Stella Artois | Stella Artois

Ratings: 5,336 |  Reviews: 1,490
Reviews by mortarit:
2.82/5  rDev -7.8%

May 2007
I purchased this beer way back when, don't remember. The exp. date 8/2006. So it's pass due. It came in a six pak and here's what's left.

Pale yellow, with just a touch of gold to darken it up a bit. Head poured large and bubbly. Big bubble and lots of carbonation. It settled down to a thin layer.

The smell was faint but noticable. Dry, a bit sour (in the right way), hoppy.

Nothing stands out about the mouthfeel. No way it qualifies as anything substantial, but I wouldn’t call it thin either. Feels nice and fizzy.

After the intense aroma I was surprised at how mild and almost bland the taste was. It was disappointing. It’s still a good dry lager, but it just doesn’t hold up to the promise of the aroma. That was my first reaction, but I liked it more the more I drank. The aroma is still the best thing about the beer.

This was my first experience with this beer was at a movie theater, believe that. I had a couple and thought well maybe I should get some later. I did and their OK. I really don't drink alot of Lagers but I like to have a couple now and then. Stella Artois would be the one I pick out of the many Euro Pale Lager.
The exp. date didn't effect the beer any I think. If it did, it was very slightly alter. Does a beer made since 1366 need to have a born on date?

4.5/5  rDev +47.1%

This is my go to beer because most places have it on tap and it's usually the best thing on tap. This is one of the first beers that actually allowed me to start to appreciate beer (along with Heineken). I tend to lean more toward the European beers though, so to each their own.

I would say that Stella and Heineken are both very good entry level beers for people who think they don't like beer. I started with those two just a year or so ago and now I'm learning to appreciate the Gulden Draaks, the Pauwel Kwaks, the EKU 28s, and the Samichlaus type beers. This is why I still like it a lot and it's my go to because most places aren't going to have the previously mentioned beers.

2.81/5  rDev -8.2%

I consumed huge amounts of this beer back and forth to Belgium on Sabena. It did me just fine ... nothing special just an other Euro lager, sadly this one is trying to ride the Belgain bandwagon and it does not even stand up to what really comes out of Belgium.

3.06/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Pouring with a finger high bright white head, the beer is crystal clear straw yellow in color and has a moderate amount of visible carbonation. The head quickly died down but never completely faded away and left a thin layer of bubbles consistently covering the surface.
S: There are light aromas of floral hops and spicy yeast in the nose.
T: The taste shares a lot of similarities with the smell and also has flavors of grainy malts along with some hints of sweetness and a slight amount of bitterness.
M: It feels light-bodied on the palate with a slight amount of crispness and dryness. There is a moderate amount of carbonation.
D: The beer isn't that difficult to drink, although I'm not sure if I would try another because the taste wasn't very interesting.

2.67/5  rDev -12.7%

Look: That unfortunate depth of straw color that looks exactly like urine. Thin head that dissipates very fast.

Smell: Like a roadkilled skunk. Absolutely terrible. I was about ready to give up on it after that first whiff.

Taste: BUT if do overlook those two aspects, it actually tastes just fine. A pretty solid lager, maybe the quality of Yuengling . Moderately hopped, not much other flavors going on.

Feel: And it falls apart again. feels really slick and thick. Lack of carbonation here.

Overall: I'd have it if you gave it to me. But I'd never buy it again.

2.73/5  rDev -10.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

This is a Euro pale for sure and, although the appearance is appealing with a frothy bright white head and golden color, pale is the word for its aroma, a very slight malt-grass combination. The taste falls in line with the smell, very little malt and hops going on. Watery and with the carbonation levels coupled with the faint flavors this feels and tastes more like a sparkling water pale ale cocktail.

Enjoyed at my favorite pizza pub. A very clean and well brewed beer. Aromas are big on the noble / Euro hops for an earthy and spicy mix. Good pisner / biscuit malts shows yeasty and bready character. Looks a medium yellow with medium carbonation. A good head that lingerred and laced nicely. Flavors are lightly malty and picks up on a bit of grain, bread, vegetals, and red apples. Light hop spices and solid hop bittering closes out the complexity. Has a light to medium weight on the toung with a full, almost creamy texture. Finishes lightly dry and a bit minty. A very good beer for style. It stands up nicely to my favorite Bohemian Pilsners.

2.91/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Euro hip tv ads, make it appear that Stella would be something special. I found it lacking in every category. It you're not a beer drinker, this is for you. Meaning to say, there's nothing here to offend, keepin' it light.

