Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

5 Golden Rings | The Bruery

5 Golden Rings5 Golden Rings
3.57/5
Good
5 Golden Rings5 Golden Rings

The Bruery
thebruery.com

Style: Belgian Strong Pale Ale

5 Golden Rings is the 5th verse in our ‘12 Days of Christmas’ winter seasonal ale series. The only golden ale in the bunch, we spiced up the natural pause in the classic song with cinnamon, allspice and ginger along with the delicious sweet and tangy flavor of pineapple. The resulting ale is a true holiday treat that can be enjoyed fresh or cellared until 2019, when 12 Drummers Drumming will be released.

Added by Halcyondays on 11-03-2012

2.52/5  rDev -29.4%

I keep giving The Bruery's beers a chance, and I continue to be disappointed. Beers brewed by reputable brewers in this style tend to be hard to screw up, so I'm hoping this is better than most of The Bruery's other offerings. Acquired at a local beer store for $10.99. I find their aging recommendations (up to seven years) suspect given the style; I see little need or benefit to age/aging a Belgian golden ale. 750ml brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap and a nicely designed label served into a New Belgium stem-goblet in me gaff in low altitude Los Feliz, Los Angeles, California. No visible best before/best after/bottled on date.

Served straight from the refrigerator and allowed to warm over the course of consumption. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

Not paired with food. My first and only beer review of the night.

Opened without issue; just a satisfying 'ksh' as the cap came off; no liquid upsurging or other problems.

A: Pours a two finger beige colour milky head of surprisingly nice milky cream, decent thickness, and good retention considering the high ABV. Lacing isn't real sticky or impressive, but it's decent. Body colour is a murky dull orange-copper. Nontransparent but non-opaque. No yeast particles are visible (at least not this high up in the pour). No bubble show. A predictable but generally pleasant appearance. There's noting special or unique about it, but the head does due nicely in terms of retention at this ABV; I'd say it lasted a good minute.

Sm: I get pineapple juice, a cidery mucky apple note, a hint of brett, caramel green apple spice, biscuit malt, rosemary, a bit of ginger, maybe grapefruit esters, and biscuity yeast. I'd say pineapple is dominant, but the spice is a runner-up. Not as fresh as you'd expect a pineapple aroma to be, but it never crosses the fermentation line into tepache-esque (if you'll excuse the pretension implicit in that phrasing). An average strength but interesting aroma. I don't know that I've ever experienced a Belgian golden ale aroma so littered with pineapple, but I'm not sure that's necessarily a good thing. Impressively, no alcohol is detectable in the aroma.

T: Dominant pineapple gives way to a spicy and biscuity body. Brett and a bit of green apple bit on the climax, followed by a torrent of pineapply sweetness - bleh on the finish. Too sweet. There's a hint of tartness buried in the bretty/somewhat lactic notes, which I like and want more of but it never comes. The early second act is a bit lacking in flavour, which compromises the structural balance. I don't get any boozy alcohol or heat; ABV is well hidden. The sticky sweetness is a turn-off though; I don't know that the pineapple focus is doing this beer (or this style) any favors. The spicing isn't all that original, nor is it all that evocative in the flavour. The spices get buried beneath the overbearing sweetness, destroying the beer's potential for subtlety as well as its balance. Where is the crystal malt foundation and delicate subtlety I expect in a good Belgian golden ale? It's sorely missed. Not as yeasty as I hoped; hints of biscuity yeast here and there but little spicy quality. Poorly layered. Hopping is floral but indistinct and adds little.

Mf: Smooth and wet. Sticky. Chewy. A bit overcarbonated. Too thick and filling for the style and lack of flavours. The texture is ill-matched to the flavours. Far too heavy on the palate. Again, crystal malt would give it the light tingly mouthfeel it needs (see Russian River Damnation for an excellent example of the proper way to do this style).

On the burp, I get that nasty pineapple sweetness. Blech.

Dr: I'll finish this bottle over the course of the next hour, but I'm not all that enthusiastic to do it. That said, it does hide its ABV quite well. I think it's getting a bit better as it warms slightly. Still, it's a subpar attempt at the style - and a pricey one at that. I wouldn't bother with this again, and I'd caution friends from picking it up. Another expensive major disappointment from The Bruery.

D+

2.69/5  rDev -24.6%

Pours a brilliantly gleaming gold with amazing clarity. A 3/4" top of virgin white head on it, really makes for one looker of a beer. Aroma was massively boozy. Like huge. Some spice accoutrement, nutmeg, ginger, coriander, clove.

Taste, egad man, did I just drink gasoline? This is the hottest beer I've ever drank from the Bruery, and I've had some of their 19.5% stuff. Difference here, there doesn't appear to be much in the way of malt heft into this one, it looks like it has a rather mellow and light body from the color. I really could not, no matter how much I tried, get into this beer to taste any secondary aspects of the beer, it was just fire in the mouth of an alcohol burn. If you restrain yourself, you can pick up light orange peel and sweet notes.

Of any of their beers meant to be drank years from now, this one really did leave the impression that I don't want to touch it for a long time. I'll adjust my score upon subsequent tastings, but the first one just came off as fire water and not much else.

2.71/5  rDev -24.1%

This pours as a decent golden color with a white head on top. The retention is thin, no lacing on this one. The smell of the beer is a little fruity, boozy and spicy. The taste of the beer is loaded with spice, very Christmassy, not really the greatest tasting beer in my opinion. The mouthfeel is medium bodied, decent carbonation and smooth drinkablity. Overall this beer isn't the greatest. I just wasn't impressed with some of the flavors it had. It's an ok beer but I just don't care for it.

2.71/5  rDev -24.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

I made a mistake by opening this for myself to finish. About 1/2 through.

Oops, this one must need 7 years for the independent flavors to meld. I am a dick about throwing stuff away; so I have to finish this one. Gha...

If there is pineapple juice in here, it must be the acid from it. I will need to take heartburn pills at 2am.

I am a fan of The Bruery. Not sure where they are going with this one. Perhaps in 7 years...

2.72/5  rDev -23.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Excited to try this because many of the other beers in this series have been really tasty.

Poured into a tulip glass.

Appearance - Pours a light orange/salmon color. The color is almost the same hue as a bottle of peanut oil but a little bit more pink. The pour starts with a fast foaming head which dissipates quickly.

Smell - Pineapple, nail polish remover, strong apple cider or some sort of high abv fermenting fruit liquor. The smell of this before the sip i know it is going to taste like its posted 11.5% abv.

Taste - Booze Booze Booze! After the taste of rubbing alcohol subsides i do taste the subtle farmhouse style ale which i correlate with golden belgians. The aftertaste is sweet where i can taste the pineapples but it has a crazy taste like windex or some sort of industrial cleaning solution flavor to it because of the booze flavor.

Mouthfeel - Low carbonation so it is quite easy to drink but at the same time it is hard because of how hot this bottle is.

Overall - Kinda disappointed after last years holiday styles from The Bruery have been amazing and wish they could have made this fifth one a little bit more palatable. After tasting this i tried hard not to pour this down the drain but after i was done with one cup of it i had to pour the rest down the drain. Maybe with age it will tame down this beast because i have had success with other beers i thought were to hot in the beginning like damnation 23.

5 Golden Rings from The Bruery