Stella Artois | Stella Artois

Added by BeerAdvocate on 09-13-2000

View: Beers
Ratings: 5,558 |  Reviews: 1,540
3.48/5  rDev +12.6%

Purchased a 12 ounce bottle at the North Coast Co-op in Arcata, California.

A skunked aroma wafts out of the bottle as soon as I take the cap off.

Pours translucent yellow-gold with a foamy pillow of a head that is sticking around longer than expected, a good inch -- descends gradually. Thin mosaic of lace left on the glass.

Smell is a skunked sour grassiness -- so skunky it's almost pleasant! This beer isn't trying to disguise its funk. Have to give it props for at least being honest with me.

Taste opens with some tangy lemony hop notes encompassed by a muted malt sweetness. In the middle the flavors balance out into a steady bitterness and fall off into a very underscored alcohol buzz.

Mouthfeel is a few solid steps above watery -- just right.

I'll take this over a Heineken any day! And I bet it's much better on tap than from the green bottle.

2.66/5  rDev -13.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

I thought I would give Stella a chance on tap, figuring that it would be better than the bottled version. I must be missing something, because this has no relationship to good Belgian brews. It doesn't even compare with mass-produced German brews like Beck's or Lowenbrau. It looks okay, but mundane. It looks about like a Michelob on tap. There is very little head, no discernible lacing, and no aroma. The taste is also curiously subdued (that's a nice word for no taste). It is thin in the mouth, but does go down easy, and it was cheap on tap. I talked to the manager about putting a good local beer on tap in its place.

3.58/5  rDev +15.9%

The beer is a pale, unassuming straw yellow, topped with a thick white froth. Evenly bubbled head, fueled by huge amounts of rapidly rising carbonation bubbles. Great head retention, keeping about half an inch through most of the glass, finally settling into a thick haze on the last third of the pint. Lots of sticky belgian lace form rings all the way down.
The aroma is very clean, rather simple, but gets it done where it needs to. Slightly bready pils malt balances spicy, slightly soapy saaz hops. A touch of lemon. The hopping is nice and fresh, which I'm sure helps my experience versus what others have said.
The flavor starts with a clean, polished pils malt, a touch bready, leading into a vague lemony sweetness. The malt gives way to a pleasant spicy saaz hoppiness. Perhaps another hop variety, but I can't place what it is. The hopping is mild, allowing the malt to come through with a bit of snappy dryness that finishes the beer with a punctuation, leaving no aftertaste aside from a dryish feel on the tongue. Lightish bodied, supported by moderate, bubbly carbonation.
Very easy drinking stuff. It's typical european continental lager, but I don't have a problem with that. Not too different from any of the other dozen or so varieties we get here in the US, but it's an enjoyable pint when fresh. Much, much better than the bottle, where the carbonation has always been too fizzy for me.

3.35/5  rDev +8.4%

Had a couple at an Indian pub called the Curry Pot right on the South China Sea in Stanley, Hong Kong, while enjoying Thai curry and watching English Premier League football on the big-screen telly! It was a heavy-duty cultural mellange that rendered Stella Artois a bit thin by contrast. But then, the papadums and curry were spicy, so the lightness and drinkability were helpful. It took TWO 600 ml glasses to cool my tongue, and it was a pretty nice way to do it. My son had a less spicy meal (bad choice -- don't order a hamburger at an Indian pub in Hong Kong!) and a Guinness Foreign Extra Stout (excellent choice anywhere on the planet!). He made both the worse and better selection than I.

Stella's not a very powerful beer in terms of taste, but it had a nice head and a cool refreshing taste. This is not something to drink on its own -- it does well with spicy, hot foods, or with pizza.

I can't, however, understand why some call this beer "the wife beater." It's very drinkable, so I suppose you could put several away in short order, but the alcohol is not THAT high! Besides, everybody knows that if you're drinking for the alcohol, you'll go for vodka, not beer, right?

