Yard Sale Ale | Tamarack Brewing Company

Style: American Amber / Red Ale

Added by biboergosum on 08-02-2010

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
3.68/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.52/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.78/5  rDev +3%
look: 5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.5/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

4.09/5  rDev +11.4%

3.75/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.53/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

I've enjoyed Yard Sale in several different settings and offerings - fresh at the pub, growler, tall boy cans. It is very consistent - nicely coloured with a bit of off white, foamy head. The flavour is typical for the style - caramel malt, a hint of caramilk, lightly hopped. Knowing the place it is brewed helps add to the ski themed ambience, which always improves the feel of a beer for me.

4.25/5  rDev +15.8%

3.25/5  rDev -11.4%

3.25/5  rDev -11.4%

3.78/5  rDev +3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Poured from a pint can into a shaker. A moderate pour produces about one inch of creamy, frothy tan colored head which hangs around nicely. The beer is a medium dark yellowish brown with about average carbonation.

The nose is sweet malt with just a kiss of hops. The first sip was a bit of a flavor sensation- lots of fruitiness with a light tang on the tongue and sweet malt. I also detect a bit of chocolate and caramel, and some actually quite distinct bread/biscuit flavors. I might be getting just a little bit of milk parlor funk, or maybe just a generalized brewery taste/smell that you don't normally get in a can or bottle. Hop bitterness is subdued but lingering in the aftertaste on the back of the tongue.

This is a nice beer. I think I paid close to 9 bucks for a four pack of pints, but it was worth the expense. I especially like that it comes in cans, which makes it easier to take camping or rafting. I also can't remember a beer can that was as interesting and informative as this one, with semi tongue-in-cheek directions on how to enjoy the beer and recycle the can. I tried to visit a satellite establishment of this brewery in Missoula, but it was so busy on a Friday night that we just didn't have much of a chance to get served- a very popular place, indeed.

3.35/5  rDev -8.7%

Basic amber ale that you can find anywhere.

Caramel in color, a thin head and a aroma of sweet malt very tame. It really doesn't have much to offer besides being very fresh out of the brewery.

All in all I will continue to drink it but not my first choice for a good selection.

3.97/5  rDev +8.2%

On-tap at Hop-In Brew (November 2012)

I originally asked for a sample taster of this, fully intending to go for a full pint of Hat-trick (another Tamarack brew) but the sample changed my mind.

Nice appearance, a fair bit of tight head.
Smelled hoppy/ citrus-y, which surprised me.
I was expecting something sweet but, instead, got grains and hops and a hint of malty sweetness at the end. Very nice!
I hadn't checked on the ABV when I got my sample but I could tell there was some kick to this brew once it was in my mouth.

A very nice interpretation of a red ale- I hesitate to call it an amber ale, as the pub did.
Definitely worth having more than one of these.

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast