Love Belgian Beer?

Join us Sep 17 in Portland, Maine for Return of the Belgian Beer Fest, featuring hundreds of authentic Belgian beers and Belgian-inspired offerings!

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

White Chocolate | The Bruery

YOUR RATING = None |
White ChocolateWhite Chocolate

The Bruery
California, United States | website

Style: Wheatwine

The primary component of our "White Oak" ale is a 100% barrel aged wheat wine that we affectionately refer to as "White Oak Sap." Essentially a "summer" barley-wine style ale, but made with a wheat heavy grain base, White Oak Sap is aged in used bourbon barrels for nearly a year and comes out rich in flavors of coconut, honey, caramel and vanilla. To compliment the already rich flavors of the beer, we've added cacao nibs and vanilla beans to give this beer the delicate flavor of white chocolate...hence the name.

Added by womencantsail on 08-07-2012

Reviews: 146 | Ratings: 1,119

Amazing brew, without a doubt one of my fav from The Bruery (though I just picked up the Reserve Society membership, so god knows what tasty brew is awaiting me in 2014.

For tonight I got mine from a bottle that came as a gift from my boss, served in a Bruery branded tulip. 2013. My pallet is not so refined as others, so forgive the generic and/or weird descriptions:

Pours a beautiful orangish-yellow color, with just a little bit of head. Yeast chunks are present.

I taste sweet fruit, and of course vanilla beans. Literally tastes like white chocolate covered raisins. What strikes me more is what I DON'T taste, and that's alcohol - it's there if you look for it, but it's impressive none-the-less for something that is 14.75% abv.

Something I wish I could drink every night, but that's kind of stuff is how you end up on A&E's Intervention

4.99/5  rDev +20.2%

shared with three others poured from bottle into stout glass
A - small white head that disappears quickly, medium coppery brown colour, kind of looks like a cider
S - vanilla, chocolate, some boozy notes but not to heavy
T - follows the nose, very choclatey, not much alcohol heat at all, theres a tiny bit of coconut in it as well
m - smooth, easy to drink
O - very delicious beer, im a big fan of wheatwines, although I don't get to try many

4.87/5  rDev +17.3%

This beer surpassed all expectations, this is my first Bruery beer and it was amazing. Huge vanilla on the nose and taste. Followed by nice smooth bourbon and an overall sweetness. I want more!

4.86/5  rDev +17.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

750mL bottle acquired through the Reserve Society. No bottle date but I believe it has only been bottled once in late 2012. Served in a Terrapin snifter.

Pours a hazy opaque lemon orange hue with about a half finger pale head. The head quickly recedes to a halo that leaves no lace. I don't think I've ever seen such a pale hue with this much opacity. Not cloudy but no transparency. It's a beauty.

Wow! Smells like straight up white chocolate with vanilla, bourbon, wax, a sweet fruit character and a whiff of alcohol.

My nose wasn't lying. A deliciously complex blend of flavors including vanilla, sweet cream, white chocolate, bourbon, honey, caramel, some sort of funky fruity yeast type notes, candy sugar, sweet wax and a sharp swift kick of booze that seems right at home in the mixture. As it gets to room temperature the flavors really open up even more. Amazing!

The feel is slightly effervescent but with a nice syrupy heavyness. Long sweet waxy white chocolate aftertaste.

I'll admit that as a huge fan of both wheatwines and white chocolate that I may be predisposed towards this but The Bruery has done a truly outstanding job here. Every aspect has been nailed. Hands down the best wheatwine I've had and definately in my top 3-5 beers. I'm super excited for the chance to buy more when they release it later this year.

4.84/5  rDev +16.6%

Didn't know what to think about this beer before I tried it. I really thought I wasn't going to like it. Instead it is one of my favorite beers out there. It actually taste like white chocolate. It is beyond delicious. The bottom of the bottle gets a little murky but the flavor is still there. I love this beer!

4.82/5  rDev +16.1%

2012 edition. I tried an infected 2013 version and, while interesting, wasn't appropriate to review.

A: Ripe apricot. Hazy. Barely any lacing.

S: Big bourbon barrel character with caramel, vanilla, and butterscotch.

T: Very hot. Once the booze burn dissipates you get a wash of vanilla and caramel. The cacao nibs aren't particularly noticeable but that may be the light color affecting my experience of the flavor. There's an apple-esque tartness in the finish; not an infection tartness but perhaps some esters from the base wheatwine.

