Bois | The Bruery

BoisBois

The Bruery
thebruery.com

Style: Old Ale

The traditional fifth anniversary gift is something made of wood, or "Bois" in French.

Bois is our fifth anniversary ale, loosely brewed in the English-style Old Ale tradition using our house Belgian yeast strain and then blended using the solera method. A portion of each of our anniversary ales is saved in our barrels and blended in with the next year's production, providing more complexity and depth of character that comes with age. Layered with complex flavors of dark fruit,vanilla, oak, and burnt sugar, Bois is a robust ale, surely the perfect beer to mark this major milestone.

Added by OBeerMeGreatOne on 05-14-2013

Ratings: 1,329 |  Reviews: 151
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.77/5  rDev -12.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Slightly nervous about doing this, but I think my friend Adam wanted me to do this for him as he shared this with me tonight.
Both pours were in snifters.
The appearance was dark brown to black with a somewhat of a head that dies immediately.
The smell had a whole lot of oaky/cherry/brown sugar/raisens/figs/oak/bourbon/vanilla and ends up adding a decent dark roasted caramel close to the end of the warming period.
The taste was actually slightly boozy with a semi medium to heavy sort of body.
Sessionability, this one's got it.
On the palate, it sits about at a medium and I'm starting to feel the effects of the brew (is this perhaps because of the fact that I don't entirely know what I'm doing just yet)
Overall, hey, well, I like this one despite what anyone says about style and/or opinion of who makes this brew. Would I have this again? I'm pretty sure I would.

3.78/5  rDev -12.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.82/5  rDev -11.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

750ml waxed and capped bottle into a Brooklyn Brewery snifter. Shared with schen9303.

Pours a 2 finger frothy cream colored head with moderate retention. Beer is a dark, almost opaque brown. Lacing is thick but sticks close to the head. Oily legs. Real nice.

Nose is sweet booze. Molasses, brown sugar, caramel and oak. Deep and enticing.

Opens molasses, honey, dark plum and prunes. Brown sugar, leather and booze in the middle. Oak, caramel, toffee, and more molasses at the finish. Ends sweet and hot with a sweet, caramel and molasses aftertaste. Solid.

Full bodied with low carbonation. Slick and oily in the mouth and goes down hot and sticky. Finishes messy with a lingering aftertaste that coats the mouth. A touch thin.

Pretty par for the course for a Bruery Anniversary big. Big and bold with accented sweet flavors. Pretty straightforward but still enjoyable.

3.82/5  rDev -11.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

750ml bottle pours a clouded mahogany color with absolutely no head despite a vigourous pour. Some swirling releases a few large bubbles that collapse quick. The alcohol legs creep down the side of the glass.

The aroma is pungent of that typical bourbon tang coupled with residual sugary belgian candy. Faint hints of coconut, vanilla and oak all mingle together with a hint of caramel. No doubt the bourbon is center stage and the biggest attribute of the nose.

The taste continues with prominent notes of tangy bourbon. A slight fruity almost orange rind character before fading to a striking amount of oxidation. Some herbal bitterness is felt underneath the big boozy impact and sticky residual sugars.

This is a medium bodied brew with a light amount of carbonation. It tastes like it has been aged quite awhile. Perhaps the solera method is really starting to showcase the older aspects of the blend? It surely tasted oxidized moreso than I expected. Compared to the other barrel versions, this one is easily the most alcohol forward and hot. Not my least favorite but nowhere near as good as the whiskey and brandy version.

3.83/5  rDev -11.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.84/5  rDev -10.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

A: Pours a dark, rich brown/black with hints of ruby as light hits the edges. Minimal head that dissipates quickly.

S: Big caramel and toffee aroma. Lots of alcohol and sweetness. Hints of wood, leather and tobacco notes follow.

T: Wow, this is a big, boozy sweetness bomb. I guess I shouldn't be surprised with it coming from the Bruery. Lots of caramel notes, brown sugar, vanilla, and a punch of alcohol heat. Deep, complex leather and tobacco notes follow. Not bad, just way, way too sweet.

M: A bit thin, but creamy. Very hot. Nicely carbonated.

O: This is a big, complex beer. Decent, but it needs to sit a while. I'm looking forward to trying to try some of the other variants for sure.

3.85/5  rDev -10.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Dark caramel color and opaque. It has a viscous and flat appearance.

Huge boozy notes of bourbon... Oak, vanilla, caramel, toffee.

The cloying sweetness is just too much. It's boozy as hell, but I can appreciate that. Caramel, toffee, and vanilla with just a touch of dry wood.

Mouthfeel is syrupy and sugary sweet. Very thick.

This was just way too sweet for my liking. The flavor profile was nice, but fighting through even as pint was a chore. That, combined with the price point, makes me suggest pass on it.

3.87/5  rDev -10.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

3.88/5  rDev -10%

3.88/5  rDev -10%

On tap at Hops and Pie. Nice orange color, small head at first, then it's gone. Aroma is a bit if booze. Flavor is a delicious bourbon barrel barley wine, rich, great bourbon flavors, sweet but then it gets a little too sugary. This was really tasty but it's so sweet and so strong that I can't imagine drinking a whole glass of this.

3.89/5  rDev -9.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

A: Pours a nice mahogany with a decent sized but fizzy light light brown head. Head fizzes away fast, almost soda-like. Decent retention but zero lacing.

S: Huge, huge, huge sickly sweet caramel. Toffee and boozy raisins. Sharp, stinging alcohol when swirled. Basically a bourbon and sherry combo at first glance.

T: Super sweet caramel and toffee up front. I can't overstate how sweet this is. I have had some seriously sweet beers in my day, I can practically mainline creme brulee but this is over the top. It's like caramel syrup with some toffee and molasses. Heavy, heavy on the rum soaked raisins. Burnt sugars in there too. In the finish, very drying oak and alcohol in the aftertaste sucks all of the moisture out of your mouth.

M: Heavy, heavy, cloyingly sweet and syrupy.

O: I've had Cuir, Fruet and now Bois. I loved the first two but this one just isn't hitting me right. I just re-read my review on Fruet and I mentioned at how well the 15% ABV was hidden. This beer is the opposite, it's a booze bomb. It's honestly hard to drink, a sipper for sure. It's still good, don't get me wrong, it's just that the booze and the sweetness overpowers everything in this beer. I might not be in the right mood for this one tonight, that's all I can think. Luckily I have a bottle of the rye version of this to try another day, maybe I will be ready for that one.

Bois from The Bruery