Shenandoah Chocolate Donut Beer | Shenandoah Brewing Co.

good

Added by hopsaplenty on 07-09-2005

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | nextlast
Reviews: 74 | Ratings: 79
3.83/5  rDev +9.7%

Thanks to billab914 for this!

Pours a cola-like dark brown with a foamy two-finger head.

Smells like Dunkin Donuts. It's really amazing! Picking up notes of brown sugar, chocolate cake.

Tastes like a chocolate frosted donut. I don't know hwo the hell Shenandoah does this! Fudgy and chocolate syrup qualities are also present. Extremely sweet and sugary. The sugar reminds me of eating sprinkles.

This has nice carbonation, maybe a little too fizzy, with pretty good drinkability considering the sweetness that this beer exudes. I don't love it, I surely don't hate it and I'm certainly glad I have another bottle of it!

3.13/5  rDev -10.3%

12 oz. bottle poured into pint glass.

A: Dark brown but less than opaque in color. Decent two finger light brown head that leaves minimal lacing.

S: Smell has a slight presence of roasted malt and a ton of sugar sweetness. Undesirable and bizarre "bubblegum" esters as well.

T: Tastes indeed like the chocolate shell of a white cake chocolate donut, however that bubblegum flavor also pulls through. Very sweet chocolate and a slight roasted maltiness, no hop presence. Alcohol is present in the aftertaste.

M/D: Had an average body and a fair amount of carbonation.

Very artificial. This is a very cool concept for a beer, but I feel could be done better.

3.17/5  rDev -9.2%

Pours a very dark brown color, nearly black, but not opaque. The head is moderate, and pours as a frothy ring on the outside of the glass. When held up to the light, the near black color gives way to some lighter brown highlights.

The smell is very sweet, with a minimal roasted malt presence and practically no hops. Overall, the aroma is very similar to bubble gum - very sweet. There are some hints of chocolate, a bit of fruit and a slight alcohol presence, but this is largely overshadowed by the bubble gum scent.

The taste is similar to the smell, and rather 1-dimensional. Not much bitterness and nearly no hops. There is a definite chocolate flavor, with a hint of fruit, but once again there is a dominant bubble gum flavor that comes from the sweetness. The finish is a bit better, exhibiting some roasted malt in the aftertaste.

Overall, this isn't the worst beer, it just doesn't taste much like an American stout. It is overmuch sweet, and the resultant bubble gum flavor is very off putting. Would have liked to see more of a hop character and a more accented roasted malt presence.

3.63/5  rDev +4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle received as an extra in one of my first trades. Poured a black body with a light brown rocky head with moderate amounts of lacing on the sides of the glass. Smells are all over the place. Burnt nutty flavors, perfume, doughy, dark fruits, some chocolate. Taste is just as crazy as the smell. Chocolate cake doughnut with vanilla frosting is what I smell up front. Creamy, oily, soft mouthfeel.

3.87/5  rDev +10.9%

Huge thanks to tprokop7 for throwing this in as a kicker.

A: Dark brown but not black. Light leaves a chestnut glow at the edges. Decent tan head.

S: Chocolate and chocolate. It makes me think of those cheap chocolate covered donuts that come along with the powdered sugar and plain ones.

T: WOW! Someone liquefied a chocolate covered donut and bottled it. It is crazy how close the flavor is. It has that really sweet chocolate with maybe a touch of breadiness.

M: Pretty thick actually. Leaves me feeling like I ate a dry donut.

D: For what it is it's great. I'm not sure how long I could drink this for but I am certainly glad I got to try it.

3.97/5  rDev +13.8%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into my shaker glass. Appears a cloudy dark brown color reminiscent of cola with about a finger of tan foam. A few people write this off as a gimmick beer. Let them think that. I know better. This beer smells and tastes exactly as the label states. Rich chocolate cake, sweet vanilla glaze, yeah it's all there along with caramel malt, a touch of molasses, and bread . Close your eyes and you can taste a rich, cakey chocolate donut, glaze and all. Medium to moderate in both body and carbonation. An interesting beer to say the least. Check it out if you can.

Thanks to ClorkworkOrange for this nice treat in my Super Bowl LIF package.

A: Pours a nice dark black hue with a nice tall creamy head that rises to a full two fingers. The retention is pretty good with some spotty lace noted.