M: Not as thick as I had anticipated but very hot. The burn runs from the mouth all the way to the stomach.

O: It's a pleasure finally getting to try this. A beautiful scent, a good flavor. Was it worth the hunt? Perhaps, perhaps not. I am, however, looking forward to trying the next version.

Updated for 2014 edition:

T: Not as hot. Lots of caramel, vanilla, and the oaky/coconut flavors of the wood. This is exactly what I was hoping for when I tried it the first time.

O: Amazing. Drink this one fresh-ish so that the vanilla doesn't fall off too much.

4.78/5  rDev +15.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

750 ml bottle, poured into a goblet

Appearance: Pours a beautiful, completely opaque, golden color, speckled with lots of orange highlights, and a quarter of a finger of white-colored head that quickly dissolved away into a thin lacing of foam that almost completely covered the top of the beer.

Aroma: Very aromatic, with lots of toasted malt, citrus, such as orange and a touch of lemon, and tons of chocolate. Such a unique smelling beer. Bright and inviting.

Taste: Wow! Delicious!! Lots of malt and wheat up front, bready and earthy, immediately followed by tons of vanilla bean, some pronounced citrus, almost a touch of sour, some candied sugar-like sweetness, nice hints of bourbon and oak, and finished by lots of earthy semi-sweet chocolate. Absolutely unique and delicious!

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied and nicely effervescent as there’s quite a bit of carbonation to tickle the taste buds and lift the chocolate over the palate. With an ABV of 14.3%, there is a pleasant alcohol warmth on the palate.

Overall: This is an exceptional, totally unique and delicious beer. So many complex, layers of flavor. Bready, boozy, sour, sweet, outstanding.

4.75/5  rDev +14.5%

Before even seeing this bottle, and knowing little about The Bruery (had only tried the Tart of Darkness prior). First nose and sip I was convinced this was a sour. A delicious one at that. Was drunk at a bottle share so can't say much about my 2-3oz pour. But later found out that this was totally infected. Hoping to try it non-infected but would gladly buy this as a sour.

4.75/5  rDev +14.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

bourbon barrels for nearly a year and comes out rich in flavors of coconut, honey, caramel and vanilla. Strong white chocolate aroma...poured from a bomber into a 2 oz taster glass.

4.74/5  rDev +14.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Wow. 2 hours after having a taste of Garage Brewings' Marshmallow Stout, we are now splitting this massive gem 3-ways.

Look- Looks a whiskey amber color. Head dissipated fairly quickly. Quite a bit of alcohol legs on this one.

Smell- Wow! Bourbon bomb with some chocolate notes. A lot of vanilla and some malt. Pretty much white chocolate. Good stuff.

Taste- Tastes like I dipped a Hersheys Cookies and Cream bar into a glass of fine bourbon. Quite sweet but if you were expected anything else than I don't know what to tell you.

Feel- A very slight alcohol twinge but that is to be expected. Very velvety and slick.

Overall- I feel like I am a kid being let loose in a candy store without any adult supervision. Going to cellar my second bottle for a year and revisit this. Looking forward to it.

4.72/5  rDev +13.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Revisited: This beer was infected the first time I had it. I was given another bottle of this beer recently and was hoping to for the best with it. The beer still poured out the same way, nothing too special to look at but the smell and taste were much better. The vanilla and cocoa stand out really well with the boozy bourbon barrel aroma. The taste gets better as the beer warms up. The sweetness of the vanilla and chocolate come out really nicely here, it makes you want to savor each sip. The rest of the beer is how it should be but this deserved to be bumped up a bit since last time I wasn't that impressed with it.

First beer of 2013 and a big thanks to MexicanSkittel for sending over this one to me. This was a beer I was pretty excited to try for a good amount of time. The beer poured out as muddy looking gold or copper color with a fizzy white head that comes and goes very quickly. No retention or lacing at all in this beer but I suppose it's due to the high ABV. The smell of the beer is strong, it's got a lot of boozy ethanol fumes as well as vanilla, cocoa and bourbon oak. The smell does resemble actual White Chocolate a little bit. The taste of the beer at first has some sour notes that were a little unexpected from the barrel aging. The more I drank the vanilla and chocolate flavors became more intense which was really impressive. The mouthfeel of the beer was boozy, a little syrupy and had a moderate carbonation to it. Overall I expected the beer to be more along the lines of a Southern Tier Creme Brulee or something like that. It was much stronger than I thought it'd be as well. It's not as good as I had hoped for in my opinion, still very glad I got to try it though.

