White Chocolate | The Bruery

White ChocolateWhite Chocolate

The Bruery

Style: Wheatwine

The primary component of our "White Oak" ale is a 100% barrel aged wheat wine that we affectionately refer to as "White Oak Sap." Essentially a "summer" barley-wine style ale, but made with a wheat heavy grain base, White Oak Sap is aged in used bourbon barrels for nearly a year and comes out rich in flavors of coconut, honey, caramel and vanilla. To compliment the already rich flavors of the beer, we've added cacao nibs and vanilla beans to give this beer the delicate flavor of white chocolate...hence the name.

Added by womencantsail on 08-07-2012

Reviews: 151 | Ratings: 1,128
4.24/5  rDev +2.2%

75cl bottle from 2012, shared by Doug on 15 August. Poured into an unlabeled snifter.

Pours a thinnish-looking orange, straw coloured body. Not much head or lacing to be found here. Still, the colour throws me off because of the name White Chocolate, but I have to remember that this is not called that name for the looks.

Now the smell on this thing is amazing and unique. It smells like white chocolate fondue. It really does. So much vanilla, milk chocolate and some sugar in there with a splash of bourbon heat. I can't get over how much this beer smells like actual white chocolate. So awesome.

The taste isn't quite as white chocolatey as the smell, but it does follow quite a bit. Lots of vanilla, some bourbon, and some toffee and caramel with oak. The malt backbone on this beer is relatively small for the adjuncts that I taste here.. it's tasty in an unique way, runs rather hot like a typical Bruery beer.

Mouthfeel is a bit disappointingly thin. OK carbonation, not as much as I think this beer would need. Aftertaste is an interesting mixture of bourbon and milk chocolate sweetness.. gets a bit cloying as it warms up. Alcohol heat is actually decently strong at the beginning and it only gets stronger as it warms up.

The smell is the best thing about this beer. It's probably one of the best smelling beers I've ever had. The rest of the beer holds up rather well, but is nowhere near as awesome as the smell is. Worth trying at least once, but as with other Bruery beers, it's just not something I want to drink on a regular basis. Thanks again for sharing this one, Doug!

3.43/5  rDev -17.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to eyebereej for sending this bottle! Reviewed from notes. Poured from 750 mL bottle into a Russian River snifter.

A: Pours a hazy deep gold, with a thin white head that fades fast despite lots of visible carbonation.

S: Big barrel presence, fairly boozy, with vanilla, oak, and a restrained cacao with a noticeable sweet bready malt.

T: Barrel flavors lead the way here as well. Then vanilla, booze, wheat, malts (caramel, and more
toffee shows up as the beer warms slightly). A bit grainy, and the cacao is still a bit more subdued than expected. Overall stays sweet into the finish.

M: Sticky mouthfeel, a lighter body than expected, and the alcohol is quite noticeable but still doesn't seem overly hot. Low carbonation sensation despite all the visible bubbles.

O: I don't know that I'm going to be able to explain this one. It just really didn't do it for me. I think the amount of maltiness didn't stand up to the treatments, and it's just too sweet to drink much of. It lacks the heft of a nice barrel-aged barleywine. I was really looking forward to this beer, and just came away disappointed. In general, I'd be tempted to give it a second go, but at this price point I don't know that I will.

4.27/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Bottle courtesy of oline73, thanks again!

A- not a good looking beer, pours a rusty muddled brown-orange with a head I'd be disappointed with if I saw on my homebrew. Alas, it is barrel aged, so I won't be too harsh

S- Vanilla with the familiar wheatwine alcohol heat

T- BOOM! it all works! open up first as a vanilla shake then fades into a finish of creamy white chocolate, amazing

M- perfect, thick body that holds the flavors well and even adds to the experience keeping the milkshake flavors together with a milkshake like body, no sign of the alcohol from the nose

O- Beer doesn't look all the great and the nose isn't earth shattering, but everything is amazing. Great beer, very interesting idea, worth seeking out!

4.22/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Bottle graciously shared by sstorck, my portion into a Stone chalice.

A: Clear gold with no head, some carbonation is visible though.

S: Huge vanilla and cocoa powder aroma, lots of oak as well...fairly subdued booze (I was expecting more of a beast!) but still plenty of bourbon, whiskey, even vinous notes. Tangy & bready wheat component in there as well. Sweet and intense.

