Apocalypse IPA | 10 Barrel Brewing Co.

Apocalypse IPAApocalypse IPA

10 Barrel Brewing Co.
Oregon, United States

Style: American IPA

A Northwest American-Style IPA. The color comes through as a deep gold with orange hues. Fruity and citrusy hop aroma shines, with hints of pine resin. The four hop flavor dominates, re-enforcing the aroma with more citrus, fruity and piney notes. The malt character is clean and smooth with a unique toasted flavor (thanks to the generous helping of Victory malt), all held together by a firm bitterness. Apocalypse has a medium-bodied mouth feel, finishing crisp and dry. All of this results in a very drinkable IPA.

Added by Patrick on 10-31-2009

Reviews: 133 | Ratings: 680
3.92/5  rDev +1%

On tap at the brewpub

A - golden with hints of orange. Looks like a light pale ale. No lacing to speak of and not much head.

S - citrus mostly orange.

T - good bordering on better. Good aroma hop taste. Probably not as bitter as it could be but solid taste. Curiously, I like it and cannot figure out why.

M - maybe a little thin. Which explains the lack of head retention and lacing.

O - a good solid IPA. Not an award winner. But I would do it again.

3.83/5  rDev -1.3%

poured from tap into a pint glass. pours a good orange/gold color with a nice foamy head.

Lacking some depth but with good aromas of hops, citrus, and oranges.

Medium/full feel with really good notes of navel oranges and hops. Lacking a slight bit on the feel and it is kinda clipped.

A solid IPA. Hop forward for both the aromas and flavors.

4.16/5  rDev +7.2%

22oz into Ommegang Anniversary glass.

Thanks to JohnGalt1 for 4 bombers from 10 Barrel as extras in our last trade!

The aroma out of the bottle is f#$%ing perfect. Big, a rainbow of citrus aromas from ripe grapefruit to lemon pith. The in glass aroma fades quickly blending nicely with the cut grass laying in my yard.

Little lacing and no active carb dropped the look score, but the color is nice, lightly rounded amber.

Good taste. Like the aroma out of the bottle, the taste seems to fade to one note quickly, but the opening salvo is tops. Sweet and bitter with a very earthy finish.

Mouthfeel is a little light, not oily like with some resinous IPAs.

It's solid+ without being outstanding in any one area - the 5 in aroma not withstanding.

(180th/1st since The Crash)

4.33/5  rDev +11.6%

Appearance- Burnt orange color with a strong off white head. Lots of lacing left behind. 4.5/5

Smell- Earthy and grassy aroma. Some sweet citrus in the background. 4/5

Taste- Sweet orange. The big, grassy bitterness comes out in the end. There is some sweetness but it doesn't overpower the hops. 4.5/5

Mouthfeel- This a little thick for my taste, but it is a really good IPA so I don't mind. 4/5

Overall- I remember this being a little ho-hum the last time I had it. I had heard that the brewery  redid the recipe and I grabbed a six pack. Much better than what I remember. The price is a little high at $10+. 4.5/5

3.67/5  rDev -5.4%

Thanks to DrAwkward82 for sharing this one at jmgrub’s tasting.

Pours a murky honey orange with a foamy orange-tan head that settles to a film on top of the beer. Small dots of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is of citrus fruit and citrus zest. Taste is of citrus zest, herbal hops, and some earthy flavors. There is a medium amount of bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a good level of carbonation with a crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a pretty good beer with a better smell than taste in my opinion.

4.11/5  rDev +5.9%

Golden almost copper color, slight haziness, one finger of head that quickly subsides

Tangerine and pine aroma, with touch of caramel.

Tart citrus up front, fading into pine flavors, backed up by a touch of sweetness and lightly toasty. Assertive bitterness that does not overstay its welcome. The lingering flavors are pine and floral notes.

Medium thin body, low carbonation for style, but enough to bring out the more subtle flavors.

Overall I think this is an excellent example of a PNW IPA. Could use more hop aroma, and a touch more carbonation, but overall this is a thoroughly enjoyable beer that I will enjoy again and again.

3.63/5  rDev -6.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

22oz bomber poured into a Sam Adams Perfect Pint. 10 Barrel hasn't been in the market too long, so while this bottle isn't dated for freshness I'm assuming its not more than 1-2 months old.

A: Pours a brilliant clear deep gold, with a white head that leaves behind a little lace.

S: Interesting profile, though nothing *pops* or is as prominent as I would like in an IPA...there is tropical fruit, caramel, overripe mango, touch of honey.