Riiight! [;-)

3.53/5  rDev +14.2%

I had this one on tap in Rochester, NY.

The beer was a bright yellow with a fluffy white head. Classic looking pour by the bartender in a nice pilsner glass.

Not a ton of smell, I get definite sweet aroma that I presume is from the malt. Just a bit of delicate hops/flowers.

Taste is decent if slightly tilted towards the sweet side of the spectrum. I would prefer a bit more hop bite to balance the beer, but it was still tasty in a non-threatening way. No off or adjunct tastes at all. This is an easy beer to team with nonspicy food.

Beer was very soft and creamy and extremely easy to drink. I had several as it was the best beer the bar offered. I liked this beer more than I thought I would and I don’t think it deserves all the bashing it gets.

2.89/5  rDev -6.5%

Crystal-clear light gold with a small white head that leaves a lot of lacing down the glass. Smell is big, but not that great - a little too grainy and reminiscent of cornmeal. Flavor is fine, feel could be smoother with the carbonation. A step above most pale lagers, but nothing too special.

2.38/5  rDev -23%

Stella Artois was served to me in a very fancy glass but that's about all I can say thats good with this beer.

Appearance- piss yellow with a decent head.
Smell- malt and skunkiness. No surprise!
Tatse- Malty like a Michalob Ultra (not a compliment) with your typical skunk taste. Watery and yet sweet. too sweet.

Overall, typical yuk green bottle laber, Wasn't any better from tap.
Tasted like Magic Hat's- Mother Lager.
-won't drink again.

3.43/5  rDev +11%

Pours a clear light golden beer.

Smells a bit sweet and of grain, a lot like a clean Lager.

Taste a little sweet with a mild bit of hops. Clean lager taste. I had this before and remember it to be better than this.

Mouthfeel is about right for a lager.

Certainly drinkable, no match for a Czech Pilsner though.

3.28/5  rDev +6.1%

Served on tap at D's (thanks for the glass, Dino!)

Appearance: Pale golden, scant head, no lacing. Beer is clear.

Smell: Malty, faint aromas of hops and grain.

Taste: Mostly a malty sweetness, nothing much else going on taste-wise.

Mouthfeel: Crisp&clean, dry finish, no real feel of the alcohol.

Drinkability: Tastes like a well crafted macro. Nothing special. Good, but not noteworthy.

3.16/5  rDev +2.3%

I had high hopes of finding a lager to enjoy, so a Belgian brewery should certainly know all about taste. I wanted to like this beer more than I did.
It looks pretty in the glass, but there was very little aroma that I could detect. It was clean tasting, but it lacked the personality to say "Hey! I've been specially brewed to be be this way, and what do you think?" It doesn't challenge the senses. I found it fairly bland and undistinctive, though it didn't have a poor finish like the mainstream brewery beers impart.
Like I said, disappointing; especially for a county that produces Chimay and Duvel, etc.

2.53/5  rDev -18.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pretty common stuff and hard to get excited about. One of those lowest common denominator beers that doesn't look like much, doesn't smell like much, doesn't taste like much. Good thing falling asleep while you're drinking a beer isn't (generally) dangerous.

3.27/5  rDev +5.8%

Though its part of the evil empire (Interbrew), wouldn't it be nice if this was the swill beer of our country?

This one pours out a super-light straw color with a nice head that leaves a decent lacing. There are nice hints of saaz-ish hops on the nose ... though i've had skunked Stellas, this was a prize example.

The taste is above-average when compared with most macro Euro-lagers. It has a nice crisp refreshing hoppiness and isn't sweet at all. I don't catch too much of a corn or rice adjunct here, which is nice. Stella is clearly nothing too spectacular, but it is more than drinkable. I prefer this over Heineken, Becks, 1664, et al. My best memory of this beer was drinking it on the streets and public transit of London.

3.18/5  rDev +2.9%

The beer arrived as pale as pale can be without being white. The head was slight by the time it hit the table (and I do mean hit the table, the waitress spilled an ounce of so of it). The head did lace the glass.

The aroma has a slight odd lemon characteristic to it. There is also a slight yeast aroma.

The flavor contains slight bitterness, but no real malt or bitterness character stands out. The beer is very crisp, but as it warms that same lemony aroma comes out in the flavor.

The finish is dry but not overly bitter. It is quite refreshing. The body is very thin, light and almost watery.

On tap at Bailey's Smokehouse in Richmond.

3.35/5  rDev +8.4%

The beer poured a light gold color with a white lace head. The aroma is decent. It has a clean and refreshing scent. It smells of pale malts and lager yeast. The taste is rather good. It goes down smooth and easy. It's simple; pale malts, water, hops, and yeast. It also has that skunky green bottle taste to it. The mouthfeel is good. It is a low bodied beer with good carbonation. This is a good lager. Id drink this again and I typically hate lagers.

2.25/5  rDev -27.2%

Pale gold color, huge white head. Gigantic smell of grass clippings and grain. Has a very mellow flavor, not like a watered down macro, but it is more subtle. Has a very euro lager flavor, with a nice balance of hops. Not my favorite style, you can keep your euro lagers...

This beer poured with a very large and creamy head that lasted till the last drop. The color was a very light gold. Nice and clear and crisp looking. The smell as best I could describe was a sweet skunky smell. The taste was good. I have to admit I was surprised. It has a very crisp taste. A slight sweetness and a nice dryness to the aftertaste that I enjoyed.

3.1/5  rDev +0.3%

Pours out a light yellow color with a good size head. The bottle contains 11.2 fl oz and is slender and green. One cool note is on the bottle it states that this beer has been brewed in Belgium in the same tradition since 1366. That is a long ass time. Of all the wonderful belgian beers, this is probably one of my least favorites.

Smell is a touch malty and very sweet smelling. The flavor is more solid than I remembered. Even has a nice hint of hops in there. I must say that I prefer this beer in the bottle over the draft. Much more clean and crisp.

3.48/5  rDev +12.6%

Stella Artois is a nice looking beer and presents a pleasant frothy and creamy head with lots of sticky lace. Stella Artois has a strong aroma and may be labelled 'skunky' by some drinkers. A malty initial taste with an extremely sharp and dry aftertaste. I wasn't expecting Stella Artois to have this much flavour.

3.36/5  rDev +8.7%

Appearance: Crystal clear golden pour. Frothy white meringue head that slowly fades leaving creamy lace.
Smell: Crisp clean lager nose with a slight malt sweetness, slight musky/earthy notes.
Taste: Clean semi-dry malt start, tingly/slightly sour at the top, then a quick hop-dry finish.
Mouthfeel: Lager-light malt, crisp/tight carbonation
Drinkability: A somewhat better than average lager... would certainly pick it over any American macro.

Pours a light yellow urinal colour that has a thick head that is scraped down by the bartender to an acceptable level. Head quits quickly. Lwo carbonation.

Clean refreshing aromas of floral hops and spicy malt that doesn't pack the greatest of punches but is nice enough.

Palate is on the fruity side with some hints of tropical fruits on top of a malty base. Good length, slightly drying. Funky little aftertaste that is odd, but acceptable.

One of the better mass produced beers. They are taking advantage of this in Australia and charging a hell of alot for it, and suckers like me fall for it because there are no better options at some bars (beer wise that is - there's always spirits!).

3.03/5  rDev -1.9%

average bar without many choices, never had it, bar tender swore it was great, what the hell. pours yellow, but not as pale as macro american lagers, dinky white bubbly head tops its off. served pretty damn cold, not much of a nose...slighty grainy and a bit floral is all i can pull off it. taste wise, pretty close to the standard "import" lager (save the few greats). lighty grainy, semi sweet, wth a light clean hop twang. crisp and well carbonated, its a plain lager. nothing more, nothing less.

2.03/5  rDev -34.3%

It pours a true gold, wheat-colored actually, with a head that hangs tough, but leaved no trace on the glass as it recedes. Very clear, carbonated, the head's white.

Little aroma, with sparse malt and hops traits, nothing to recommend.

The flavor is malt first, hops way back in the mix. But that's not to say even the malt has all that much presence. You can taste an adjunct, like rice,with no balance to speak of simply because there's little discernible flavor to speak of.

It's very light bodied, basically yellow water, leaving a pseudo-hop bitterness which is no compensation for the lack of flavor.

The fact that the look is the high point of this beer does not bode well. You can drink as many of these as you'd like, but why would you? It's not vile, I don't want to imply that, but I had one, and immediately switched to Yuengling at half the price, and believe in my heart of hearts that I'd be getting the best deal even if the Lager were the more expensive beer. They say it sells well to the ladies, but I don't want to believe the fairer sex has been duped so utterly. Apparently Stella is Belgian for medicore, at best.

1.48/5  rDev -52.1%

I had this beer directly off the tap. It was being poured through a high pressure Euro-faucet & was pushed by nitrogen (instead off carbon dioxide), So, this in itself gave it a tight, wonderful head that sat about an inch over the rim of the "Stella" glass. Poured clean with a light amber hue.

Unfortunately, this is where the story takes a turn. I generally don't wait for the head to dissapate, at least not when I try a beer for the first time. I like to dive right in to get a combination of the foam & liquid while I breath in through my nose as I swallow. I would have been better off holding my nose so I wouldn't smell a thing! I don't know what they use when they brew this, but this stuff was by far the skunkiest, most pungent brew I've ever had. It smelled far worse than it actually tasted. The taste & general carbination were pretty common for your Eastern European lagers. I've had this both on tap & in the bottle and the aroma seems to be more prevelent on tap. It could be the pressure whipping up the brew and releasing more toxins...I don't know
Unfortunately, Belgium's most popular beer is not thier best example. If I were recommending a nice starter Belgium...I would say try a Witkap Pater Single(5%abv), Leffe Blonde (5%abv) or Val-Due Blonde (6%abv).

3.2/5  rDev +3.6%

basic lager from belgium that doesnt come withing an elephants trumpet of their best, but geez, for what you pay for a pint of this in australia, ill spend a night with stella any day. a better than solid standby if all else fails.

bit too light for my liking, but has a great pillowy head that retains itself admirably for a standard lager. floral nose, with a nice dose of malt and citrus zest. impressively malty taste for the color, that has lemon elements, and good level of hops that finishes with a stylish bitterness and pleasant aftertaste that enables you to keep coming back for more. beautifully crisp and clean, without any traces of crappy adjuncts. that in itself desrves a point. alas its become the choice of yuppies and wannabes in australia who dont like heineken, but so what. i can put up with that if the need arises. and seeing as this is a CUB export, it often does, coz you find this on tap alongside VB, carlton draught and fosters in any half reputable pub or bar.

there are better belgian lagers, but even so, for whats available in my neck of the woods, this is a goer. stella has saved my bacon on a potentially dismal drinking night on many occaisions. having said that, ive never bought a six pack of this in my life. i reserve it strictly for emergencies.

3.83/5  rDev +23.9%

A very drinkable brew, if not the most bold.

Golden with a puffy gorgeous head that stays most of the beer. The lacing is thick and leaves a line down the entire glass. Very pretty.

Taste is initially a medium sweetness. Theres some undercurrents here that I can't identify but make it very pleasant. The hops balance out the sweetness and leave an even flavor in the mouth.

Mouthfeel is a touch wtery for my taste.

An especially easy beer to drink. The kind of beer I could get when i'm not really in a mood for anything bold. A safe beer if nothing else.

Char