T: Really follows the nose, the burn is quite manageable and cuts the sugary sweet base of this beer quite a bit. Big vanilla finish give the impression of extra-sugary white chocolate. Oak, bourbon, and wheat...still a bit vinous with a good amount of whiskey/bourbon character. Warming finish, for sure.

MF: Creamy and smooth, this still feels like its a touch short of full-bodied...maybe thats the alcohol cutting into it some? Lower carbonation, as expected, turns this into a slow sipper.

O: Pretty awesome; this is my first wheatwine and I doubt it'll get much better than this. BIG, sugary sweet beer; LOTS of vanilla, oak, white chocolate, and bourbon here. Split this bottle several ways, and take your time ;)

Thanks sstorck!

4.7/5  rDev +13.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Let me start by saying that I'm really not a fan of the base beer. That said, this stuff is freaking amazing.

A: Pours a light apricot color with a thin and foamy cream colored head.

S: Wheat mixed with white chocolate, cocoa powder, marshmallow and just a hint of booze.

T: One of my friends I was tasting this with called it best- this tastes like a White Chocolate Clif Bar. It's almost identical to the white chocolate coating that they use. I get cocoa, bourbon, milk chocolate, a lingering, almost sour finish and just a touch of oak. Slight burn from the booze, but this beer is just money.

4.12/5  rDev -0.7%

Good Beer 4th of July
poured down the middle, tulip
A - thin white head, goes away quick, hazy orange marmalade color
S - not a big fan at first but grows on me quickly. sweet, cookies, boozy, raw cocoa, vanilla, i can see the white chocolate connection. gets so much better as it warms up
T - very boozy, I wish it had less heat, vanilla, again, the name makes sense
M - nice, nothing crazy but about what a good quality wheatwine should be
O - disappointed because of the heat and booze, really love the smell

4.53/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - pours a glowing yellow/gold with minimal white head, no lacing to speak of, minimal retention.

S - white chocolate, almonds, sweet vanilla bourbon, sweet semi dry white wine and coconut.

T - boozy bourbon (lots of vanilla, some oak) white chocolate initially, lots of sweet/semi tart white wine, vanilla, coconut, maybe even some raisins, maple syrup. The white chocolate is dead

M - medium bodied+, decently carbonated but still very smooth

O - absolutely delicious

3.05/5  rDev -26.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.75

Served on-draught into a 50cl brandy stem-snifter at Beer Belly in Koreatown last week. Expectations were high. 14% according to their menu. Cost was $7.00 USD. Reviewed from notes.

A: Pours a one finger head of milky beige colour. Recedes quite fast; retention is a scant one minute at best. Forgivable given the insane ABV. Decent creaminess and thickness.

Body colour is a murky caramel-peach. Nontransparent. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show.

Okay overall, but not unique or special.

Sm: Surprisingly timid. No alcohol is detectable - which is shocking. No yeast is detectable. Maybe some fermented peach? Caramalt. Tropical hop notes. Light vanilla/creme brulee character. Light malty sweetness. A surprisingly mild aroma for the style and ABV. Not off-putting, but not appealing either. There's little going on here to get excited about.

T: Sweet. Floral hops. Some cream. Peach fruit - as murky and unevocative as it can possibly be. Some alcohol does come through, but it's not boozy or hot. Malty body is indistinct and forgettable. Some generic caramalts. Restrained unremarkable vanilla. Balance is muddled and far from ideal. Kind of a mess, actually. There's some complexity, but no subtlety. I'm underwhelmed and disappointed. Some light white chocolate does come through, but it's hardly well integrated and there's nowhere near enough to justify naming the beer after it.

Mf: Smooth and wet. On the thicker side. Adequately carbonated. Not crisp, soft, oily, or harsh. Suits the flavour profile in a general detached careless sense. The texture certainly doesn't feel custom-tailored to the flavours. Unrefreshing. Pretty good presence on the palate. Pretty good body.

Dr: Quite drinkable for the ABV - I'll give it that. But boy am I sincerely disappointed; I'm shocked people pay a membership fee to buy beers as mediocre as this. Definitely not worth trading for. Severely underwhelming. I honestly wouldn't order this again. I hope it's better in bottled form. It hides its ABV well, but beyond that I really don't understand the appeal. I can't believe this is even talked about as a great beer. But in the words of a wise comedian, it'll get you drunk.

