Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

White Chocolate | The Bruery

The Bruery
thebruery.com

Style: Wheatwine

ABV varies by batch.

The primary component of our "White Oak" ale is a 100% barrel aged wheat wine that we affectionately refer to as "White Oak Sap." Essentially a "summer" barley-wine style ale, but made with a wheat heavy grain base, White Oak Sap is aged in used bourbon barrels for nearly a year and comes out rich in flavors of coconut, honey, caramel and vanilla. To compliment the already rich flavors of the beer, we've added cacao nibs and vanilla beans to give this beer the delicate flavor of white chocolate...hence the name.

Added by womencantsail on 08-07-2012

Ratings: 1,245 |  Reviews: 181
2.5/5  rDev -40%

2.55/5  rDev -38.8%

2.8/5  rDev -32.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

2.8/5  rDev -32.9%

I'm a fan of the sour offerings from The Bruery, but this one was not for me. It had a stabbing alcohol flavor at the beginning and then a taste reminiscent of stomach acid. It did finish with a "white chocolate" aftertaste, but the road was too long to get there. Others may like this one, but again, it was not for me.

2.89/5  rDev -30.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Appearance: When I looked at it, I thought man this one is going to be good. It has a nice deep barrel amber color to it with no head (it exploded out of the bottle when I first opened it up).

Smell: Little bit of bourbon but nothing else. Was expecting vanilla, caramel, etc... but nope

Taste: Sour, not very good. Was expecting something different. Maybe it was the wheat wine, I don't know. Didn't have previous editions, so I can't compare. Not happy with it though.

Mouthful: Extremely carbonated. As I stated, popped the cap and it gushed (more like exploded) out of the bottle. This left about 3/4 of the bottle left.

Overall: Not what I expected. I love The Bruery (I belong to the Preservation Club) and I saw this online to purchase. Bought two bottles, received next day shipping and cooled to 55 degrees. First bottle I thought was a fluke. Saw all these posts and deceided to pop other bottle. Won't buy again.

2.95/5  rDev -29.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Maybe I received a bad bottle but I didn't think this one was very good. Might have to revisit but I really don't see me buying this one again. I'd rather buy more Chocolate Rain or the week days from them.

White Chocolate from The Bruery