Stella Artois | Stella Artois

Added by BeerAdvocate on 09-13-2000

Ratings: 5,294 |  Reviews: 1,483
2.75/5  rDev -10.1%

3.44/5  rDev +12.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

I had this for the first time out of the bottle upon touring the Budweiser Brewery in Fairfield, CA. Not my first choice of a brewery to tour, but a brewery nonetheless. At any rate this particular beer had always held some curiosity for me as I had seen numerous commercials advertising this beer. And to be honest I wasn't even sure it was a beer from the commercials. At first glance I thought it must be some sort of a champagne or wine. (Clever advertising campaign I must say...especially for something as simple as a Budweiser product). Having just drank this beer for the first time... I was pleasantly surprised. Especially not being a all that much of a fan of Budweiser products.

The appearance was a pleasant golden color, slightly reminiscent of a Bud Light, and yet I didn't turn away. It was served from the bottle into the beautiful Chalice that we've all seen advertised, and that only helped add to the overall experience.

The smell was probably the most offputting part of this whole beer, as it was a slightly bitter/skunky scent. Not entirely unappealing though.

The taste held that yeasty biscuity flavor most heavily. One that Ive come to appreciate in alot of beers.

Overall, although it certainly wont be my first choice of a beer to drink, I can honestly say I dont think that it will be the last time I try this beer. I'll take it over most other products Budweiser has its name stamped on any day.

3.75/5  rDev +22.5%

3.25/5  rDev +6.2%

2.75/5  rDev -10.1%

2.25/5  rDev -26.5%

3.5/5  rDev +14.4%

straw, no head to speak of. looks like a typical, bland commercial product
smell is straw also, if that is possible.
taste is bland, slightly bitter. typical euro lager, as promised. tasted better on tap when i had it at the reunion.
oh well, i guess i'm just spoiled. most everything sold at 7-11 is just not up my alley. not without a whiskey chaser, at least.

3.3/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Served on tap in a Stella Artois glass (tulip?)

A=Richer gold color; more inviting than other lagers.

S=From memory, some sweetness and some peach?

T=Different than I had imagined, with more sweetness and a "Belgian" backbone to it.

M=Rather light, but more body than BMC light beers.

O=I decided to try this as a complement to Buffalo Wild Wings' "Hot" wings, and it did not pair that well. I am not familiar with the style, so my points are geared more towards traditional lagers...better than average flavor, but not nearly as good as many crafts out there.

4.25/5  rDev +38.9%

3.5/5  rDev +14.4%

a - poured a two-fingers thick fluffy white head into a tulip glass that settled into a thin ring. the body was a crystal clear, slightly bubbly, bright golden color.
s - classic clean lager yeast aroma with just the slightest hint of floral hops.
t - grainy with a hint of honey sweetness.
m - slick, slightly thin.
o - first time i've ever had this beer and as far as pale lagers go this one was good. if the selection at a restaurant is lacking then i'll go to this one from now on.

4.25/5  rDev +38.9%

3.27/5  rDev +6.9%

Served from a 330ml bottle into a pilsner glass

A: Extremely pale and clear looking. Minimal weak looking head even after an aggressive pour. Not very good head retention and very little lacing. Honestly doesn't look to appetizing to me.

S: A decently noticeable smell I guess. Perhaps a little spicy at times. I would like to add too that for this beers sake I'm not reviewing a skunky one. Slight bready smell to it as well. Not too much in the scent but its decent I guess.

T: The taste is definitely the best aspect of this beer. Its pretty watery but it still maintains a little bit of a clove like spice to it. Light-Mild hop bitterness but nothing extreme. Its pretty good tasting despite its watery nature. Not too much flavor but its noticeable. I would have rated this like a 3.8 but couldn't. Not quiet good enough for me to round up and give it a full 4 though.

M: Just average. Goes down like any other macro-lager. Maybe somewhat high carbonation but its pretty average feeling on the tongue and on the way down.

Overall: This beer is my choice in sessioning beer, even if I rarely do anymore. Its very over hyped and really doesn't deserve that pouring ritual they have for it. Not worth the money for most people but my store sells it at the same price as Bud or Coors which is strange. My fridge is usually always stocked with it. It does get skunky , maybe like 2-3 per 24, but nothing like a Heineken or a Corona. Above average but not "stellar".

Stella Artois from Stella Artois