3.06/5  rDev 0%

By far the best aspect of this beer is how it looks in the glass. Certainly a step above the standard American macro but nothing to write home about. Can get a skunky bottle and tends to be better on tap. Solid choice at restaurants with a poor craft menu.

2.77/5  rDev -9.5%

This used to be an old favorite before I got into craft. Knowing what I know now, I was fully expecting it to not hold a candle to the other great Belgians I've tried since. I was right. Here's what I thought.
Look- straw golden color with a nice foamy head. This quickly dissipated, the lace was pretty thin.
Smell- this one smelled bad; skunky, cooked veggies and green apples, a typical macro smell. Some biscuity malt in the middle, but not enough to save it.
Taste- not a bad taste. Some grassiness and malty sweetness. Slight hops bitterness. Aftertaste was weird though.
Feel- at first, it was crisp and pleasant. Then, it became too watery and thin.
Overall - drinkable enough, but not really deserving of a good score.

2.78/5  rDev -9.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Drank at a concert venue that only offered Bud/Bud Light or this. I chose this.

It's clear and yellow, not much smell, not much taste, and light bodied and drinkable. The little taste and smell that is there isn't bad, it's just not anything to write home about. Much much better from cans than those skunky green bottles. This beer basically just reminds me of American Budweiser, only better and less rice-y. So if you go in expecting nothing much better than that, your expectations will be met.

1.83/5  rDev -40.2%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.75

Where is the beer? A little taste, but too much alcohol for a short beer. This is a product I do not understand how you say beer, soda would say with a slight taste of beer.

1.84/5  rDev -39.9%

This is a beer that I really expected to be, and tried to make, better. A bunch of my friends love and swear by this brew... not sure why. It resembles Busch Light bought cold, then laid out on a beach in Saudi Arabia to warm, then cooled again. Skunky smell, fleeting (luckily) unpleasant taste, and just an overall bad feeling beer. Go out and grab a Hoegaarden instead, you will be much happier with that Belgium throat coater.

3.79/5  rDev +23.9%

Look - Had on draft, clear pale gold color, lots of carbonation, a thin cap of foamy white head.
Aroma - Grainy, wheat, minerals, vague sweetness.
Taste - Like the aroma, grainy up front, pale malt, not very sweet, white bread, very mild hop bitterness towards the end.
Feel - Thin body, very carbonated, refreshing.

Overall - One of the better mass produced Euro lagers. I don't care whatever stigmas it has, I like it. Reminds me of Heineken only with less residual sweetness and more crisp. A good choice at a restaurant with a small beer menu.

2.01/5  rDev -34.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2

Look: Pours a completely translucent straw hue with a half finger, white colored head.

Smell: Nothing really. Just the faintest notion of grassy hops and apples.

Taste: I'm getting almost nothing as for flavor too. Upfront very very slightly sweet. Watery. Finishes with a grassy, sour apple funk. I'll admit it's a very inoffensive taste akin to sweetened water - but I don't necessarily consider "lack flavor" a positive attribute.

Feel: Thin and undercarbonated.

Overall: Very bland and boring. It almost tastes like nothing at all. I used to think this was one of the most prestigious and delicious beers in the world when I wasn't into craft beer.

Looking back, I understand now the only reason I used to buy this is because it tastes slightly less terrible than everything else mainstream beer has to offer.

3.13/5  rDev +2.3%

At the place I went and had this the yuppie folk were buying this up left and right,I guess its the sheek beer around here.Poured into a fancy glass a straw yellow color with pretty nice head,smell was nothing in particular maybe a little hop?Taste was nothing spectacular a little malty with some thrown in at the end.Belgian Budweiser maybe?Anyways not offended by it but nothing to write home about.

3.03/5  rDev -1%

2.47/5  rDev -19.3%

Appearance – This one poured a bright yellow in color with a huge, foamy head that left clumps all over the inside of my glass.

Smell – This Belgian skunk has a bit of grain to it, but mostly it just reeks. I can hardly sit here and type with this thing two feet away from me.

Taste – The light grain, nasty hop grass, and dead skunk make up this flavor profile. The finish is vomitish in nature and literally made me gag.

Mouthfeel – This is light-bodied with good carbonation.

Sinkability – I couldn’t finish this one if my life depended on it.

3.25/5  rDev +6.2%

3.75/5  rDev +22.5%

2.5/5  rDev -18.3%

2.75/5  rDev -10.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

2.25/5  rDev -26.5%