Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Batch #1000: Bryeian | The Bruery

Batch #1000: BryeianBatch #1000: Bryeian
3.82/5
Very Good
Batch #1000: BryeianBatch #1000: Bryeian

The Bruery
thebruery.com

Style: American Black Ale

Join us in excitement as we release the winning brew from our Batch #1000 homebrew contest - Bryeian! Hard to believe that we've brewed 1,000+ batches of beer and for those who have been with us throughout the years, probably surprising to see that the winner is a hoppy ale! A cascadian, dark rye ale to be exact. Brian Pramov and Bryan Keas, a pair of homebrewers from Denver put together this winning recipe for us and it shined brightly in our competition. The roast of the dark malts, the spice of the rye and the intense hop character combine for a fantastic experience.

Added by mhaugo on 08-14-2013

3.94/5  rDev +3.1%

A - Pitch black pour with a toffee colored creamy looking head.

S - Light maple, chocolate, cream, spice.

T - Roasted chocolate, smoke, very resiny orange and tangerine, and a lingering citrus/chocolate.

M - Medium velvet-like body, somewhat creamy, slightly lip smacking sticky.

O - This is a really easy drinking beer, even with age on it.

3.83/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.73/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.46/5  rDev -9.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.72/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A - Pours a black body, like coffee, with a fluffy light tan two finger head. Great retention to the head and lacing on the glass.

S - Big rye and roasted malt nose. Even after a few years, still a great hop presence on the nose.

T - The taste follows the nose, except there is little hop bite. A bit disappointing, but given the age I expected it.

F - Medium bodied and low carbonation. Really a watery mouthfeel, which is surprising given the plethora of carbonation on the head.

O - I never had this when it was fresh, but I could only assume it has fallen off some. Still solid, from an older black IPA perspective.

4.08/5  rDev +6.8%

If you're into Black IPA's pick this up. Tons of Rye and the hops stand up to it nicely. Darker than I anticipated.. I would like to try this again in a tasting setting... it was pretty late when we cracked this.

4.48/5  rDev +17.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I'm bummed that I only purchased one bottle of this elixir. Wow!

I was surprised at the flavors and complexity of this brew. I'm normally not a Black IPA/Rye beer drinker, but this bottle pleased from the first touch on my palate, until it settled into my gullet.

If you can find a bottle, I highly recommend it!

3.7/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.63/5  rDev -5%

4.18/5  rDev +9.4%

4.37/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.87/5  rDev +27.5%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I'm a big fan of this beer, The Bruery always gets it right

3.29/5  rDev -13.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.87/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

In my opinion, more of a Belgian IPA type of beer than anything else. True to the advice on the bottle, this is definitely one of the hoppier beers from the Bruery but excellent nonetheless.

It looks like something a cross between a black IPA and a double, with a good amount of head foaming on each pour into my snifter.
The overall smell is that of hops with some sugary notes.
Starts out like a nice Belgian before a strong hop presence overtakes the sip. I get some intense Belgian Dubbel tendencies before this careens back towards it's hoppy nature. I found this to be more a slow sipper than usual. Thought some of the black ale characteristics could be confused for extra body given the effervescent mouth feel.

Also would call a bitter Belgian. Enjoyable to drink but I don't think I need many of these.

3.8/5  rDev -0.5%

3.75/5  rDev -1.8%

3.5/5  rDev -8.4%

3.75/5  rDev -1.8%

3.84/5  rDev +0.5%

3.8/5  rDev -0.5%

One of the many bottles I lugged back from CA during my multiple work trips in August & September. At one point I looked in my hotel fridge & saw 12 beers. WTF? 750ML bottle split with my wife after the Replacements concert.

The pour is dark & with enough carbonation for a beer six times its size. Nose is a quick jab of pine melded to dark roast; no rye apparent. An odd, but appealing, opening nasal experience.

Bryeian is an odd piece of brewing. What jumps off the canvas is the mouthfeel, which is deliciously thick for a ‘black ale’, more like a higher ABV stout than, well, whatever the hell this ‘style’ of beer is about. The rye comes out nicely, with a shot of spice that builds as the beer warms, with minimal dirtiness. Sticky pine comes on strong, & the roast is subdued enough not to clash too brightly. Could drink mindlessly or mindfully.

A very good beer, especially after it warms up a bit. The addition of the rye causes it to avoid the usual unpleasant flavor clash of hop/roast of the style. Nice.

4.75/5  rDev +24.3%