4.99/5  rDev +20.2%

shared with three others poured from bottle into stout glass
A - small white head that disappears quickly, medium coppery brown colour, kind of looks like a cider
S - vanilla, chocolate, some boozy notes but not to heavy
T - follows the nose, very choclatey, not much alcohol heat at all, theres a tiny bit of coconut in it as well
m - smooth, easy to drink
O - very delicious beer, im a big fan of wheatwines, although I don't get to try many

4.3/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

750mL bottle poured into FW mini-snifter - thanks to egadbananas

Glowing light golden pour with a thin bone white head resting on top. Specks of lacing dot the glass while drinking.

Like a boozy dessert in a glass - assorted scents of birthday cake, vanilla, bourbon, oak, caramel, coconut and syrup. Sweet and warm.

Booze-soaked white chocolate right up front, punctuated by a variety of decadent, warm, sweet flavors. Drizzled in honey and syrup, the vanilla beans combine with oak and bourbon for continuing warmth. Birthday cake, vanilla icing, caramel and a thick wheat backbone. Full flavored, for sure, wildly sweet, but incredibly flavorful throughout.

Full bodied, milder carbonation, creamy, sticky and soft on the tongue. Similar to what others have said, this beer is wildly expressive and flavorful, although insanely sweet and rich. We split a bottle between 4 people and finished every drop.

4.22/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Consumed on 6/8/13, paired with white chocolate bark.

Smells like someone dropped white chocolate into a bottle of bourbon. Obviously white chocolate, oak, bourbon.

Taste was much the same. This was a truly decadent beer! However, I don't know how often I could have something like this without getting sick. It tastes strong (which it most certainly is), and it's almost sickly sweet (though maybe that's because I was eating white chocolate alongside it!).

Mouthfeel was very pleasant. Moderate carbonation. It feels heavy in the mouth, but not like syrup, which is what I was thinking it would be like.

Overall a fantastic product. I would strongly recommend pairing this with white chocolate desserts. However, any more than the 4 or 5 ounces I had would probably result in me feeling quite ill.

4.05/5  rDev -2.4%

Blessings on the alley of bigdaddypolite for this bottle, pulled from his stash as a Reserve Society member. As a card-carrying lover of wheatwines, this was high on my list. Now it's in my glass. 750ML bottle split with my wife.

The pour is an opaque apricot that borders on still water. Nose is wildly like White Bark Chocolate, along with a ton of vanilla & some caramel. My wife says it smells like my Belgian Waffles with bourbon maple syrup on them. I'm taking that as a complement.

White Chocolate resembles a wheatwine, & a beer, only to someone who might not know what those words mean in English; this is a huge beer. Bourbon is rampant, the white chocolate is a sweet blast on the tongue, & hand-cranked vanilla ice cream. Caramel present but bludgeoned to death by its overbearing neighbors. Wheat? None I can sense. Don't drink this near open flames, there's enough alcohol to make my eyes begin to glaze over. Amazingly smooth, almost creamy, slips down the throat with velvet ease. Pretty sure I could take down the whole bomber. Not so sure I could make it up two flights of stairs afterwards.

This 'beer' most closely resembles a fancy after-dinner chocolate liquer, both in taste, apparent alcohol content, & mouthfeel. The Bruery knows how to make big beer bombs, both the good kind & the bad. This is one of the former. Sneaking over the border of excellent.

3.88/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

750mL waxed bottle poured into a snifter. Thanks to Matt for sharing!

(A)- Pours a hazy golden orange color. Produced some white froth and lacing.

(S)- So sweet! I totally get the name of this beer with the sheer and pure mountains of white chocolate this has in the aroma. One of the few times the name really does fit how the beer truly is.

(T)- Again, the name totally fits this. A huge sweet and rich white chocolate profile. Really no other way to describe this other than an immensely sweet, liquid alcoholic white chocolate.

(M)- A mellow carbonation level meets and extremely sweet white chocolate profile. Damn is this sweet though. Almost cloyingly too sweet for me.

(O)- This is so sugary sweet, but damn it does it fit the name perfectly. Very interesting to say the least. Very happy we split this 5 ways.

4.41/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 750 mL bottle into a tulip glass. 2012 Edition.

Appearance: Pours a deep honey, amber color and leaves a finger of off-white head that fades very quickly.

Smell: Delicious bourbon, vanilla and chocolate, as well as some oak. Mouth-watering sweet scents. Finishes with a bit of bourbon heat.

Taste: Plenty of tasty bourbon and malts. Finishes with light chocolate and strong vanilla - definitely reminds me of savory white chocolate! Amazing finish. A touch of heat just before the finish, but not overbearing at all. Also some oak and a touch of wheat in there.

