Stella Artois | Stella Artois

Ratings: 5,404 |  Reviews: 1,506

4.25/5  rDev +37.5%

3.75/5  rDev +21.4%

3.16/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

I haven't had a Stella since "discovering" craft beer a few years back and tried one on tap at a place where there were few better options. This was a staple in grad school and after having tried so many wonderful Belgian brews there was a certain appeal in rediscovering this best seller from the perspective of someone whose palate has (hopefully) evolved since then. In any event, the pint arrived in the classic Stella glass and although a lot of the time I am less concerned about presentation than other factors such as smell and taste, it was nostalgic to see the glass again. Stella is a pale straw hued, bubbly beer with some white lace and a rather sweet malt and yeast aroma. More yeast on the nose than other pale Euro lagers along with some fruity and floral notes. Hints of spice. The taste is similar, with pale malts and some Belgian yeast character that adds hints of banana and bubblegum that are pallid echoes of those found in craft Belgian offerings but nevertheless welcome. There are dry aromatic hay flavors and a rounded corny sweetness. Unfortunately some stale chemical flavors and DMS show up as the beer warms: Keep it cold if possible. Probably less skunky on tap than in the green bottle but I have not tried the latter recently. Better than the similar Heineken (more yeast character) but certainly a close cousin.

2.5/5  rDev -19.1%

3.31/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

3.24/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

I picked up a can of Stella Artois for $1.99 last week at Glenns Market. I've haven't had a Stella since right around when I turned 21. I don't remember much about it and I don't know if I liked it or not, I thought I would give it another shot for curiosity's sake, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling. Poured from a 16oz can into an imperial pint glass since I don't have the odd shaped chalice that they suggest.

A- The can looks nice, it's got a nice and clean design to it. It poured a clear golden color that took on more of a yellow color when held to the light with two and a half fingers worth of fluffy white head that died down to a thin ring that eventually faded away an left some nice lacing behind. I thought this was a nice looking beer, nothing seems out of place for the style.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of sweetness followed by some malts that impart a grainy, pale malt and bread crust like aroma. Up next comes some Belgian yeast that impart a light fruity aroma with an orange aroma seeming to stick out. The aroma was nice and unique for the style.

T- The taste seems to be fairly similar to the aroma and it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness followed by some sweet and pale malt flavor with some bready and stale malt flavors coming through. Up next comes some of that fruity Belgian yeast that I got in the aroma with slight bit of banana coming through. On the finish there's pretty much no bitterness with a grainy, malty, and yeasty aftertaste. This was a nice tasting beer that was unique for it's style.

M- Smooth, crisp, Clean, light bodied with a higher amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was ok and it worked well with this beer.

Overall I thought this was decent beer and a good example of the style, it doesn't taste too similar to some of the other Euro Pale Lagers I have tried and I think that's mainly because of the yeast used in this beer, it imparts a unique flavor for the style. This beer had nice drinkability, it was smooth, crisp, not filling, and the taste did a decent job at holding my attention, I could see myself drinking a few of these if I wanted to catch a buzz. I liked how unique this beer was the most. I liked the slight stale malt flavor the least. I would buy this if I wanted to take some beer to party and wasn't in the mood for craft beer and I think I would order this in a bar if there wasn't any better options. I would recommend this to people looking for a somewhat flavorful session ale. All in all this beer turned out to be better then I thought it would, It's not bad at all, I think it's a solid choice when not much is available.

2.25/5  rDev -27.2%