Apocalypse IPA | 10 Barrel Brewing Co.

Apocalypse IPAApocalypse IPA

10 Barrel Brewing Co.
Oregon, United States
10barrel.com

Style: American IPA

A Northwest American-Style IPA. The color comes through as a deep gold with orange hues. Fruity and citrusy hop aroma shines, with hints of pine resin. The four hop flavor dominates, re-enforcing the aroma with more citrus, fruity and piney notes. The malt character is clean and smooth with a unique toasted flavor (thanks to the generous helping of Victory malt), all held together by a firm bitterness. Apocalypse has a medium-bodied mouth feel, finishing crisp and dry. All of this results in a very drinkable IPA.

Added by Patrick on 10-31-2009

Reviews: 143 | Ratings: 746
3.9/5  rDev +0.8%

22oz, no date but certainly fresh
Unmarked Riedel tulip

A: Nice color, clear bright orange. Two fingers bright white head. Good carbonation. Sticky lacing.

S: Nics bouquet on this: citrus, over ripe peach, mango, etc. big fruit. Light malt.

T: Very nice beer. Upfront bitterness, not totally agressive. Really just a balanced brew. Great hop character: sweet fruit and some light pine. The malt bill marries great here. It's near perfect balance to me....but I could be wrong. Finish is great. Almost empty.

M: Light medium.

4.27/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours a light gold with a one-finger head into my glass. Lacing on the edges. Nice colors overall.

Jimmy said so, eh? Well, he didn't tell us what kind of hops were used. I'm guessing they're of the NZ type. Citrus mango tango?

Flavor confirms the aroma. It's not your usual pine/grapefruit affair. Refreshing. Not much dough.

Lingering dough and citrus notes make up this ale. At 6.8%, it drinks like something much lower in ABV.

I think I'm falling in love with Oregon and its' marvelous beers. I give 10 Barrel mad props for putting out such an enjoyable IPA.

4.05/5  rDev +4.7%

22 oz. Bottle purchased @ Chuck's 85th Hop Shop, Ballard, Seattle for $4.59 + Tax. No sediment. Thin light lace bright white wispy head. Clear bright thin pale gold color. Big aromatic citrus hop front. Dry sweet light textured crisp tangy grapefruit citrus hint of grassy pine burpy hop mild malt body. Very aromatic. Very mild hop spice clean dry citrus end. Herbal floral easy o drink hoppy balanced mild malt IPA. (4.25 / 5.0)

4.37/5  rDev +12.9%

Served on tap into a shaker glass at Tracktown Pizza

A- Poured a clear copper color with visible carbonation and big bubbly head that left chunky lace

S- Big pungent grapefruit, pine, sweet tropical fruit pineapple, and some sweet malts. Very aromatic

T- Big pungent grapefruit, sweet tropical fruit, pine, and light pineapple hops. Some sweet malt backbone.

M- Dry, refreshing, pretty high carbonation, effervescent

O- A damn good IPA with great hop flavors and aroma.

3.67/5  rDev -5.2%

Smell is grassy, hoppy, of course.

Taste is grassy, hoppy, with nutty after taste.

Crisp feel.

Nice solid head that maintains. Residual lacing.

Slight cloudyness, golden color.

Found at a safeway southeast of portland. Picked this up with a Hopworks IPA, yet to rate that one...

6.8% seems decently high for an IPA.

This is ok. The grassyness is a little much and there's a slight bitter late-aftertaste. Still doesn't beat my current IPA, which's the one made by Full Sail.

4.08/5  rDev +5.4%

Apocalypse IPA pours a hazy straw color with a really nice head. The aroma is citrus and herbal hops and just a hint of light malt. There is a nice balance of citrusy hops and light, sweet malt. The finish retains the balance, with a nice resiny character. Overall a really nice IPA.

4.04/5  rDev +4.4%

Thanks to pkasten for this extra in a trade! Had this one on 10/16/12

Looks good, not too different from a typical IPA look. Hazy light orange, head dissipates some what quickly but leaves some nice lacing along the glass.

Smell is great! In your face fruity hop smell. Pineapple and orange really take over the smell but grapefruit is also present. Definitely the high point of this beer.

