Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Bois | The Bruery

BoisBois
4.33/5
Outstanding
BoisBois

The Bruery
thebruery.com

Style: Old Ale

The traditional fifth anniversary gift is something made of wood, or "Bois" in French.

Bois is our fifth anniversary ale, loosely brewed in the English-style Old Ale tradition using our house Belgian yeast strain and then blended using the solera method. A portion of each of our anniversary ales is saved in our barrels and blended in with the next year's production, providing more complexity and depth of character that comes with age. Layered with complex flavors of dark fruit,vanilla, oak, and burnt sugar, Bois is a robust ale, surely the perfect beer to mark this major milestone.

Added by OBeerMeGreatOne on 05-14-2013

Ratings: 1,335 |  Reviews: 154

3.51/5  rDev -18.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks cw577enfield!

Dark swampy brown body capped with a thick, dense layer of khaki carbonation. Plenty of booze legging.

Certainly smells sweet. Caramel/toffee, powdery cocoa, molasses, mushy fruit, maple, bourbon heat... complex. Big.

God that is a big fucking beer. It's muted at first but after a second or two on the palate I'm overwhelmed with massive bourbon sweetness and intense red fruits, almost tart in some ways... papery tobacco flavor at the tip of the tongue. It finishes out sticky and sweet with a lingering burn in the back of my mouth. Kind of a mess, to be honest.

I took down BT and M3 solo, so I thought this wouldn't be an issue. But... alas. This might take a while.

3.52/5  rDev -18.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.58/5  rDev -17.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle: Poured a dark cloudy brown color ale with a large brown foamy head with OK retention and minimal lacing. Aroma of residual sugar with some deep caramelized notes is intriguing. Taste is a nice mix of strong caramelized malt notes with some heavy residual sugar notes and light bourbon notes are also noticeable. Body is full with limited filtration and good carbonation with no real apparent alcohol notes. There was light oxidation notes which I didn’t really cared for and the sugar is somewhat too upfront and hides other flavours.

3.59/5  rDev -17.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

This beer gave me diabetes.

3.63/5  rDev -16.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Little head, doesn't last. Fantastic smell. Unique taste. The more I drink, the less I like unfortunately.

3.68/5  rDev -15%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I been seeing these around Northern California so I thought it would give it a shot.
For one, this is a very expensive bottle, anywhere from $30-$40 a piece.

First impression was the overwhelming smell. Personally I thought it smelled a bit like fish sauce, if you guys know what I mean. The pour was very nice, great head! The first taste came a bit extra boozy, but its finished finished pretty smoothly. Definitely serve this in a sniffer . Overall, I thought it was a decent beer, but for the price I think there are much better ones other there.

Bois from The Bruery