4.71/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Striking golden color, clean, and aromatic. Strong scent of butterscotch, boozy warmth on the first sip, but fades as you continue drinking. Decadent and sweet, but not syrupy. An absolutely amazing beer. Worth the $30 price tag.

4.7/5  rDev +13.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Let me start by saying that I'm really not a fan of the base beer. That said, this stuff is freaking amazing.

A: Pours a light apricot color with a thin and foamy cream colored head.

S: Wheat mixed with white chocolate, cocoa powder, marshmallow and just a hint of booze.

T: One of my friends I was tasting this with called it best- this tastes like a White Chocolate Clif Bar. It's almost identical to the white chocolate coating that they use. I get cocoa, bourbon, milk chocolate, a lingering, almost sour finish and just a touch of oak. Slight burn from the booze, but this beer is just money.

4.7/5  rDev +13.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A - Deep, opaque, bright apricot orange body. Fine bone-white head pours a finger and a half high with ok retention and lace.

S - Holy shit. Creamy white chocolate ganache, toasted almonds, mellow honey, rich cream, and bold Madagascar vanilla beans.

T - White grapes, warm milk, smooth white chocolate, tart white peaches, vanilla milk, sweet cream, bright oak, cognac, and just a hint of soft milk chocolate.

M - Nice smoothness on a medium frame.

O - An absolutely fantastic wheatwine; the best I've ever had. The flavor profile that they build around the base style is brilliant.

4.68/5  rDev +12.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

2012 Bottle (thanks miguel blanco!)

Appearance - Slight hazy amber. No head. Some sediment.

Aroma - White chocolate, sweet wheat, vanilla, coconut.

Taste - Tons of white chocolate, bourbon vanilla, slight tartness, and subtle coconut.

Mouthfeel - Oily, yet drying. Possibly because of the alcohol? Perfect carbonation. Medium bodied.

Overall - White chocolate bomb! The tartness was a real pleasant surprise as well. The 14.whatever% alcohol is not a factor at all. I wouldn't change this beer ever. One of my recent favorites.

4.67/5  rDev +12.5%

White Chocolate
750ml Bottle
Served in a Bruery tulip glass

A: This Wheat wine pours surprisingly effervescent which immediately disappeared leaving no head and only slight lacing. Slightly cloudy with a appealing golden straw color. Some alcohol legs are visible from this 14.0% ABV beer.

S: The smell gives off coconut, biscuit, vanilla and a strong chocolate finish. There is no booze on the aroma.

T: Big vanilla and chocolate flavors dominate this beer (just like the name says). Like the aroma there is a biscuit and coconut aftertaste. Surprisingly smooth, there is a little alcohol bite on the back end. This is one sweet beer. Don’t try to finish this bottle in one shot or you will be sorry. A good beer to share with some friends.

M: This beer has a fantastic creamy mouthfeel. It really is like drinking White Chocolate. Typical little or no carbonation. This beer is fairly thick and sticky.

O: If you are a fan of the sticky sweet beers, this beer is for you. Amazing flavor profile coupled with a unusual mouth feel make this beer a winner in my book. The longer I held onto it and let it warm up the better it got. This beer is another beer I would recommend.

4.67/5  rDev +12.5%

A - The color of wheat. Golden brown and very cloudy. Lots of sediment floating around and very cloudy. Poured a thin white head that vanished pretty quickly. Not really sure how to rate the appearance of a wheat wine.

S - Very surprising how strong the white chocolate fragrance is. The white chocolate is followed up by a sour fruit smell of grapes, cranberries, and black berries.

T - Lots of chocolate that transforms into a white wine. The warmer this brew got the more the chocolate really stood out. Plenty of oak in the back end and the taste really finishes like a wine. Might be the most unique flavor I've tasted in a beer that is actually good.

M - Very light and VERY dry. Really drinks like a chardonnay. Very smooth for such a high ABV.

O - I'm very pleased with the uniqueness of this beer. This is a true work of art that I'm sure isn't for everyone. I'd love to try it on tap.

4.66/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Pours a very clear, light red/gold with champagne-esque bubbles that dissipate very quickly. The smell is all chocolate up front with an acidic wine smell at the back. The smell has me anticipating something epic. The flavor is much like the description from The Bruery -- tons of white chocolate, vanilla, and bourbon perfectly balanced by the malty backbone and hop profile; followed up by a cider like aftertaste. The sweetness is minimal, which helps keep this drinking like a strong ale. The mouth feel is thin and dry like a white wine. The ABV isn't well hidden, but that's not a bad thing.

Overall, I'm surprised this brew doesn't receive as much love as all of their other brews. It is surprisingly complex for such a chocolate infused brew. This may be one of my favorites of theirs, and I've had a majority of them.

4.63/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

A: A very pale yellow with a thin ivory white head.

S: There is a perfect blend of chocolate, vanilla, and bourbon throughout.

T: First off, I was shocked that the 14+% was hidden throughout. The taste starts off with a very smooth vanilla then transitions to bourbon. Next the chocolate comes forward to blend with the oak and vanilla to create the flavor of white chocolate.

M: A little heavy and has surprisingly good carbonation given the high alcohol.

O: Phenominal beer. Worth the trade demand. I put the value at 3-4 KH.

4.62/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: poured a bright yellow orange in color with brown highlights and a nice half finger of head with good retention that left a little bubbly lacing sticking to the glass.

S: WOW!!.. It really does have the aroma of white chocolate, I don't know how they pulled it off. Definitely was very very sweet but was able to detect plenty of caramel, vanilla, a little oakiness, hints of booze, malty sweetness and some underlying toffee notes.

T: just like the aroma suggest there was huge white chocolate flavor alongside caramel, toffee, sweet maltiness, good oaky accents, mild booze that was well balanced, a little yeast character, hints of banana and a touch of vanilla; very delicious.

M: the brew was medium to full in body with a moderate amount of carbonation which had a very sweet, white chocolatey, slightly oaky, mild fruity and boozey but with a silky rich finish.

O: I have to say I am by any means not a fan of white chocolate candy but damn this beer is delicious and the aroma is crazy nuts. The only con is that the sweetness is pretty intense and you might go diabetic after this one.

4.59/5  rDev +10.6%

Humongous thanks to mike for tossing me this one just because I flipped out over it at a tasting. Just couldn't hold it any longer...enjoyed from a bruery tulipy snifter.

a - pried the wax and decapped the beer. filled my glass. the brew poured a murky orange with about 2 fingers of bubbly head that bubbled away as quick as it appeared leaving no lacing and just a thin ring of bubbles around the surface of the brew. the beer has a boozy glass and slides down the glass slowly.

s - AW YEAH! as a monster fan of white chocolate the chocolate, this beer is well named! it smells perfectly like white chocolate. the cocoa nibs and vanilla beans are just a perfect blend and the bourbon barrels add just the right amount of booziness to make this a masterpiece on the olfactory system.

t - much like the nose, the flavor is spot on for a beer called white chocolate. the bourbon barrel is a bit more upfront on the flavor than the nose, but again cocoa nibs and vanilla is a magical blend on this wheat wine. you really don't get the 14% maybe 10, but wow, what a beer!

m - uber smooth. great balance of flavors and booziness. medium bodied which is fairly light for such a HUGE beer.

o - overall, i was floored by this beer at an epic tasting and i'm just as floored with it today. the bruery makes a massive variety of beers and while i appreciate their experimentation, some of these beers simply fall flat. this one, however, is at the top of the mountain as one of the best beers i've had from the bruery. i am in LOVE with this beer.

--- edit 2012-12-06 ---
4 - 5 - 4.5 - 4 - 4.5
Notes taken from 9/29 from the craziest bottle share that i have ever been a part of. Thanks so much to the NYC and Hoboken crew for letting me participate in this incredible day of drinking long time wants and insanity.

Thanks kindly to Mike for sharing.

a - pours murky orange with a think head if at all
s - yum, white chocolate. bourbon vanilla. fantastic!
t - booze soaked white chocolate. boozy marshmellows
m - a bit boozy
o - overall, great. white chocolate!!!

4.59/5  rDev +10.6%

Poured from a bottle into a cigar city snifter. Not sure what year this is from, I'm guessing this year.

A: rich orange body with a small white head. Turned into just a few bubbles quickly. Tons of alcohol lacing. Looks good for a 14.5% wheatwine.