Mouth-feel: Medium carbonation with a medium body. Nice and creamy, and there is a bit of heat but it is still relatively smooth.

Overall: I was very pleased with this brew. The time in the barrels gave this beer some really nice bourbon flavors and the vanilla and cacao gave it an incredible finish. Definitely a very tasty sipper.

4.86/5  rDev +17.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

750mL bottle acquired through the Reserve Society. No bottle date but I believe it has only been bottled once in late 2012. Served in a Terrapin snifter.

Pours a hazy opaque lemon orange hue with about a half finger pale head. The head quickly recedes to a halo that leaves no lace. I don't think I've ever seen such a pale hue with this much opacity. Not cloudy but no transparency. It's a beauty.

Wow! Smells like straight up white chocolate with vanilla, bourbon, wax, a sweet fruit character and a whiff of alcohol.

My nose wasn't lying. A deliciously complex blend of flavors including vanilla, sweet cream, white chocolate, bourbon, honey, caramel, some sort of funky fruity yeast type notes, candy sugar, sweet wax and a sharp swift kick of booze that seems right at home in the mixture. As it gets to room temperature the flavors really open up even more. Amazing!

The feel is slightly effervescent but with a nice syrupy heavyness. Long sweet waxy white chocolate aftertaste.

I'll admit that as a huge fan of both wheatwines and white chocolate that I may be predisposed towards this but The Bruery has done a truly outstanding job here. Every aspect has been nailed. Hands down the best wheatwine I've had and definately in my top 3-5 beers. I'm super excited for the chance to buy more when they release it later this year.

3.06/5  rDev -26.3%

I got this beer at the Zeebra Extreme Beerfestival in Holland on may 4th 2013. Zeebra was held for the first time with lots of very very very great beers and i wished i could say 'like this one'. But this was a very disappointing beer.

Poured in a Zeebra glass, a small tasting glass. I expected much more quality when i look at the others in this family.

Almost no head and carbonation. The white chocolate was there but not the same as i got in the Chocolate Rain. Pity cause this beer could have been made much better. Glad to have it though because i love the other Bruery beers (exept the sour ones)...

4.3/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A: Decent clarity, apricot in color with a loose head that doesn't last long. Syrupy.

S: Wow, this really does smell like white chocolate. Vanilla beans, sweet oak, mineraly, prefumy, fruity, marzipan, flowers, coconut, honey. As a dessert beer this works very well, a lovely aroma.

T: Big wheaty malt, chantilly cream, white chocolate shavings. Again I am surprised at how much I like this beer.

M: Full bodied and sweet, though surprisingly easy to drink.

My respect to The Bruery for pulling this off. It really does smell like beautiful white chocolate.

4.12/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Bottle from trade. White wax top. Pours cloudy yellow-orange with a small head that dissapates quickly. Unique aroma of sour butter, bread dough, yeast, wheat, hints of spice, a bit of campfire. Low to medium carbonation. Flavor is astringent alcohol but not bad. White chocolate and citrus, maple syrup maybe, with an alcohol finish that stings. Almost like a white chocolate rum, but the citrus and syrup flavors balance this out. Medium to heavy syrup mouthfeel. Neat beer!

4.33/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I’ve had this beer quite a few times, both in bottle, and tap. Review is on a bottle roughly 1 year old. Did bottle share with friends and all agree it’s a fun beer to drink.

A- slight orangey/yellowish in color. Minial head retention.

S- From the get go one gets big smells of vanilla, oak, bourbon, with a little sweet pastry smell. If you’ve walked into a Cold Stone Creamery that intense sweetness hits you automatic vanilla with white chocolate.

T- Taste is complex and interesting with vanilla at the forefront, booze, than white chocolate. The abv hits you regardless of temp but opens up as temp increases flavors are more pronounce as well which is nice if your into vanilla and white chocolate.

M- mouth feel is smooth and somewhat on light viscous spectrum.

Overall, this is a good beer to have with friends and family. A sipper a little goes along way easily sharable with 4 to 6 people at 2 to 4oz pours. If you can trade for it do it. Glad I still have quite a few bottles left to enjoy in the coming years.