Taste is solid. Very good but nothing mind blowing. Not extremely flavorful which was a slight let down and not what I expected after enjoying the smell so much. Good balance of piney and citrusy hops. Good bitterness as well.

Mouthfeel is very nice but a bit to carbonated in my opinion. Bitterness hits the palate nicely. A fuller bodied ipa which is always nice.

Overall this is a very solid IPA. Very drinkable and would not shy away from buying more if it were available in my area.

3.87/5  rDev 0%

Appearance: orange and slightly hazy. Thin head with thin lacing.

Smell: slightly sweet. Caramel. Hops are sweet fruit.

Taste: hop bomb. Bittered with pine.

Mouthfeel: balanced between sweet and dry. Medium carbonation. Medium body. Think Jenny McCarthy.

Overall: pretty good. Not my favorite IPA. The bittering hops take away from the rest of the beer. Strong bittering that lingers.

3.08/5  rDev -20.4%

NOt a bad beer overall. The appearance is as expected for an IPA. Rusty gold color and an adequate head. Smell hints at hoppy goodness. Taste is a little bit of a let down. Mouthfeel is good. A decent beer but not a beer I will be driving to Oregon for tooo often.

4.12/5  rDev +6.5%

22 oz bottle poured into regular pint glass.

A- Poured a deep hazy golden with very little head and no lacing.

S- Smell is superb. Big citrusy hops explode in your nostrils.

T- Taste doesn't quite follow the awesome nose but certainly does not disappoint. Big citrusy flavor and sweet malt backbone.

M- Nice amount of carbonation, yet a bit lacking in body.

O- This is a very solid NW IPA. Very enjoyable and one that I would seek out again.

3.92/5  rDev +1.3%

On tap at the brewpub

A - golden with hints of orange. Looks like a light pale ale. No lacing to speak of and not much head.

S - citrus mostly orange.

T - good bordering on better. Good aroma hop taste. Probably not as bitter as it could be but solid taste. Curiously, I like it and cannot figure out why.

M - maybe a little thin. Which explains the lack of head retention and lacing.

O - a good solid IPA. Not an award winner. But I would do it again.

3.83/5  rDev -1%

poured from tap into a pint glass. pours a good orange/gold color with a nice foamy head.

Lacking some depth but with good aromas of hops, citrus, and oranges.

Medium/full feel with really good notes of navel oranges and hops. Lacking a slight bit on the feel and it is kinda clipped.

A solid IPA. Hop forward for both the aromas and flavors.

4.16/5  rDev +7.5%

22oz into Ommegang Anniversary glass.

Thanks to JohnGalt1 for 4 bombers from 10 Barrel as extras in our last trade!

The aroma out of the bottle is f#$%ing perfect. Big, a rainbow of citrus aromas from ripe grapefruit to lemon pith. The in glass aroma fades quickly blending nicely with the cut grass laying in my yard.

Little lacing and no active carb dropped the look score, but the color is nice, lightly rounded amber.

Good taste. Like the aroma out of the bottle, the taste seems to fade to one note quickly, but the opening salvo is tops. Sweet and bitter with a very earthy finish.

Mouthfeel is a little light, not oily like with some resinous IPAs.

It's solid+ without being outstanding in any one area - the 5 in aroma not withstanding.

(180th/1st since The Crash)

4.33/5  rDev +11.9%

Appearance- Burnt orange color with a strong off white head. Lots of lacing left behind. 4.5/5

Smell- Earthy and grassy aroma. Some sweet citrus in the background. 4/5

Taste- Sweet orange. The big, grassy bitterness comes out in the end. There is some sweetness but it doesn't overpower the hops. 4.5/5

Mouthfeel- This a little thick for my taste, but it is a really good IPA so I don't mind. 4/5

Overall- I remember this being a little ho-hum the last time I had it. I had heard that the brewery  redid the recipe and I grabbed a six pack. Much better than what I remember. The price is a little high at $10+. 4.5/5

3.67/5  rDev -5.2%

Thanks to DrAwkward82 for sharing this one at jmgrub’s tasting.

