S1nist0r Black Ale | 10 Barrel Brewing Co.

good
S1nist0r Black AleS1nist0r Black Ale

10 Barrel Brewing Co.
Oregon, United States
10barrel.com

Style: Schwarzbier

We craft our S1NIST0R Black Ale using a special German dehusked black malt that is free of astringency, giving the beer a rich black color without the traditional dark beer characteristics. You will notice subtle hints of chocolate with an easy drinking balance on the back end. In the glass the dark color may look intimidating to some, but don't let this beer fool you. Our unique combination of malts creates a very light body and smooth finish.

Added by RedDiamond on 10-21-2008

3.42/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

3.7/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a dark brown, almost black, with little to no head. A film of bubbles resides on the top with a ring. Decent.

Smell is of, well a slight roastiness, coffee, maybe some dark sweet fruit. Kind of like cola really.

Taste is very relaxed for a dark beer. This one doesn't jump out at you at all, it's subtle.
I like this a lot, although I was hoping for more hops. I didn't expect a bomb of a beer such as Lagunitas nighttime, since this was only 5.7% I can see the appeal in this beer as its velvety and roasty in such a quaint manner, that you forget your drinking a black ale at all.

Mouthfeel is about average. Kind of slick, but finishes dry as far as I can tell. Medium carb.

Overall this is not something I would buy over and over, but its a nice beer to sip while maybe smoking some nice herb (I'm in OR its legal). A decent brew that would please a newcomer to craft brews.

3.17/5  rDev -11.7%

I was expecting an aggressive Black Ale... so that didn't work out for me lol. This was like a sheep in wolves clothing to me. Intimidating exterior, but tame and mild in reality. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't what I was looking for either.

3.82/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Appearance - Pours black with cola brown edging. The head is khaki colored and peaks at just under a finger's width. Retention is average at best, giving way to a broken layer of surface suds. Lacing is small and spotty with little stick.

Smell - Light notes of roasted malt and some cola-like sweetness. Hints of milk chocolate.

Taste - Follows the nose. General malt sweetness with hints of cola, chocolate, and very light coffee roast. Subtle notes of fruity esters and maybe even a hint of vanilla and anise in there. A light, 'brightly dark' flavor profile, if that makes any sense.

Mouthfeel - Light to medium body with moderate carbonation. Lightly silky texture, delivering a smooth, easy drinking experience.

Overall - Pretty good black lager / scharzbier, especially condsidering the style. It's a difficult style to pull off, IMO, because it doesn't quite excel in any particular area. This one has some uniqueness, and it's undoubtedly due to the ale yeast used. Don't go out of your way for it, but definitely something to try if readily available.

3.91/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.47/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.11/5  rDev -13.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

4.28/5  rDev +19.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.84/5  rDev +7%

4.25/5  rDev +18.4%

3.25/5  rDev -9.5%

3.9/5  rDev +8.6%

3.76/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Body looks like coca cola: not quite as thick or as deep as is my ideal (hey - sometimes a cigar is just a cigar. Leave it alone). Gets a deep mahogany/ruby towards the corners. Pillowy dark tan head sticks around leaving great remembrances of its passing.

Aroma is mainly what you'd expect: roasty bordering on burnt, maybe a touch of ash, leading into a bit of acerbic finish. I almost get a touch of vinegar, that I'm hoping is more related to the recently washed windows than the beer,a but I"m not convinced.

Given my impressions of the nose, it's surprisingly smoothe and light once it hits your tongue. Comes on easy with a creamy (both in feel and flavour) approach that toys with the idea of going bitter about halfway through, teasing the tastebuds (had to put the alliteration in there somewhere...), but never fully commits, sticking more towards lighter roasty notes and that impressively smoothe soft body. Not as thin as I expected either, more just lusciously soft but still thick, like a body pillow. It still stays with the roasted grains as promised, but the ashy bitter note is much more subdued on the palate than on the nose (though it still comes through in a pleasantly surprising bitter/dry finish that lingers.

I wasn't sure what to expect approaching this one, and I clearly didn't read the description on the bottle which clearly identifies it as being a modified schwarzbier as opposed to the CDA I was anticipating. This is not a bad thing: far from it. While I don't have a ton of experience with schwarzbiers and they're not my favourite style (especially in the dark category), this one is enjoyable. I was wary as I began my decent into it, but by the finish it demonstrated something I didn't even know I was looking for. Tasty. Try it.

4.5/5  rDev +25.3%

3.25/5  rDev -9.5%

S1nist0r Black Ale from 10 Barrel Brewing Co.