S: the smell is the best aspect of this beer. It's a bit unbelievable how true to the name this is. White chocolate ,vanilla cake with vanilla icing, a hint of coconut and bourbon barrel. Sweet malt and wheat. Hard time picking up any hop aromas. I've never smelled a brew like this.

A: stays true to the wheat wine style but adds just a ton of sweet cacao, coconut, bourbon, and vanilla from the oak and beans. Bready wheat flavors at the forefront. Good attenuation, sweet but not sickening which I was worried about. We also picked up a little funkiness to it at the end, I think that's from the wheat in this.

M: On the lighter side of a full mouthfeel, not like an imperial porter or stout. Still sticky and heavy. Low carbonation. Flavors cover and assult the palate, not in a bad way though. The booze is there for sure as it warms and if you let it sit in your mouth you'll get the heat. Immediately feeling it in my stomach and it's warmin' me up real good. I didn't sip this one that slowly actually, really tasty but not cloying.

O: this is a fun ass big American beer. Not something I wanna drink very often but the bruery did a great job at making a white chocolate wheat wine, that's exactly what it smells and tastes like. if your one of those people that just goes crazy for big sweet beers, this and a lot of the bruery beers are for you . If you dont want to be drinking sweet boozy beer, then i understand, its not for most occasions. And I could see how this brew could even offend some beerdrinkers, it's just fucking nuts that only American brewers, and the Bruery, would try to pull off. I think it smelled better than it tasted. .some next level shit. Obviously a beer like this will only get better with time to mellow out.

4.58/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Had this at a tasting and went back for seconds. Happy to get a bottle in a recent trade to share with the wife!

A - this beer pours out at a deep straw-colored tone, with plenty of white frothy head to boot; the carbonation is excellent, the lacing significant

S - this beer smells like white chocolate...surprise! The nose also includes some toasted sugar, frosted oats, caramel, and booze; the bourbon is there, as is the cacao; as it warms, the coconut is noticed

T - just like the nose, and just like the name...the vanilla and cacao-caramel shine through; it's really kind of amazing how perfectly white chocolate this beer is; it's sweet and packs some heat, but my wife guessed an abv at 9: that means this beer does extremely well with its complex flavors; as it warms, that honey shines

M - WC is heavy in flavors, but a perfect medium in feel and body; the carbonation is perfect as well; as mentioned, it's a bit sweet, but if you didn't expect that, then you don't know how to read labels; the heat is noticeable but not too much

O - this is an awesome desert beer and perfect to share with. That said, I could take this down solo with pleasure. This beer, along with Fruet and Melange, make me happy to be an RS member and make me feel like the Bruery owns this country's best barrel program. And I haven't even had CR, BT, or GM. Soon...

4.57/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Big thank you to ObeMaltKinobee for this big want!

Appearance. Pours a very hazy gold with a little amber and a finger of frothy, cream coloured head.

Smell. Grainy wheat malt and booze with a ton of sweet white chocolate. There's also a little bourbon and vanilla, maybe some caramel, but the combination really gives the impression of white chocolate. Very cool.

Taste. Grainy but smooth wheat malt, bourbon and vanilla ...then the chocolate kicks in. Smooth creamy white chocolate coats the mouth in the finsh. Very nice and not as sweet as I guessed it would be, a welcomed surprise.

Mouthfeel. On the lowest side of full bodied with low+ carbonation. Some boozy warmth but nothing offensive.

Overall. An impressive take on a wheatwine. Very creative and quite tasty without any excessive sweetness as mentioned. Very cool beer.

4.57/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A--Surprisingly light in color. Orange-yellow with very little head.

S--Very sweet, strong vanilla and a bit of bourbon. I don't really smell the chocolate, even looking at the bottle and expecting it from the name. The smell is very appealing, though. It does not smell boozy despite the 14% abv.

T--Again sweet and heavy vanilla, with more bourbon and oak and faint chocolate. There is a lot going on here, all of it delicious. Again, not much punch given the alcohol content. I would say to be careful, but given its cost and rarity, I would say go for it.

M--Very smooth and thick. Light carbonation, but definitely not syrupy, presumably thanks to the alcohol.

This is a delicious beer from an amazing brewery known for its big, complex beers. I am sadly not a Reserve Society member, so I'm not sure when I'll have another shot at it, but I will definitely jump at the chance should it arise.

White Chocolate from The Bruery