T & MF: Really follows the nose, no surprises here...balanced, smooth and creamy, maybe even a faint hint of alcohol? Muted tropical fruits, mango, banana, bready caramel but not too sweet, a dab of honey, some good dryness on the back end. Lighter, crisp body.

O: Overall I really wanted more from this brew. Their ISA impressed me more. This has some of the same characteristics as Hopslam (which you think would be awesome), but they're very muted. This is balanced in once sense but the hops seem muted. Maybe this batch/bottle is older than I thought...

4.07/5  rDev +4.9%

Picked up last night at the COOP.... poured into my little CC goblet.. the brew is slightly hop hazed orange.. only okay retention with a good head.

Nose is good citrus zest... slight caramel malt.. maybe some pine in there.

Pithy citrus... tangerine? and some piney hops... sorta oily and yummy... a touch too much malt for my liking, but it is a minor bitch..

Nicely balanced PNW IPA... I dig it overall, but it could stand to be a touch drier on the palate.

4.42/5  rDev +13.9%

OK...before I go into why I rated this so high let me digress. I am skeptical of IPA's that are 6.5%..it seems generic...I tend to like 6.9 or above...don't ask me why but this description will contain info that will explain this.

Got a bottle at my local grocery store to give it a try...ya that sounds lame but it was for $3.79.

Poured into my glass it was a dark, filtered orange...looks like a really nice IPA. Sticky white head and bubbles sticking to the glass.

The smell was really ripe with that hoppy citrus and a touch of pine like many nw IPAs. It also has that biscuit tone that I like from the malts.

The taste is where this one takes control. The 6.5% tastes more like 7.5%. Not in booze but in bitterness. Very bitter and not watered down or tame like some in this category. With the bitterness was the citrusy sweet flavors I savor in an IPA. Really surprised for such a cheap IPA. Impressive.

The mouthfeel was sticky...just like the lacing on the bottle. the flavors linger and the carbonation is not too high and it cleans the palate for more.

Overall, this was one of the best IPAs I have had in a long way. It was very balanced, not too hoppy but the bitterness was high. The malt backbone is there to balance it out. These guys know what they are doing and the name of the beer is in no way an over exageration.

3.5/5  rDev -9.8%

Hazy golden colour with a fluffy, white head. Fair head retention.

Resinous piney hops with some grassy notes. A hint of caramel malt too. Good.

Slightly malty flavour with resinous, piney hops. Fine but it could be brighter.

Medium body with moderate carbonation. Fine.

A decent if unexceptional IPA. Reasonable hop character but nothing more.

3.13/5  rDev -19.3%

Tried this beer at 10 Barrel last christmas up in Bend while i was visiting a friend. Wanted another shot at it so he sent me a bomber, thanks Tony! Poured into my Stone IRS snifter.

A- Pours a very attractive red/copper color with a very fine off white head that looks to be creamy, as if it was poured nitro tap. Interesting.

S- On the nose, pine, a little bit of citrus, grass, some malts. Nothing too crazy. I remember it being much better on tap, not disappointing though. I think my favorite part of the smell is the fact that its bringing me back to my vacation.

T- Not very hop forward in my opinion, malts up front, followed by a kindof unpleasant bitterness with a lingering bitterness on the back end. Piney tastes with some caramel. Its definitely lacking in the taste department.

M- Thin mouthfeel, and as i guessed by the head, a little bit creamy. Low on the carbonation end.

O- I really love 10 Barrel Brewing. I enjoyed their food at the pub and I like all of their beers. This bottled version of apocalypse was kind of a letdown. Maybe i had my hopes up too high after having it fresh from the tap with steamed clams at the pub, but this bottle was average at best. Worth tasting.

4.18/5  rDev +7.7%

A: Copper with a white head, excellent retention & lace.

S: Grapefruit rind, pine, hint of tropical fruit.

T: Grapefruit rind, pine, sponge toffee, candied pineapple, great malt (biscuit), good bitterness.

M: Smooth moderate body, light hop acidity, dry finish.

D: A really good drinker and well-crafted. Not a pallet bruiser... I thoroughly enjoyed this one.

3.76/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Saw this for the first time at my local grocer and decided to give it a try. Paid $3.99 a bomber. Heard some good things from Bend locals about this brewery and with all the good news these days, I decided to give Apocalypse IPA a try.

A-Pours a very slightly hazing copper orange with a two finger, off-white head with decent retention but scant lacing. Very pleasing appearance.

S-Aroma is disappointingly faint. Slight floral and citrus hops are subdued by "a generous helping of Victory malt" that gives this beer a predominantly biscuit/nutty aroma. Not what I want in an IPA.

