Stella ArtoisStella Artois

View: Beers
Reviews: 1,573 | Ratings: 5,731 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
Reviews by KinkyEconomist:
2.67/5  rDev -14.1%

Look: That unfortunate depth of straw color that looks exactly like urine. Thin head that dissipates very fast.

Smell: Like a roadkilled skunk. Absolutely terrible. I was about ready to give up on it after that first whiff.

Taste: BUT if do overlook those two aspects, it actually tastes just fine. A pretty solid lager, maybe the quality of Yuengling . Moderately hopped, not much other flavors going on.

Feel: And it falls apart again. feels really slick and thick. Lack of carbonation here.

Overall: I'd have it if you gave it to me. But I'd never buy it again.

1.88/5  rDev -39.5%

Light skunky unpleasant flavor..tastes cheap, watery, corn and grass; overpriced too. Heineken is significantly better if you want a euro lager. Hell, I'd take a budweiser or a moosehead over this stuff any day.. Two thumbs down.

2.56/5  rDev -17.7%
look: 3 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.75

Upon pouring my 11.2 Fl. Oz. can of Stella Artois I missed over how much the beer looked like apple juice. However, the head formed a modest white foam in my glass that lasted about 35 seconds. Then the head quickly dissipated to form a thin white ring. The bubbles from the carbonation rose with low-medium velocity. Overall, I was much more impressed by the simple, yet elegant artwork of the can.

As for the smell, I could barely detect anything, except perhaps some fading notes of raw dough.

The taste was malt forward, definitely reminding me of apple juice, with mild tartness. Almost simultaneously hops took the stage and balanced decently with fruity flavors. And finishing, the hoppiness closed with a bittersweet after taste.

The feel is quite watery, easily sliding around the mouth, and leaves an astringent trail behind it. The carbonation is on the lower end of medium velocity, and helps to spruce up the wateriness.

Overall, Stella Artois is a decent beer if it was priced in a lower strata. Unlike, other beers that command such a price tag, this beer fell short of truly being a premium beer. It's quality certainly surpasses many macro brew beers, but it should not be priced as high as it is.

I am someone who enjoys all beer including Rolling Rock which is the cheapest in my area. If I had to choose between Stella Artois and Rolling Rock in terms of bang for my buck, Rolling Rock would win.

4.5/5  rDev +44.7%

This is my go to beer because most places have it on tap and it's usually the best thing on tap. This is one of the first beers that actually allowed me to start to appreciate beer (along with Heineken). I tend to lean more toward the European beers though, so to each their own.

I would say that Stella and Heineken are both very good entry level beers for people who think they don't like beer. I started with those two just a year or so ago and now I'm learning to appreciate the Gulden Draaks, the Pauwel Kwaks, the EKU 28s, and the Samichlaus type beers. This is why I still like it a lot and it's my go to because most places aren't going to have the previously mentioned beers.

A perfectly "ok" Euro lager I guess. Kinda bland to me. I choose it when the other choices are stuff I can't stand. Then I keep looking at the taps trying to figure out if one of them might actually be better.

2.35/5  rDev -24.4%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I suppose the look and smell is fine, or at least hasn't stood out to me as unpleasant in any way, but the taste seemed more akin to Budweiser. I picked up a case of Belgium beers that had 12 Stella Artois, 6 Leffe, and 6 Hoegaarden, because it was on sale and seemed like a good deal on beers that normally cost quite more than what I paid. Definitely not what I was expecting, and it certainly isn't horrible, but when I look at the more common retail price, I think what's being sold is a label and a brand, and that's what you're paying for, not the quality.

2.01/5  rDev -35.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2

Look: Pours a completely translucent straw hue with a half finger, white colored head.

Smell: Nothing really. Just the faintest notion of grassy hops and apples.

Taste: I'm getting almost nothing as for flavor too. Upfront very very slightly sweet. Watery. Finishes with a grassy, sour apple funk. I'll admit it's a very inoffensive taste akin to sweetened water - but I don't necessarily consider "lack flavor" a positive attribute.

Feel: Thin and undercarbonated.

Overall: Very bland and boring. It almost tastes like nothing at all. I used to think this was one of the most prestigious and delicious beers in the world when I wasn't into craft beer.

Looking back, I understand now the only reason I used to buy this is because it tastes slightly less terrible than everything else mainstream beer has to offer.

