El CuCuy | Marshall Brewing Company

marshallbrewing.com

Style: American Black Ale

Added by Riggo on 12-02-2010

4.89/5  rDev +19%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.87/5  rDev +18.5%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.78/5  rDev +16.3%

4.75/5  rDev +15.6%

4.72/5  rDev +14.8%

Out of a bomber bottle into a glass

A-pours a dark brown hazy color. Small head. Lots of lacing.

S-smells amazing. Nice cedary and piney hop smell with a possible tobacco hint in the background. Not sure. Also some great floral notes. Makes my nose happy.

T-outstanding! Nice hop. Seems a bit of chocolate as well with a few other things I can't quite make out. With 8.6abv, it's well hidden. This is one of the most interesting brews I have tasted In a long time. Hoppy and malty.

M-medium body. Very creamy and smooth with some playful carbonation. Seems right on par.

D-if it weren't for the 8.6abv, I could kick back and drink this all night long. Two bombers of this beer and I'm feeling superb! All of Marshall brews are great. In my opinion, Big Jamoke being there top beer. But El CuCuy takes top now. Well done!!

Also, this beer is the first of their Loco Gringo series. I can't wait to taste the delicious awesomeness of what's yet to come!

4.7/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: 1/2” tan head. Decent retention, leaving nice lacing along the glass. Very dark brown body.

S: Big grapefruit & pine aroma with hints of roasted malts.

T: Wonderfully bitter, with loads of grapefruity, piney, and grassy hops (with grapefruit leading the way). There's some roasty, caramel, & dark malt underneath, but this one is all about the hops... and that's just fine with me.

M: Medium+ body with fine carbonation. Somewhat smooth with the hop bitterness lasting throughout the finish and beyond.

O: Alcohol well hidden. Tremendously drinkable. Right there with SSR & Victory Yakima – would love to do a blind tasting. I could go on, but to be honest I should just delete the whole review & say “Just *&$%ing outstanding.” God bless you, Eric Marshall.

4.67/5  rDev +13.6%

A - Pours black with chestnut edges. 2 fingers of tan head slowly dissipates into a frothy top. Spotted lacing throughout.

S - Bright mandarin/grapefruit citrus, green pine needles, caramel malt, salty wood, baked dark bread.

T - Candied pine needles, a generous amount of sharp grapefruit citrus, tropical fruits, salty pine wood, toasty caramel malt, pumpernickel and rye bread, brown sugar, hints of dark cocoa, roasted maple.

M - Medium to moderate carbonation, full bodied, super creamy.

The hops are bursting with flavors of citrus, pine, and seem to be infused with tropical fruit sweetness. The malts are mysteriously amazing. If you closed your eyes you would probably think you were drinking a perfectly balanced roasted double IPA. This is the best in class for this style so far for me, even after a blind taste test. This beer is simply amazing!

4.64/5  rDev +12.9%

Ok my first review, and just doin it because these guys deserve the rep. I'm not going to stick to the regular review styles, because I feel like I should just be able to talk about a beer and rave about it or trash it based on my perceptions without the format.

Poured this from a 750 into a New Belgium tulip. Nice tan 2 finger head. Amazing piney smell, makes me wish I was in the woods on my mountain bike somewhere in southern Arkansas. Tastes amazing, maybe I'm just a noob and don't know what flavors I'm experiencing, but this shit is good. Begs for another sip. Been tryin to keep a bottle back and turn it into barleywine, lol, but it's too cheap and good, around here to let sit around without drinkin it. Kudos to you Eric and your amazing brewery on a great brew, and being a wonderful asset to our city.

4.63/5  rDev +12.7%

Reviewed from notes: Love that this is a locally brewed beer, its excellent! The aroma is piny with a hint of roasted malt. On the front the taste bold, with some caramel and sweetness. The beer finishes great with no bitterness. Hop note is very floral and piny. They have balanced the booziness extremely well with malt and hop, you definitely do not know your drinking a beer with 8.6% alcohol until later. Marshall has out-done themselves with this brew. If you get the chance to have this gem, I strongly suggest you give it a try!

4.62/5  rDev +12.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.54/5  rDev +10.5%

The first thing I noticed about this delight was the smell. Very piney and strong. At first pour, a tan, thick head forms that takes a while to settle. At first sip you are hit with a combination of maltiness and hops. The hops become more prevalent as you make it through the bottle. One thinks they are drinking an IPA if it weren't for the dark pleasant color and other traits of a black ale. Even though the alcohol is over 8%, it's very drinkable. This is a beer to sit back and enjoy as it seems to change as it warms in the glass. I though it continued to improve as it warmed up. If this were on tap it would be interesting to try. I would definitely buy this again. If anyone knows if it can be found in TX, please let me know.

4.52/5  rDev +10%

Poured into my New Belgium globe. Thanks goes to thehand for sending this in my NFL Pick 'Em box.

A - Black body with a small light brown head

S - Citrusy hops mingle with some roast. Mostly hops though not really pungent

T - Hops hit you at first, a nice citrusy hop burst but it quickly gives way to roasted malts and some chocolate notes. Slightly sweet but the hops are certainly present giving some bitterness. Hints of coffee as well.

M - medium body, a nice light carbonation

D - Really drinkable. This beer is real nice. If this was local to me I could see myself picking this up quite often. I'm really glad I got to try this. I'm going to have to seek out more beer from this brewery.

4.5/5  rDev +9.5%

a huge thanks to scott for sharing this one with me and greg at the ccb tap room on tuesday. poured into a snifter and consumed on 4/11/2011.

nice dark black pour with a full head of creamy tan that was spot on for the style. nice lacing up and down the sides of the glass as i would expect.

aroma is nicely balanced citrus hops, orange, pineapple, and nice smoked malts with hints of peat, and leather up front and touches of molasses and brown sugar as it warms. really bringing the whole thing full circle the rich smoked malts really start to shine and bring hints of vanilla and brown sugar right up front and finish off with a nice citrus dryness that really hits the spot.

overall very classic for the style and very well done. was glad to be able to try this one and would be happy to try it gaain.

El CuCuy from Marshall Brewing Company