Bois | The Bruery

BoisBois

The Bruery
thebruery.com

Style: Old Ale

The traditional fifth anniversary gift is something made of wood, or "Bois" in French.

Bois is our fifth anniversary ale, loosely brewed in the English-style Old Ale tradition using our house Belgian yeast strain and then blended using the solera method. A portion of each of our anniversary ales is saved in our barrels and blended in with the next year's production, providing more complexity and depth of character that comes with age. Layered with complex flavors of dark fruit,vanilla, oak, and burnt sugar, Bois is a robust ale, surely the perfect beer to mark this major milestone.

Added by OBeerMeGreatOne on 05-14-2013

Ratings: 1,333 |  Reviews: 154
3.75/5  rDev -13.4%

3.75/5  rDev -13.4%

3.68/5  rDev -15%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I been seeing these around Northern California so I thought it would give it a shot.
For one, this is a very expensive bottle, anywhere from $30-$40 a piece.

First impression was the overwhelming smell. Personally I thought it smelled a bit like fish sauce, if you guys know what I mean. The pour was very nice, great head! The first taste came a bit extra boozy, but its finished finished pretty smoothly. Definitely serve this in a sniffer . Overall, I thought it was a decent beer, but for the price I think there are much better ones other there.

3.24/5  rDev -25.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3

Given how expensive this beer is, I was very glad it was available for only $5 for a 4 ounce pour at PIB.

The beer pours a copper amber color with good head retention and lacing. The nose is impressive, as I pick up considerable dates, rum raisans, coconut, vanilla, pineapple, caramel and light chocolate. The beer smells as if it will be rich and sweet, but on the palate, I found this to be an absolute train wreck. Granted, the flavor profile replicates the nose for the most part, but this beer was so sweet and boozy, it was setting off my gag reflex. I've tried a number of these barrel aged nectar bombs in the past (Coton, 5 golden rings, cuir, etc.), but nothing really compares to this in terms of sweetness. Next to the word cloying in the dictionary, they should have a picture of this beer. Mouthfeel was full, with a long, sweet, soft boozy finish.

I thought it was tough to get through a bottle of Black Tuesday, but that beer is almost sessionable in comparison to this monstrousity. An interesting effort, but I think from now on I'm going to give these barrel aged old ales from Bruery a pass.

4.53/5  rDev +4.6%