Collaboration Series: Ichigo Highway | The Bruery

Collaboration Series: Ichigo HighwayCollaboration Series: Ichigo Highway

The Bruery
thebruery.com

Style: American Wild Ale

Ichigo Highway is a collaborative beer that we created with Hangar 24 Brewing from Redlands, CA. The base style is a sessionable sour red ale that we aged in oak barrels along with a whopping amount of strawberries, most of which were picked from the fields besides Hangar 24's brewery. Aged for approximately 8 months, this beer has developed a pleasant funk and a delightful acidity that is balanced by the intensely sweet aroma and flavor of the strawberries as well as a unique dryness achieved by using a sake yeast along with our house strain along with souring bacteria.

Added by Halcyondays on 11-10-2012

I never tasted this one when it came out. I can imagine it was a whole different beer. And with the current rating, I have to believe it was not as good fresh. But with the few years it has on it when I am currently drinking it.....It is amazing. Great sour and a little funky barnyard to it. The strawberry is still there and goes great with the brew. If you somehow have a bottle of this still aging, you are stoked, cuz this one is going to blow your mind.

4.75/5  rDev +22.1%

4.75/5  rDev +22.1%

4.62/5  rDev +18.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: poured a reddish brown in color with pinkish highlights and a thin head that left a little bit of bubbly lacing sticking to the glass.

S: wow.. probably the most strawberry character I have ever sniffed out of a american wild fruit beer but also had a little citrus twang, acidic notes for sure, some oakiness and a little mild funkiness coming through as well; strawberry heaven.

T: The strawberry fruit character was also as intense on the palate as the nose suggested, alongside oaky accents, with a citrusy twang which added a deeper sour bite, some acidic notes and a touch of funk.

M: the brew was medium in body with a moderate amount of prickly carbonation which had a very fruity, mildly sweet, oaky, slightly funky, acid, sour and semi dry finish that lingered on the palate.

O: probably the best strawberry sour american wild beer I've had till this day, A must try IMO. I'll definitely have some more any day, I just hope the fruit character doesn't fade with time.

4.54/5  rDev +16.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.54/5  rDev +16.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.53/5  rDev +16.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.43/5  rDev +13.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a bruery tulip. Pours a nice reddish amber color with lacing that dissipates after a few minutes. The nose on this is a strawberry farm. Strawberry jam, slight band aidy and new plastic. Taste is extremely fruit forward with a nice acidity that doesn't make me feel like I need to hit the dentist next week. One of the softest, most subtle sours I've ever had. Complex yet everything seems in sync. I didn't like this beer when it first came out, but I've been holding onto it since its first release. This is hands down the best strawberry sour I've had. Beats cascade by a mile. The fruit, sour ale base and red wine barrels had melded nicely into a world class sour. Drink now if you have one, you'll thank me later.

4.42/5  rDev +13.6%

Pours red with a small bubbly pink head. A bit of lace down the glass.

Tons of strawberry in the aroma. A bit citrusy with some vinegar and oak as well, but smells more like strawberries than most beers I've ever had.

Strawberry impresses on the palate too. Most "strawberry" beers I've had before seem to have a hint of actual strawberry and an overall generic berry profile, but this one is strawberry all the way. Very oaky with a little lemon too. A bit of funk, but more lacto than brett. One friend felt some age would do it good to mute the oak a bit, but I liked it well fresh.

Medium bodied with prickly carbonation. Finishes oaky and dry.

One of my favorite sours the Bruery has done. I love the fresh strawberry flavor, but think a bit of time would round out the flavor profile even more. Now to find the sweet spot to drink my last 2 bottles before the strawberry drops off.

Collaboration Series: Ichigo Highway from The Bruery