S: Very cake like. Chocolate, fudge, with notes of sugar and roasted malt.

T: Nice flavors this is one I have wanted to try and it did not disappont. Wonderful roasted malt up front. Both bitter and sweet chocolate, sugar, and grain.

M: Medium in body, smooth very nice.

D: Nice, I liked it. Seems as this is a love or hate beer. I am a bit more on the love it side.

4.35/5  rDev +24.6%

I stopped in the brewery today .

Appearance - Very nice. Deep dark black with creamy white head a light tan tint to the head. Head sit for a while on it.

Smell- First is of a Baltic porter. Very sweet with lots of chocolate, vanilla, some honey and a little amaretto maybe. No real hops smell.

Taste - Wow, I was blown away by this beer. We had spoken to one of the employees and he suggested it as a Breakfast beer and was it ever. Very sweet and chocolaty with almost a bread characteristic. Again chocolate, then vanilla with a little roast to it.

Mouthfeel - Heavy but creamy. Nice carbonation. Stayed with you for a while.

Drinkability - I could drink lots and lots of this. To bad they don't sell it anywhere,

Nice job!

3.92/5  rDev +12.3%

Thanks to Mymrnngjckt for this one.

Poured a 12oz bottle into my Boulevard Smokestack chalice. This beer pours an opaque, dark brown with a huge rocky, graham cracker brown head. Surprisingly, this beer leaves some major lacing for a stout. The aroma is chocolate up front, with a bit of vanilla, and a nice sugary sweetness. The flavor is pretty similar to what I imagine a chocolate donut tastes like (its been quite a while since I've had one). There is loads of sweet chocolate up front, vanilla, a bit of amaretto and what reminds me of coconut in the after flavor. There is a nice confectionary sweetness that runs through the entirety of the flavor profile. The mouthfeel is a bit thin for my likings. I wish it had had a bit more body to it. This is a good beer, and I'm very happy to have had the opportunity to have tried it.

3.36/5  rDev -3.7%

Dark brown with a beige head and decent retention. Chocolate, ashy, and roasty aroma. Taste was a little metallic, had some chocolate and bready notes, somewhat similar to chocolate glazing. High carbonation and light body. Decent beer, but I couldn't have too much of it.

2.75/5  rDev -21.2%

First off, this has to be just a novelty beer. No where in the nose or the smell does it resemble a chocolate donut. Pours a translucent brown in color. Smell is slight chocolate, but there's another scent that is interfering with it. Can't quite figure out what it is. Taste is thin, watery and again, not decadent chocolate. The only thing chocolate donut about this offering is its name.
Close to a drainpour. Hoping that I had a bad bottle, but nothing tasted "infected".

3.6/5  rDev +3.2%

A - Pours nearly black with very thick tan colored head. Head diminishes slowly, but retains throughout the session.

S - Milk chocolate, yeast, oak (or some other woodiness). A hint of something almost fruit-like, carob perhaps? Definitely gives the impression of a processed chocolate product.

T - Very sweet, much like soda, with a flavor to match the nose.

M - Very high carbonation, a thin mouthfeel for its style. Leaves a fairly dry finish with a cloying sweetness that hangs on a bit too long.

D - A unique beer with an unusual flavor profile, but probably not one that I would seek out again.

4.3/5  rDev +23.2%

Appearance - a dark caramel pour, but is darker in the glass to where I can only see a reddish mahogany through the thinnest section at the bottom. A nice looking finger or so of light mocha head. Short lived, the lacing on the glass comes and goes but doesn't generate enough to stick around.

Aroma - not so much donut-ty, but a good presence of roasted grain, chocolate, and coffee.

Taste - not donut-ty at all. Good dark roast on the grains. Dark chocolate syrup at mid-palate and following, very nice. The chocolate carries into the finish, staying bittersweet and drying the palate a bit. Nice chocolatey finish, very tasty.

Mouthfeel - very crisp for a stout. Body is middling, which, when coupled with a colder than average serving temp, makes for a refreshing beverage.

Drinkability - I would have expected something along the lines of a cream or milk stout with such a beer name. That it isn't. What it is is a delicious chocolate flavored beer without high abv. Kudos to Hopheed for hooking me up with these at DLD07. Thanks Rob, they're going fast!!

