Midnight Lager

Rated:
Aug 06, 2023
Added:
Oct 27, 2019
Introducing our limited edition Midnight Lager. When winter hits, we often reach for something a little special, a little richer, even a little darker. But we don’t always crave the same flavors and textures of the usual dark beers. That’s why we created Stella Artois Midnight Lager. This limited release dark lager has a light to medium body, balanced drinkability, 5.4 % ABV and surprisingly crisp, dry finish that helps make the season feel original again.

View: More Beers
Recent ratings and reviews. | Log in to view more ratings + sorting options.

Rated: 3.66 by Rainintheface from Florida

Jun 12, 2022
Reviewed by Whyteboar from Michigan

4.02/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4
Poured very dark, near black, but maybe it was the carbonation (which is quite lively) that is reflecting light making it look less than black. Who knows, The tan head was pleasing to look at, but it didn't last long.
Aroma very mild for me, and that's the norm. I did get a little cracker type smell in with the malts and hops.
Taste is solid! I'm not normally a fan of Stella but in a quest to try as many dark lagers as I can, I had to try this one and I am not disappointed. Smooth yet lively, malty and biscuit flavors trump the hops but the flavors are so balanced it works quite well.
For the price point, I think I'll pick up a 6 pack every year they are available. Good beer!
Apr 18, 2022

Rated: 3.63 by ItsBeer4Me from Pennsylvania

Apr 08, 2022

Rated: 3.69 by shelby415 from Oregon

Mar 30, 2022
Reviewed by JZH1000 from Colorado

3.65/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5
Poured from an 11.2oz bottle that says brewed in the U.S.A. Baldwinsville, NY

On the pour there is a not quite one finger head that dissipates over a few minutes to just a light covering and ring around the glass. What does stay of the head sticks around for the whole beer. Lots of carbonation coming up to the top but it is black so you can't see the carbonation. Held up to light it becomes a very dark murky brown still almost black however. It wants to lace but it just can't quite stick.

Aroma is largely sweet and bread toasty malts. Lager character is quite apparent. Some bittering hops coming through in an earthy herbaceous way. Nice but maybe some diacetyl, but vague.

Taste follows the smell with the nalt being forefront and lager beer flavor right after. Some bitterness comes through after the main flavors subside. Aftertaste is some sweet maltiness that remains mingling with what remains of the hops.

Feel is quite nice at first. Big presence with the carbonation and surprising creaminess. Once the burst of foam subsides it becomes more dry but a bit watery and disappears on the finish.

Overall it's a nice dark lager very similar to a German Dunkel. Also very much like a Stella. So if you like dark beer and you also like Stella and want to combine the two, then voila.
Mar 21, 2022
Reviewed by GratefulBeerGuy from New Hampshire

4.2/5  rDev +13.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25
LOOKS:
Black ad midnight with a tan colored, active and bubbly foamy cap, lays out quick with plenty of cover to admire.
SMELLS:
Roasty chocolate pecan malt, blackberry-Blueberry vanilla fruity and creamy sweetness. Noice!
FEELS:
A jazzy first hit, carbonated and bubbly, clean and soft edges. Smooth, once again--clean with a refreshing finish. Wow.
FLAVA:
The roasty dark chocolate malt is fantastic, almonds within, charred herbs, dark fruity berries wild style, creamy, vanilla soft notes all around that other stuff. Basically takes on a roasty, chocolate stout within a the traditional Pilz, lager style.
OVERALL or bits n' pieces:
I dig it thoroughly.
Mar 07, 2022

Rated: 3.48 by bongobeer from Alabama

Feb 21, 2022

Rated: 3.5 by TMoney2591 from Illinois

Feb 15, 2022
Reviewed by frankd65 from New Jersey

Served on tap at the venerable Chimney Rock Inn in NJ. When I saw this on their list of offerings, I thought I'd give it a try, as regular Stella is just okay for me and not one of my usual go-tos - but I was curious to see how this one would play out. It's a good beer that I enjoyed. Very dark pour, malty, a bit fizzy, very low hop presence, some nice roasty coffee/cocoa notes in the mix. Vaguely reminiscent of Heineken Dark, from what I recall on last sampling that brew many years ago.

If you are seeking a darker beer that is not as complex or heavy as a stout or porter, but still with a bit more heft than a standard lager, this might do the trick to fill that slot. With regular Stella, I'm typically one-and-done, but I liked my first Midnight enough to down a second one (which the ABV definitely accommodates). Would definitely seek out again when I am in the mood for this variety of brew.
Feb 05, 2022

Rated: 3.57 by oberon from North Carolina

Feb 05, 2022
Reviewed by Dustin015 from Maryland

4.39/5  rDev +18.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25
L- Dark brown/ Black with a nice tan head

S- Sweet coffee, chocolate, barley and toffee

T- Roasted barley with almost undetectable hoppyness. light bitter.

F- medium light body. medium carbonation.

O- Surprisingly tasty. the aroma is fantastic and really carries this beer. I would buy this again.
Jan 28, 2022

Rated: 4 by LennyBound from Illinois

Dec 20, 2021
Reviewed by BroBobby70 from Texas

4.11/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25
11.2 oz bottle poured into English Pint glass
Look: Dark color, like cola, 1 finger tan head, disappeared quickly. Carbonation like a cola
Smell: Malty with notes of chocolate
Taste: Medium bitterness, chocolate and coffee flavors, tasty
Feel: Excellent carbonation, not as heavy as expected
Overall: Reminds me of a compromise of the easy to drink lager and the complex flavor of a dark beer. Yes, I would come back to it.
Dec 20, 2021