2.77/5  rDev -10.9%

This used to be an old favorite before I got into craft. Knowing what I know now, I was fully expecting it to not hold a candle to the other great Belgians I've tried since. I was right. Here's what I thought.
Look- straw golden color with a nice foamy head. This quickly dissipated, the lace was pretty thin.
Smell- this one smelled bad; skunky, cooked veggies and green apples, a typical macro smell. Some biscuity malt in the middle, but not enough to save it.
Taste- not a bad taste. Some grassiness and malty sweetness. Slight hops bitterness. Aftertaste was weird though.
Feel- at first, it was crisp and pleasant. Then, it became too watery and thin.
Overall - drinkable enough, but not really deserving of a good score.

2.78/5  rDev -10.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Drank at a concert venue that only offered Bud/Bud Light or this. I chose this.

It's clear and yellow, not much smell, not much taste, and light bodied and drinkable. The little taste and smell that is there isn't bad, it's just not anything to write home about. Much much better from cans than those skunky green bottles. This beer basically just reminds me of American Budweiser, only better and less rice-y. So if you go in expecting nothing much better than that, your expectations will be met.

1.83/5  rDev -41.2%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.75

Where is the beer? A little taste, but too much alcohol for a short beer. This is a product I do not understand how you say beer, soda would say with a slight taste of beer.

1.84/5  rDev -40.8%

This is a beer that I really expected to be, and tried to make, better. A bunch of my friends love and swear by this brew... not sure why. It resembles Busch Light bought cold, then laid out on a beach in Saudi Arabia to warm, then cooled again. Skunky smell, fleeting (luckily) unpleasant taste, and just an overall bad feeling beer. Go out and grab a Hoegaarden instead, you will be much happier with that Belgium throat coater.

2.85/5  rDev -8.4%

I've hear so much about this beer and had it a long time ago and decided to give it another try. I was a little underwhelmed given the list of great Belgian beers. It was just okay to me. Nothing stuck out to make it a unique pilsner. Medium carbonation, nondescript aromas, weak lace. I'm normally not a harsh critic but I expected more.

3.06/5  rDev -1.6%

By far the best aspect of this beer is how it looks in the glass. Certainly a step above the standard American macro but nothing to write home about. Can get a skunky bottle and tends to be better on tap. Solid choice at restaurants with a poor craft menu.

2.91/5  rDev -6.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Euro hip tv ads, make it appear that Stella would be something special. I found it lacking in every category. It you're not a beer drinker, this is for you. Meaning to say, there's nothing here to offend, keepin' it light.

2.81/5  rDev -9.6%

I consumed huge amounts of this beer back and forth to Belgium on Sabena. It did me just fine ... nothing special just an other Euro lager, sadly this one is trying to ride the Belgain bandwagon and it does not even stand up to what really comes out of Belgium.

Enjoyed at my favorite pizza pub. A very clean and well brewed beer. Aromas are big on the noble / Euro hops for an earthy and spicy mix. Good pisner / biscuit malts shows yeasty and bready character. Looks a medium yellow with medium carbonation. A good head that lingerred and laced nicely. Flavors are lightly malty and picks up on a bit of grain, bread, vegetals, and red apples. Light hop spices and solid hop bittering closes out the complexity. Has a light to medium weight on the toung with a full, almost creamy texture. Finishes lightly dry and a bit minty. A very good beer for style. It stands up nicely to my favorite Bohemian Pilsners.

3.79/5  rDev +21.9%

Look - Had on draft, clear pale gold color, lots of carbonation, a thin cap of foamy white head.
Aroma - Grainy, wheat, minerals, vague sweetness.
Taste - Like the aroma, grainy up front, pale malt, not very sweet, white bread, very mild hop bitterness towards the end.
Feel - Thin body, very carbonated, refreshing.

Overall - One of the better mass produced Euro lagers. I don't care whatever stigmas it has, I like it. Reminds me of Heineken only with less residual sweetness and more crisp. A good choice at a restaurant with a small beer menu.

3.06/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Pouring with a finger high bright white head, the beer is crystal clear straw yellow in color and has a moderate amount of visible carbonation. The head quickly died down but never completely faded away and left a thin layer of bubbles consistently covering the surface.
S: There are light aromas of floral hops and spicy yeast in the nose.
T: The taste shares a lot of similarities with the smell and also has flavors of grainy malts along with some hints of sweetness and a slight amount of bitterness.
M: It feels light-bodied on the palate with a slight amount of crispness and dryness. There is a moderate amount of carbonation.
D: The beer isn't that difficult to drink, although I'm not sure if I would try another because the taste wasn't very interesting.