3.85/5  rDev +10.3%

Acquired from dsigmon courtesy of the Ugly Duckling BIF, so a big "Thank You" goes out to him. Poured from a 12oz bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a deep black color, with a large light brown head that fades slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is loaded with creamy chocolate and roasted malts along with a touch of hops.

T: The taste is malty, bready and full of chocolate as the name implies. There's a mild hops presence that provides a little balance, but the chocolate and malt dominate and are done well. There after-taste is sweet.

M: Smooth with a little crispness, medium-to-heavy body, medium carbonation, finish is sticky.

D: Tasty, goes down easily, a little filling, decent kick, good representation of style, this is a very good stout that I could drink a couple of if I were in the mood for the style, but after that the heaviness might slow me down.

3.88/5  rDev +11.2%

Pours a root beer like color with a thick ¾ inch caramel colored head. Smells of roasted malts, chocolate, and licorice dominate. First sip is super chocolaty, like a dark chocolate Hershey Bar or a Diet Right Chocolate Fudge Soda. Mouthfeel is VERY creamy. The taste truly fits the beer's name. This is brew is both tasty and unique. ENJOY!

1.9/5  rDev -45.6%

The very concept of this beer rules. "Chocolate donuts" + "stout". Should equal "decandent & delicious". I love chocolate donuts, although I don't eat them often because I love them so much. This one comes with some built-in high expectations...I hope it delivers.

A gentle pour surprisingly results in way too much foam...several fingers thick, it takes a long time before I'm able to pour the rest of the beer. A second extremeeeley slow pour offers a soapy off-white head and a super-dark chocolately black color. Thick walls of lace are formed as the head slowly drops off. Looks really nice.

Aroma reminds of some sub-par U.S. stouts I've had. But worse. It's metallic, very much reminding of copper...wet pennies, actually. Very mineral. Despite trying, I find nothing redeemable in the aroma. I pray to the beer gods that there's a decent beer in here somewhere...

Eegads...this stout is awful. The metallic aroma carries over into the flavor. I feel like I have a mouthfeel of thin, cold, liquid steel. It's highly mineral, with hardly a trace of chocolate, sugar glaze or fried dough to be found. The metallic taste gives way to a more plastic flavor as it warms. There's also a very fake, artificial sweetness here. Also kind of sour, reminding of an infected homebrew batch. Some alcohol peeks through, but without anything substantial to back it up, it's bothersome.

Mouthfeel? Who cares? At this point nothing can save this stout, and it's a little too fluffy, too carbonated, so...whatever.

This gives a bad name to our friend, the chocolate donut. Shame on Shenandoah. And who is this Dr. Dremo? I don't see his name anywhere on the label. Perhaps he's too embarrassed to claim responsibility. Seriously, this is awful stuff. Avoid.

[Somehow I missed seeing this in my area, so my pal and fellow BA msubulldog25 sent a bottle from Oregon. From VA, to OR, and back to VA. Whatever works...thanks, Brian, for the chance to try it out.]

4.09/5  rDev +17.2%

thanks to dyan for this beer; poured into an ommegang tulip.

A - pours a dark mass with a nice tannish head due to an aggressive pour, but the head quickly runs away never to be seen again. some bubbles reamin clinging to the edge of the glass but nothing of significance.

S - Theres a smell here that I can't quit identify, but want to say buttery popcorn or even fried dough. Either way it smells really nice and definitely adds to the appeal of this beer. Maybe a slight malt backbone in the aroma but really the smell is dominated by the scent of butter or dough.

T- if your able to take a big smell along with a decent gulp it really could resemble a chocolate pastry of some sort. flavors of chocolate are most dominate, but i can identifyu some roasted notes and coffee.

M - medium to light bodied with low carbonation.

D - it would be pretty easy to go through a few of these

3.38/5  rDev -3.2%

Thanks to Mhewes for the chance to try this beer:

A - Pours an opaque brown with a large spoungy cream colored head that disipated slowly leaving a spotty lace.

S - Smells a lot like a chocolate donut. Little bit of yeast and cream on the back end.

T - Weak chocolate donut flavor, some roasted grain, and yeast accents.

M - Smooth with a moderate carbonation with a sweet aftertaste.