4.16/5  rDev +0.2%

pours a clear amber, slightly hazy, with almost no head. the nose is a white chocolatey marshmallow with some oak and chocolate. tasty beer with great chocolate and ghram cracker, bit of wheat. the mouthfeel is rich like a barleywine and drinkable. very sweet, but drinkable, a bit boozy. this is tasty, but not crazy unbelievable.

4.57/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Big thank you to ObeMaltKinobee for this big want!

Appearance. Pours a very hazy gold with a little amber and a finger of frothy, cream coloured head.

Smell. Grainy wheat malt and booze with a ton of sweet white chocolate. There's also a little bourbon and vanilla, maybe some caramel, but the combination really gives the impression of white chocolate. Very cool.

Taste. Grainy but smooth wheat malt, bourbon and vanilla ...then the chocolate kicks in. Smooth creamy white chocolate coats the mouth in the finsh. Very nice and not as sweet as I guessed it would be, a welcomed surprise.

Mouthfeel. On the lowest side of full bodied with low+ carbonation. Some boozy warmth but nothing offensive.

Overall. An impressive take on a wheatwine. Very creative and quite tasty without any excessive sweetness as mentioned. Very cool beer.

4.36/5  rDev +5.1%

Had an opportunity to try this at the Stone Oakquinox yesterday. It was so good I decided to open my bottle.

A - Lite butterscotch, murky as hell. Low head, leaves to ring. Some spotty stuff.

S - Named appropriately. White chocolate, I kid you not. Sugary, creamy and like dulce leche.

T - Taste just like smell. Very nice.

M - Medium body, good carb, nice balance.

D - Deceptively tasty for the ABV.

2.31/5  rDev -44.3%

Received a few of these from good trading partners over the last little while. Cheers for thinking of me fellas!

From a 750 into a snifter

APPEARANCE: Pours a thin, one finger, loose looking, white head with lousy retention. Fead dissipates quickly to a ring and a light, faint wisp. Hazy amber in color with high levels of carbonation. A half ring remains until the end but leaves no lacing down the glass. Color is fine, but the head could use some work.

SMELL: Toffee, caramel, vanilla and some nice bourbon notes on the nose. The combination definitely results in what could be interpreted as white chocolate, which is interesting. Some sweet cream and milk chocolate complete the package. Not sure if I like this, but it is definitely well executed.

TASTE: Some toffee, wheat flavors, bourbon and vanilla up front, with some oak, sweet cream and more bourbon barrel at the swallow. Not as bold as hoped, and artificial tasting as well. Doesn't quite live up to the nose at least. Some white chocolate flavor lingers after the swallow on top of a boozy and somewhat boring base beer. A milder and short-lived aftertaste is boozy with some bourbon and artificial white chocolate flavors. Flavor falls off quicker than expected. Not impressive at all.

PALATE: Lighter body and higher levels of carbonation. A little fizzy and airy on the palate, unfortunately, goes down rough and is harsh and abrasive at the swallow. Finishes quite sticky as well. Pretty tough going to say the least.

OVERALL: How does this get a 4.19 on this site? I understand that people like The Bruery's high abv booze bombs, and there are some good ones, but this is definitely bottom of the barrel in that department. While the nose showed some promise, this was artificial tasting, boozy, muted, and the feel was light and harsh, making it difficult to choke down my 6oz glass. Fruet was leagues better than this, proving that The Bruery can make high quality booze bombs. This was a complete disaster, however. Drain even had a tough time with this, and she's dealt with some doozies in the past. I'm glad you boys were thinking of me when this came out, so I greatly appreciate the bottles gents. Can't win 'em all.

4.32/5  rDev +4.1%

A - Pours a cloudy golden-orange with a thin finger of frothy white head. Fades very quickly.

S - Wheat, toasted coconut, oak, vanilla, Bourbon, cocoa nibs, which chocolate, booze.

T - Sweet wheat, toasted coconut, vanilla, oak, Bourbon, cocoa nibs, white chocolate, toffee, and booze.

M - Full bodied with moderate carbonation. Smooth with a sweet and warming finish.

D - Very bold, complex, and interesting. But also very well balanced.

3.88/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

A - cloudy off copper, no apparent carbonation or head.

S - soft white chocolate, cocoa, hints of grapefruit, and citrus.

T - citrus, white chocolate, kind of oaty tasting, some warmth, hops nonexistant.

M - very rich mouthfeel, malt domination, and warming body.

D - really good, excellent flavor for description of beer. A bit warming, but not bad for 14.5 percent. Recommend sitting on it for a year or two.

White Chocolate from The Bruery