White Chocolate | The Bruery

The Bruery
thebruery.com

Style: Wheatwine

ABV varies by batch.

The primary component of our "White Oak" ale is a 100% barrel aged wheat wine that we affectionately refer to as "White Oak Sap." Essentially a "summer" barley-wine style ale, but made with a wheat heavy grain base, White Oak Sap is aged in used bourbon barrels for nearly a year and comes out rich in flavors of coconut, honey, caramel and vanilla. To compliment the already rich flavors of the beer, we've added cacao nibs and vanilla beans to give this beer the delicate flavor of white chocolate...hence the name.

Added by womencantsail on 08-07-2012

Ratings: 1,239 |  Reviews: 178

Thanks for the infected beer Bruery. It made a great birthday beer.

Bottled 8/8/2014. Infected bottle.

I am a preservation society member for 2014 living in Virginia. I have the beer shipped to my sister who lives in California. Then a very kind family member who lives on the east coast, but not in Virginia, brought this bottle back to the east coast. Then i picked this bottle up. That's a lot of work to get this beer. I paid $30 plus shipping, minus the preservation society discount for this beer, plus all that additional work for me and other family members. I expect better quality control from The Bruery than the infected bottle I received.

The beer tasted like funky bourbon. Extremely carbonated - made my tongue tingle. No chocolate, no sweetness, no vanilla. Just very disappointed. I could drink the bottle and didn't get sick or anything. But didn't taste as expected.

I am sorry, but given the effort taken to get this bottle, I am not going to give a 4.75 score to an infected beer when I am expecting something else. I appreciate the efforts of The Bruery to avoid contamination by splitting their sours off as Bruery Terreux. Hopefully I can try a non-infected White Chocolate soon.

1.25/5  rDev -70%

1.43/5  rDev -65.7%

Terrible. No white chocolate, no vanilla, no cocoa, no bourbon. Sour and tart. A huge disappointment. I've had an infected cacaonut and this wasn't as god-awful but it wasn't good. Most expensive drain pour I've had yet. It took me a long time to land this and it was beyond an epic disappointment. Given the choice of bein forced to drink this or my own urine, I'd pick urine. Uhh

1.5/5  rDev -64%

1.5/5  rDev -64%

2.05/5  rDev -50.8%

Pour is a transparent dark amber with a foamy white head. Nose is a fair bit of bourbon, heavy wheat base and odd caramel malt, muddled and dirty with a hint of coconut and notes of milk chocolate. Taste is extremely sweet and not integrated at all. The bourbon is lighter, notes of apple juice and some overly sweet caramel. The chocolate and nib notes are extremely out of place and don't fit in at all. There is tons of sugar, hints of booziness through the softly carbonated finish. The body is big, soft palate and creamy.

2.25/5  rDev -46%

2.31/5  rDev -44.6%

Received a few of these from good trading partners over the last little while. Cheers for thinking of me fellas!

From a 750 into a snifter

APPEARANCE: Pours a thin, one finger, loose looking, white head with lousy retention. Fead dissipates quickly to a ring and a light, faint wisp. Hazy amber in color with high levels of carbonation. A half ring remains until the end but leaves no lacing down the glass. Color is fine, but the head could use some work.

SMELL: Toffee, caramel, vanilla and some nice bourbon notes on the nose. The combination definitely results in what could be interpreted as white chocolate, which is interesting. Some sweet cream and milk chocolate complete the package. Not sure if I like this, but it is definitely well executed.

TASTE: Some toffee, wheat flavors, bourbon and vanilla up front, with some oak, sweet cream and more bourbon barrel at the swallow. Not as bold as hoped, and artificial tasting as well. Doesn't quite live up to the nose at least. Some white chocolate flavor lingers after the swallow on top of a boozy and somewhat boring base beer. A milder and short-lived aftertaste is boozy with some bourbon and artificial white chocolate flavors. Flavor falls off quicker than expected. Not impressive at all.

PALATE: Lighter body and higher levels of carbonation. A little fizzy and airy on the palate, unfortunately, goes down rough and is harsh and abrasive at the swallow. Finishes quite sticky as well. Pretty tough going to say the least.

OVERALL: How does this get a 4.19 on this site? I understand that people like The Bruery's high abv booze bombs, and there are some good ones, but this is definitely bottom of the barrel in that department. While the nose showed some promise, this was artificial tasting, boozy, muted, and the feel was light and harsh, making it difficult to choke down my 6oz glass. Fruet was leagues better than this, proving that The Bruery can make high quality booze bombs. This was a complete disaster, however. Drain even had a tough time with this, and she's dealt with some doozies in the past. I'm glad you boys were thinking of me when this came out, so I greatly appreciate the bottles gents. Can't win 'em all.

2.33/5  rDev -44.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 1.75

Pours an opaque cloudy orange color. A white head forms, but recedes to nothing with no lace.

Forgoing my usual review outline, I have know idea how to rate this. My first bottle was sickly and cloyingly sweet with bitter chocolate. Taste basically the same. Though recent bottles have yielded and out of whack, pungent and acidic sourness. The feel is supper thick, and overly resinous. Hot alcohol all the way through.

Every time I have had this, it has been a chore to put away a few ounces. Not something I have ever remembered enjoying. Non infected bottle or not. A poorly made beer.

White Chocolate from The Bruery