T-With the name being such, I was expecting something more earth ending, at least as we know it. No such luck. This ends up being another "also ran" IPA. I think the Victory malt ruined this beer. I used this malt in a brown ale for its nutty attributes and was very pleased. I would never have thought to use it in an IPA. Odd. As with the aroma, the taste is malt dominant; the nutty/biscuit profile detracts from the fine hop bill: Horizon, Centennial, Amarillo, and Cascade. Great hops, and at 65 IBUs (if accurate), this is plenty hoppy to be an IPA. Not harsh or aggressive assault on the taste buds; I suspect some first wort hopping used. This is not bad; it's just not what it should be and I think the culprit is the Victory malt.

M-Very smooth but a bit thin and light, especially for an IPA.

O-This is decent. I really wanted to like this better than I did. I bought tonight since I was seeking something new. I wouldn't turn this beer away if offered one, but I probably won't buy it again.

Two commendations: (1) this brewery uses bottle dating. 7/25/2011 in this case. (2) the label peels off very easily without soaking/scrubbing making it easy to re-use for home brewing.

3.21/5  rDev -17.3%

Thanks Chad.
Poured from a 22oz bottle into my stone ipa glass.

A- Pours an orange color with copper hugh, what I would expect for a standard ipa. Leaves an off white head and decent lacing around the glass. Lasting bubbles that continue to the top.

S- The nose of this beer is fairly faint and subtle. First off is a nutty aroma I assume is coming from the malts then its earthy, citrus and some pine.

T- Off the bat the first taste is grapefruit that fades to a less distinct citrus flavor. Some slight grass and malt in the back.

M- Cabonation on this beer is on point and makes it very drinkable, quite a bit thinner then I have grown use to from ipa's.

O- Defenitly a beer I'd be ahppy to drink again, with the thinner mouthfeel this is a very sessionable ipa in my opinion.

3.96/5  rDev +2.1%

Served on Tap.

A: Light and bright orange in color, almost looks like a Hef. Really pleasant color.

S: Not a lot of strong smell, a hint of tropical fruit, maybe pineapple.

T: Mostly tropical fruit, a little bit of an earthy taste.

M: The carbonation was perfect, a little more than usual in an IPA but I liked it. Finished smoother than most IPAs. Very enjoyable mouthfeel.

O: I really enjoyed this beer. I drank two in a row and could have stuck with it. Not your average IPA

3.5/5  rDev -9.8%

Recieved as an extra from someone, unfortunately I did a ton of trades at one time and lost track of who sent what.

A - Orange colored beer, opaque, head rose up fairly high but was a little thin.

S - Citrus and tropical fruits, some grass, little bit of pine, and some sweet malts. There is a slight chemical smell on the end that detracts but doesn't make it unpleassant.

T - Taste is about in line with the nose, although the chemical part comes through stronger as it warms up. Sweet malts, grapefruit and tropical fruit hops with a little bittering on the end. Not bad.

M - Carbonated, medium bodied.

O - This isn't great, but I was able to enjoy drinking it enough. Wouldn't turn it down, but not something I would seek out.

3.97/5  rDev +2.3%

Appearance: orangey-copper brown, hazy, thick layer of tight-beaded yellowy foam

Aroma: caramel, passion-fruit, lemon rind, strawberries

Flavor: biscuity malt profile with a mellow sweetness offset by a really balanced hop bitterness; hint of orange; finishes dryish with a lingering hoppiness

Mouthfeel: medium body, gentle carbonation, crisp

Other comments: This is a really well-balanced IPA. Tasty and easy-drinking. Not overly hoppy and not overly malty. It's in the Goldilocks Zone!

2.18/5  rDev -43.8%

A: Pours an orange color, huge head like most of the glass huge...about 5 finger widths.
S: Smells like an English IPA, maybe Kent Golding hops? Slightly earthy/grassy
T: Slight grassy hoppiness, not much malt balance here.
M: Too overcarbonated, light bodied beer
O: You shouldn't have to wait 5 min for the head to go down so you can drink a beer....seriously overcarbonated. The taste really wasn't impressive at all either...probably wont get this again.

2.63/5  rDev -32.2%

Poured from a 22 into a tulip

A - Light copper, thin foamy head, lively carbonation

S - Pine hops and medicine on the nose

T - Finished quickly, no lingering taste. Quite unimpressive profile. Alcoholic and tinny. Grapefruit appears after a few sips. Grassy. Finish is truly lacking, even watery.

M - The beer itself is creamy but with the sharp carbonation it just doesn't mesh to well for me.

