. The head all but disappeared pretty quickly though.

The aroma mixes tart, crisp fruits, a little citrus zest and an earthy belgian yeast spice. I get some notes of apple, coriander, orange peel, clove and a little caramel. Pretty good aroma overall for the style, everything seemed pretty well balanced.

The taste shows more of the crisp, sweeter, fruits to it with notes of both apple and grape to it. Some of the zesty citrus flavors come out towards the finish. The earthy, slightly herbal yeast spice is more noticeable in the finish as well. As it warmed I started to get some hints of caramel and a touch of dark fruit. Again, the flavors feel pretty well balanced.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with carbonation being moderate. Overall, it was a pretty good beer. It's not a bold or extreme, but it was It was pretty flavorful, easy drinking and pretty well balanced. It was especially flavorful considering the low abv. Relative to other beers in this alcohol range, I'd say it compares pretty favorably.

3.92/5  rDev +13.3%

On tap at The Bruery Tasting Room in Placentia, CA.

Pours a clear copper with a beige head that settles to an oily film on top of the beer. Small dots of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is of grain, malt, spice, and some yeast aromas. Taste is much the same with a light spice bitterness after each sip. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a slightly crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a good beer that is tasty and easy to drink.

3.91/5  rDev +13%

Bottle (2012)

The Bruery Provisions
Orange, CA

Copper and dark rust in color with a fairly large light brown head that billows up quickly, stays for a while, and eventually settles down to a moderately sized film atop the beer. This leaves spots of lace down the glass. Appropriate and pretty for the style.

The aroma is a pleasurable enough combination of bread and yeast, with a touch of dark fruit. Pleasant, though very simple.

The flavor too is quite nice, especially for the style. The yeast, bread, and hint of dark fruits make for an incredibly drinkable combination.

Medium to full body with moderate-high carbonation--marvelously drinkable.

I really enjoy this, especially for the style.

3.28/5  rDev -5.2%

On tap at The bruery

A: Very nice amber with a moderate head. Slightly cloudy.

S: I catch a more mellow belgian character with very faint banana. They were brewing a batch in the background and it is overpowering the glass.

T: Belgian mild is a perfect desrciption. Biscuit flavor with malty finish. Not much to this.

M: Higher carbonation, especially for a Bruery beer. Light body and crisp. Very crisp and nice for summer.

O: Not one of my favorite Bruery beers. Very mellow Belgian. A nice beer for newbies or friends who aren't into craft beers.

3.68/5  rDev +6.4%

1317th Review on BA
Bottle to Bruery Tulip
750 Ml

2012

Purchased from provisions for $8

App- The color of a late sunset with a bit of caramel brown mixed in. Starts out lighter on top and darker on the bottom. A nice two finger eggshell head. Had some bubbles vs. cling in the glass.

Smell- I am going out on a limb and saying this is like a dubbel/quad/kvass minus the boozy notes. A small yeast note with some bready malts.

Taste- A bit of a flat cola flavor with a ton of earthy bready malts. A little like rye to me. Its unusually like a KVASS just amped up. Very light and very mild.

Mouth- A lighter medium body with a medium carbonation. A bit of a Rye Kvass like finish.

Drink- A good collaboration. I can tell this will be a polarizing beer. You either love it or hate it. I liked it. It was a nice layered little beer.

3.23/5  rDev -6.6%

Pours a very hazy reddish-brown color with a medium yellow-white head that disappears quickly. Scent is very tame...with some Belgian yeast...along with some German yeast/malt that could easily be mistaken for. A bit of banana and spice. Taste is malty and sweet at first, with some pleasant fig and plum flavor. Quite spicy with a lingering peppery feel on the back of the tongue. Very well balanced and just plain out easy-drinking of a beer. Kinda reminds me of a very light Belgian dubbel. Mouthfeel is light and highly carbonated. Drinkability is fairly high. Overall, I understand what they were going for with this beer...and they definitely achieved their goal. It just isn't my style when I'm wanting to enjoy a Belgian-style beer, let alone a session beer. I have a feeling there are going to be many more people who love this beer than dislike it.

3.35/5  rDev -3.2%

On-tap at The Bruery,

A: Pours a reddish brown/umber with a moderate white head, good lace.

S: Nice nose, has some true Belgian character, hint of banana bread, fig, yeast.

T: Biscuity malt with some solid yeast play, cracked grain. Light notes of allspice and pepper.

M: Light-bodied, crisp, but a tad over-carbonated, makes it hard to really taste the flavours which are good.

O: Nice little beer, the complexities in the malt/yeast play I liked, but nothing wowing here.

firstprev| 26-50 | 51-75 | 76-100  | next → last