2.73/5  rDev -12.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

This is a Euro pale for sure and, although the appearance is appealing with a frothy bright white head and golden color, pale is the word for its aroma, a very slight malt-grass combination. The taste falls in line with the smell, very little malt and hops going on. Watery and with the carbonation levels coupled with the faint flavors this feels and tastes more like a sparkling water pale ale cocktail.

3.63/5  rDev +16.7%

This mass produced Belgium lager from Interbrew is just what you would expect from such a source. But, it can vary in taste and character as to where it was actually brewed, and whether on tap, in bottle or can! On tap in Belgium can be good, crisp, fresh sharpish character, decent flavour with a hoppy bitterness (though if in Belgium you would crazy to be drinking this when you have hundreds of amazing real beers to try!) On tap in UK I would say it is one of the better lagers, a lot better than Harp, Fosters, Carling or Castlemain etc, though tends to have less character than that tasted in Belgium. If buying it in can or bottle, look carefully to see WHERE it was brewed. If brewed in UK under licence, then its very ordinary, not worth having, but if bottled and brewed in Belgium, then its a worthwhile improvement. I would not drink Stella in a pub or bar if there was a real ale on tap, but would much rather have it than the dreadful bland 'smoothflow' or 'creamflow' bitters anyday ! One of the better mass produced lagers and can be very enjoyable of a hot summers day sitting in a beer garden if nothing better available!

John W
Bham UK

3.67/5  rDev +18%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.3/5  rDev +6.1%

A decent beer. Golden and transparent, with a moderate head. Aroma is decidedly beery. Taste is malty, no bitterness, no complexity. Not spectacular, but smooth and drinkable, a nice accompaniment for dinner, lively conversation, or a sports event on TV. This is a good party drink.

2.26/5  rDev -27.3%

Boring bland beer. It's certainly no better (or worse) than American macro lagers. It may be Belgian in origin, but Stella Artois has about as much to do with the celebrated qualities of Belgian brewing as Coors Light. I don't mean to say it's horrible because it's not and neither are many American macro lagers. There are just much better beers in the world.

Update: No real reason for the edit, other than boredom.
9/10/09 Pretty bad, cheap-tasting lager. In my opinion, Stella Artois is about on par with most American macro lagers. There's very little to recommend it. The color is a pale, drab yellow. The small white head dissipates very quickly. There's little aroma, except for a muted cheap malt note, overly sweet and more reminiscent of corn than barley, although I don't believe that adjuncts are used. The flavor is similarly dominated by a cheap, overly sweet malt flavor. There are some hops in there, I guess. The beer is not entirely without crispness when cold. Still, the feel is rather thin, even for a lager probably based on a pilsner style. Overall, I'm not a fan of Stella. The flavor is unclean, which is a pretty big problem for me in a light lager.

3.51/5  rDev +12.9%

Poured crystal clear golden/straw yellow with an inch of fluffy white head out of a corked and caged 750. Smells a bit grainy, but it's not overtly sweet like an adjunct lager. There's also a grassy note with a hint of pepper. You can pick up a little noble hops. Taste is similar. The grainy sweetness is dominant, but there's a taste on the back end reminiscent of a german pils. The carbonation has some bite. Just a clean, crisp drinkable beer. I'm not a huge fan of the style, but this is probably my favorite.

3.18/5  rDev +2.3%

Poured into Belgian tulip glass

A: It's a beautiful looking beer. Nice thick head. Golden with a constant stream of bubbles surging to the top. Leaves a nice trace around the edge of the glass.

S: A very distinct smell. I would describe it as musty. Kind of like your grandfather's wood shop in his basement. Not a bad smell, just very distinct and very familiar

T: Here is where I was disappointed. This tastes like a very average lager. It is very mild with very little distinct taste of anything. It barely even has the "grainy" taste of the most simple blue-collar beer

M: A very smooth beer, slides down the throat easily. Not too much carbonation. Doesn't have that annoying "oily" texture too often found in some lagers that leaves your mouth feeling sticky

I tried one of these because I felt I had to, just for the experience. Honestly, I feel like calling it the Budweiser of Belgium. But their Budweiser is still better than our Budweiser (Team Fourstar's mockery of Raditz comes to mind).

This beer is more potent than I thought it would be. Perhaps it is because I poured myself a glass after getting home for dinner before I had something to eat, but this seems to support the war stories circulating around the UK that Stella was what fueled a large number of Football (yeah, the non-American kind) riots.

Overall, a decent sipping beer. But for the price I could do a lot better. Or I could get a comparable quality beer for a lot less. It's an entirely unremarkable beer. Avoid it in favor of its competitors, unless you really want to try it.

Stella Artois from Stella Artois