Pours a murky honey orange with a foamy orange-tan head that settles to a film on top of the beer. Small dots of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is of citrus fruit and citrus zest. Taste is of citrus zest, herbal hops, and some earthy flavors. There is a medium amount of bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a good level of carbonation with a crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a pretty good beer with a better smell than taste in my opinion.

4.11/5  rDev +6.2%

Golden almost copper color, slight haziness, one finger of head that quickly subsides

Tangerine and pine aroma, with touch of caramel.

Tart citrus up front, fading into pine flavors, backed up by a touch of sweetness and lightly toasty. Assertive bitterness that does not overstay its welcome. The lingering flavors are pine and floral notes.

Medium thin body, low carbonation for style, but enough to bring out the more subtle flavors.

Overall I think this is an excellent example of a PNW IPA. Could use more hop aroma, and a touch more carbonation, but overall this is a thoroughly enjoyable beer that I will enjoy again and again.

3.63/5  rDev -6.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

22oz bomber poured into a Sam Adams Perfect Pint. 10 Barrel hasn't been in the market too long, so while this bottle isn't dated for freshness I'm assuming its not more than 1-2 months old.

A: Pours a brilliant clear deep gold, with a white head that leaves behind a little lace.

S: Interesting profile, though nothing *pops* or is as prominent as I would like in an IPA...there is tropical fruit, caramel, overripe mango, touch of honey.

T & MF: Really follows the nose, no surprises here...balanced, smooth and creamy, maybe even a faint hint of alcohol? Muted tropical fruits, mango, banana, bready caramel but not too sweet, a dab of honey, some good dryness on the back end. Lighter, crisp body.

O: Overall I really wanted more from this brew. Their ISA impressed me more. This has some of the same characteristics as Hopslam (which you think would be awesome), but they're very muted. This is balanced in once sense but the hops seem muted. Maybe this batch/bottle is older than I thought...

4.07/5  rDev +5.2%

Picked up last night at the COOP.... poured into my little CC goblet.. the brew is slightly hop hazed orange.. only okay retention with a good head.

Nose is good citrus zest... slight caramel malt.. maybe some pine in there.

Pithy citrus... tangerine? and some piney hops... sorta oily and yummy... a touch too much malt for my liking, but it is a minor bitch..

Nicely balanced PNW IPA... I dig it overall, but it could stand to be a touch drier on the palate.

3.5/4/4/4/4.5

4.42/5  rDev +14.2%

OK...before I go into why I rated this so high let me digress. I am skeptical of IPA's that are 6.5%..it seems generic...I tend to like 6.9 or above...don't ask me why but this description will contain info that will explain this.

Got a bottle at my local grocery store to give it a try...ya that sounds lame but it was for $3.79.

Poured into my glass it was a dark, filtered orange...looks like a really nice IPA. Sticky white head and bubbles sticking to the glass.

The smell was really ripe with that hoppy citrus and a touch of pine like many nw IPAs. It also has that biscuit tone that I like from the malts.

The taste is where this one takes control. The 6.5% tastes more like 7.5%. Not in booze but in bitterness. Very bitter and not watered down or tame like some in this category. With the bitterness was the citrusy sweet flavors I savor in an IPA. Really surprised for such a cheap IPA. Impressive.

The mouthfeel was sticky...just like the lacing on the bottle. the flavors linger and the carbonation is not too high and it cleans the palate for more.

Overall, this was one of the best IPAs I have had in a long way. It was very balanced, not too hoppy but the bitterness was high. The malt backbone is there to balance it out. These guys know what they are doing and the name of the beer is in no way an over exageration.

3.5/5  rDev -9.6%

Hazy golden colour with a fluffy, white head. Fair head retention.

Resinous piney hops with some grassy notes. A hint of caramel malt too. Good.

Slightly malty flavour with resinous, piney hops. Fine but it could be brighter.

Medium body with moderate carbonation. Fine.

A decent if unexceptional IPA. Reasonable hop character but nothing more.

3.13/5  rDev -19.1%

Tried this beer at 10 Barrel last christmas up in Bend while i was visiting a friend. Wanted another shot at it so he sent me a bomber, thanks Tony! Poured into my Stone IRS snifter.

A- Pours a very attractive red/copper color with a very fine off white head that looks to be creamy, as if it was poured nitro tap. Interesting.