O - Of course I wished for this beer to be great, while it is not terrible, I don't think I would purchase a 22 again. However, I would try it on tap for draughtness sake.
Too alcoholic to be quaffable. Leaves the back of my tastebuds puckering.
katelovesbeer is sharing the 22 with me, not reviewing on the site tonight, but does like it. I may be alone in this one?

3.32/5  rDev -14.4%

It appears cloudy orange with a small off white head.

It smells of citrus, pineapple and sweet malt.
There is also a mild grassy hoppy smell.

It tastes initially of sweet mild malt. I get a bit a mild citrus flavor (lemons and orange). There is a mild grassy hop flavor as well. The beer ends with a medium amount of bitterness. There is not much about this beer it does not taste bad though.

There is a high carbonation to this beer. Furthermore there is a light mouthfeel to the ale.

Overall an ok IPA it is not bad but there is not much to it and it is forgettable.

3.95/5  rDev +1.8%

Bomber from Capital Market,Salem. Once again I like the way 10 Barrels do their packaging. very handsome. Amber/burnt orange coloured, with a lovelly light tan head..that is volumtious and creamy. Strong resiny,piney hop aromas here..seems quite fresh. taste is not as hoppy as i expected..but it certainlly fills the mouth with the taste of a pine forest..the mats show too semi-sweet. Not a very sweet IPA which is a relief. Ok on the palate, nothing special ,nothing bad. Overall a nice PNW style IPA.

3.84/5  rDev -1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

From notes.

Pours a bright orange color, slightly hazy, with a thin white head.

Wonderful hoppy aromas. Very resiny and green, herbal, with some earthiness, and pine as well.

Taste is light up front, not the hoppy blast that the nose suggested. Slightly sweet and creamy, light caramel malt notes, with some granulated sugar flavors. Finish is crisp, and does provide some hop flavor, mostly herbal and resiny.

Mouthfeel is pretty good, smooth, and nicely carbonated, but a little thin.

Drinkability is good. This is a pretty nice IPA. If it had more body and taste it could be a great one.

Poured into an oversized wine glass a hazed deep orange with a sticky one finger white that left broken rings of lace as it settled slowly.A mix of resiny and earthy hop mixed with caramel/biscuit malt and sweet alcohol,almost candy-like in the sweet alcohol note.Big earthy tones at the onset along with pine resin hop flavors,a big sweet alcohol dipped fruit element comes in late.This is a very earthy toned hopped ipa,a bit different but I like it.

3.48/5  rDev -10.3%

Coppery orange rind with polished gold trim and a good looking lid of sandstone colored cream that is marshmallow sticky. It's still early, but the upper reaches of the glass are beginning to be plastered with thick sheets of lace and chunks of foam.

The nose pays equal homage to malt and hops, which is not the way to go in an American IPA. The main issue is that Victory malt (similar to Munich in terms of earthy nuttiness) is one member of the grain bill. It ends up taking a bite out of what could have been a killer aroma, with such notables as Centennial, Amarillo and Cascade (along with Horizon) in the house.

Apocalypse IPA is decent beer that is in no way apocalyptic. It needs a larger percentage of pale malt and it needs more hops. Both, of course, are personal preferences. It tastes like most of the original 65 IBUS are still present, so the bomber is reasonably fresh. Good hop flavor, though, is somewhat lacking.

Each mouthful delivers lightly toasted bread, a small handful of baked nuts, grapefruit zest, orange zest, and a woody spiciness whose origins are a mystery. This is an okay version of my favorite style, but it definitely needs some work.

The mouthfeel is more APA than IPA. It's thinner than it should be, doesn't bulk up as it warms, and the bubbles are within the wide range of acceptable. Not exactly a ringing endorsement.

Apocalypse IPA is one of those beers that is impressing less and less with each passing ounce. That isn't such a good thing when the bottle contains 22 ounces rather than 12. Hopefully, 10 Barrel Brewing will deliver the goods with S1nist0r Black Ale, a bomber of which is biding its time in my cellar as we speak.

3.91/5  rDev +0.8%

22oz bottle.

Pours burnished copper with a rocky, two inch head of eggshell white. Plenty of smeary lacing and a solid foam cap for the duration of the glass.

Aromatics are a mild combination of citrus, pine, and husky malt. Lacking much floral character or pungentness.

Medium bodied with a crisp, drying mouthfeel.

Citrus pith and pine resin start the palate with a fairly substantial bitterness stepping forward quickly. Biscuity malt and traces of honey follow through.

Finishes with lingering grapefruit, pine, and slightly grainy malt.

Decent enough but certainly sub-par given the locale of the brewery. More hops please, all around.

Apocalypse IPA from 10 Barrel Brewing Co.