Hat Trick Hop IPA | Tamarack Brewing Company

70 IBU's

Added by Brandt on 11-17-2009

10%

3.79/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.03/5  rDev +0.8%

20oz pint, on tap at the lovely brewhouse, just off the highway through Lakeside, MT. 6.9% ABV and 65 IBUs, with the aroma of some rather pleasant pub grub wafting past us as we maintain our lonely station at the bar. I've potted my share of hat-tricks in my former hockey life - will this conform?

This beer appears a somewhat murky medium copper amber hue, with one finger of tightly foamy and creamy ecru head, which leaves some rather complex, spaced layers of webbed lace around the glass as the draining of the glass goes on, and on, and on.

It smells of peppy and pungent grapefruit citrus flesh, bready caramel malt, fairly acrid pine resin, an indeterminate spiciness, and more leafy, earthy hops. The taste is bitter grapefruit rind, sweet orange flesh, gritty pale and bready caramel malt, and a dwindling metallic stoniness.

The carbonation is on the lower side, just a pleasant frothy notion, mostly, the body smooth, and a heady medium weight, with an airy creaminess sort of forcing itself upon my palate as things get along. It finishes with a pleasantly clean west coast citrus and pine hoppiness, the metallic flintiness really the only other player at this point in time.

A patently wonderful IPA, all around - location, taste, and personality - Tamarack definitely has it going on. I would very much like to see this offering made more generally available - especially back north of the 49th, eh, Lanny?

3.75/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

4.25/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.5/5  rDev -12.5%

3.55/5  rDev -11.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from 16oz tall can into a pint glass.

Appearance: dark orange hue with plenty of haze and a strong effervescence. Head is three fingers of frothy ivory foam with an orange cast. This beer looks like it means business.

Smell: sweet, malty aroma with a fair dose of hops that are earthy, herbal, floral and perhaps a bit resiny. Not too bad, but it's a bit tilted toward the malty side for me.

Taste: malty with a big caramel character; hops are earthy and herbal and bitterness is relatively strong. For me, though, this beer's hop character is not as forward as it could be. So, decent, but not outstanding.

Mouthfeel: medium body with a decent carbonation. Not really creamy, but interesting enough.

Overall: this is a great-looking beer, but that's where it's greatness ends. Not a bad beer, but not outstanding.

4.14/5  rDev +3.5%

4.15/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.87/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

3.87/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.2/5  rDev +5%

On tap at North Taphouse in Chestermere, Alberta.

A very orange - amber colour with short, white head. Foam faded to a thin ring, but lasted through the entire pint, thinnest strings of lacing.
Smell is all hops, just what I was hoping for from an American IPA. Piney, citrus, grapefruit.
Taste has a hoppy, citrus start, add some more leafy, resinous pine. Some caramel malt sweetness balances, Then clean, bitterness at the end, not too oily. No alcohol hotness.
Medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Slightly creamy body.
Overall, a great beer from Tamarack. I have seen their beers listed at other locations, and although this was the first, certainly won't be my last.
Now...to plan a trip to the Brewhouse to try it fresh!

Have now also sampled the canned version in a 500 ml tall boy. Delicious on a warm day

3.61/5  rDev -9.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

16oz tallboy can purchased somewhere in Missoula by a friend and beer mule who decided I needed it along with the 6-pk of Tumbleweed I had charged her with obtaining for me. No date on the can, which does include boilerplate on how this is called Hat Trick because it was brewed with 3 types of hops (but not naming them), has 70 IBUs, and is 7% abv. This is apparently brewed at Lakeside, a small town on the northwest shore of Montana’s Flathead Lake. My grandmother was born nearby, and lived an itinerant life with her sister, mother and grandmother in that part of Montana until she got married, so I can’t help but wonder if at some point she lived in Lakeside.

Poured into a large Boston Lager glass, this was a hazy dark amber color, taking on a bright copper color when held up to light. There was a big, creamy and rocky-looking beige head that hung around for some time and left lots of lace on the sides of the glass.

Piney and grapefruity hop aroma. There’s a little bit of bready, malt sweetness that increases as the beer warms, but it’s the hops’ show.

The hoppiness noted above is in the taste as well, but it’s at a rather low amplitude. Since there’s no date, I’m assuming the cause is hop fade due to age. Decent, malty backbone, with a dry zap to the palate at the finish.

Medium bodied, with a slightly oily mouthfeel.

Since this was my only can, and it isn’t distributed in my area, I might not get another chance at this beer, which is a shame as it seemed to offer a good flavor, but at too low a level to get much enjoyment. Since I suspect it was past it’s prime, I will try it again if I see it and can verify it’s fresh, but otherwise I’m not sure I’d go back to it. Still grateful to have gotten a chance to try it, though!

3.75/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.78/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

4.32/5  rDev +8%

On tap at National.

Appearance- Pours an amber colour with a finger width of bubbly head.

Smell- Piney hops, caramalts, citrus, grapefruit.

Taste- Starts with a pungent fist of piney hops followed by the caramalts, citrus and grapefruit. The beer finishes with a pleasant bitterness.

Mouthfeel- Medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Has a pleasant creaminess to the body.

Overall- A stellar American IPA by Tamarack. This is my kind of IPA with solid bitter hops and balancing caramalts. A true hop bomb for those hop-heads out there. I'm hoping this will be bottled in the future.

3.83/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Pours up dark orange deepening to brown, about one finger of light caramel head. Aroma is classic IPA, some toffee malt with citrus and pine. Taste is that of a high magnitude hop bomb, orange marmalade, some grapefruit, a healthy dose of pine that persists like a menthol eucalyptus cough candy but less cooling. The sweet malt is there too but the hops both lead and follow. Is there Simcoe in here? Super coniferous tree bitter leaf that does not let up. Other IPAs are more balanced but I like this enough if I need a hop blast. No tropical fruit or berry flavors. I think I am getting a hint of apple maybe. Body is a bit thin and there is little texture in the finish. Happened to find this at a Calgary pub but I suspect its a bit hard to find. Reminds me of a Lagunitas hop bomb but without the bells and whistles.

Hat Trick Hop IPA from Tamarack Brewing Company