S- On the nose, pine, a little bit of citrus, grass, some malts. Nothing too crazy. I remember it being much better on tap, not disappointing though. I think my favorite part of the smell is the fact that its bringing me back to my vacation.

T- Not very hop forward in my opinion, malts up front, followed by a kindof unpleasant bitterness with a lingering bitterness on the back end. Piney tastes with some caramel. Its definitely lacking in the taste department.

M- Thin mouthfeel, and as i guessed by the head, a little bit creamy. Low on the carbonation end.

O- I really love 10 Barrel Brewing. I enjoyed their food at the pub and I like all of their beers. This bottled version of apocalypse was kind of a letdown. Maybe i had my hopes up too high after having it fresh from the tap with steamed clams at the pub, but this bottle was average at best. Worth tasting.

4.18/5  rDev +8%

A: Copper with a white head, excellent retention & lace.

S: Grapefruit rind, pine, hint of tropical fruit.

T: Grapefruit rind, pine, sponge toffee, candied pineapple, great malt (biscuit), good bitterness.

M: Smooth moderate body, light hop acidity, dry finish.

D: A really good drinker and well-crafted. Not a pallet bruiser... I thoroughly enjoyed this one.

3.76/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Saw this for the first time at my local grocer and decided to give it a try. Paid $3.99 a bomber. Heard some good things from Bend locals about this brewery and with all the good news these days, I decided to give Apocalypse IPA a try.

A-Pours a very slightly hazing copper orange with a two finger, off-white head with decent retention but scant lacing. Very pleasing appearance.

S-Aroma is disappointingly faint. Slight floral and citrus hops are subdued by "a generous helping of Victory malt" that gives this beer a predominantly biscuit/nutty aroma. Not what I want in an IPA.

T-With the name being such, I was expecting something more earth ending, at least as we know it. No such luck. This ends up being another "also ran" IPA. I think the Victory malt ruined this beer. I used this malt in a brown ale for its nutty attributes and was very pleased. I would never have thought to use it in an IPA. Odd. As with the aroma, the taste is malt dominant; the nutty/biscuit profile detracts from the fine hop bill: Horizon, Centennial, Amarillo, and Cascade. Great hops, and at 65 IBUs (if accurate), this is plenty hoppy to be an IPA. Not harsh or aggressive assault on the taste buds; I suspect some first wort hopping used. This is not bad; it's just not what it should be and I think the culprit is the Victory malt.

M-Very smooth but a bit thin and light, especially for an IPA.

O-This is decent. I really wanted to like this better than I did. I bought tonight since I was seeking something new. I wouldn't turn this beer away if offered one, but I probably won't buy it again.

Two commendations: (1) this brewery uses bottle dating. 7/25/2011 in this case. (2) the label peels off very easily without soaking/scrubbing making it easy to re-use for home brewing.

3.21/5  rDev -17.1%

Thanks Chad.
Poured from a 22oz bottle into my stone ipa glass.

A- Pours an orange color with copper hugh, what I would expect for a standard ipa. Leaves an off white head and decent lacing around the glass. Lasting bubbles that continue to the top.

S- The nose of this beer is fairly faint and subtle. First off is a nutty aroma I assume is coming from the malts then its earthy, citrus and some pine.

T- Off the bat the first taste is grapefruit that fades to a less distinct citrus flavor. Some slight grass and malt in the back.

M- Cabonation on this beer is on point and makes it very drinkable, quite a bit thinner then I have grown use to from ipa's.

O- Defenitly a beer I'd be ahppy to drink again, with the thinner mouthfeel this is a very sessionable ipa in my opinion.

3.96/5  rDev +2.3%

Served on Tap.

A: Light and bright orange in color, almost looks like a Hef. Really pleasant color.

S: Not a lot of strong smell, a hint of tropical fruit, maybe pineapple.

T: Mostly tropical fruit, a little bit of an earthy taste.

M: The carbonation was perfect, a little more than usual in an IPA but I liked it. Finished smoother than most IPAs. Very enjoyable mouthfeel.

O: I really enjoyed this beer. I drank two in a row and could have stuck with it. Not your average IPA

Apocalypse IPA from 10 Barrel Brewing Co.