D - Not a bad beer. Definately worth a try, but not really my style.

3.9/5  rDev +11.7%

A : Pours a nice dark brown with a good tan head (nice retention). Good lacing left behind

S : It smells like a chocolate donut. It really does.

T : I can't believe I'm saying this but it's a chocolate donut. It does have a roasted malt aftertaste (I knew there was some beer flavor in here).

M : Full bodied with low carbonation

D : It's a unique concept but I'm not sure if I'd go for it that often.

3.36/5  rDev -3.7%

Appearance: Black with brown highlights and a khaki head - pretty standard stuff here. Head retention is fair.

Smell: I guess it shouldn't come as too much of a surprise, but this does actually smell like a chocolate donut. It's got that sickly sweet, highly processed chocolate aroma you'd expect to smell upon walking into a donut shop. It's appetizing for a split second, but becomes cloying in time.

Taste & mouthfeel: I was expecting this to be cloying and gross based on the aroma, but it's actually got a semblance of balance. Flavors of chocolate, vanilla and sugary dough are still rampant, but it's got a pleasing dryness in the backbone and a surprising coffee kick in the finish.

Drinkability: Fun to try once but I can't see myself seeking this out again.

Notes: Gimmicky? Yes, absolutely, but to my surprise it's really not bad.

4.17/5  rDev +19.5%

Thanks to team NorCal for sending this in our BIF!

A- poured dark amber brown with a tick creamy head. Somewhat translucent when held up to the light.

S- I can't believe it, but it does smell just like a glazed donut. Although it is a chocolate beer, hints of vanilla bean can also be smelled.

T- Very, Very sweet! Tastes almost like a chocolate cherry cordial with hints of rum cake.

M- Moderately thick with little carbonation. As the beer gets warmer the alcohol feel becomes more apparent.

D- This is an interesting beer that is definitely worth seeking out. However, the sweetness makes this a one at a time beer.

Serving type- 12 oz bottle

3.05/5  rDev -12.6%

I found it a little difficult to review this beer. I don't love it as an "American Stout," but I think that the flavor is interesting, and I am glad that I tried it.

Appearance - Poured with a tan head of small, defined bubbles. Not creamy. Head faded rather quickly. The beer itself is opaque and almost completely black.

Smell - Certainly has the bready, semi-chocolate smell of a chocolate donut, but there was also a bit of astringency in the aroma that I did not like.

Taste - Some bread, a little astringency, but otherwise, I certainly agree with the chocolate donut description. Again, I don't know what makes the beer astringent, but I do not like that aspect of it.

Mouthfeel - I like the thickness of this beer. It's not syruppy, but the body is in line with its appearance (I'd say style, but I'm not exactly sure how to categorize its style).

I would not drink more than one of these at a time, but I think that it is a fun beer to share with people.

4.02/5  rDev +15.2%

Black but not opaque in color as light gets through. Huge 4 finger head with a conservative pour. Lot's of carbonation. Audible bubbles. Head finally recedes and holds at 1/2" until the glass is empty. Lacing is good but not as impressive as the head.
I really didn't think this beer would smell like a chocolate donut. But, by golly, that's exactly what it smells like. I like the aroma a lot and I don't even like chocolate donuts.
Very interesting flavor for a beer while still keeping the cornerstone of it's character as a beer. I think it taste more like Cocoa Puffs or chocolate cake than a chocolate donut. It's certainly the artificial chocolate flavoring that's common in all three. But it works here. It's different, interesting, and yummy.
Mouthfeel is a little too carbonated and light but I still enjoyed the beer in-spite of those tow minor complaints.
Not a session beer, nor necessarily a sipper, but a beer I'd love to visit again and again from time to time.

4.24/5  rDev +21.5%

Thanks to clockworkorange I think? At Capt Lawrence 2nd anniversary party. Decanted into a dixie cup with hints of wild ale, dubbel and DIPA.

A: Just about jet black. Poured thick like liquid donut.

S: It smells like a damn donut. Totally weird. Tons of chocolate. Your mind connects the dots and you start getting glaze and powdered sugar.

T: Donut. I actually said I could taste fat in this beer. Totally weird. I know my mind is just filling in the blanks but damn.

M: Fairly thick. Carbonation was low but worked to complete the illusion.

D: I had a small sample of this and it was perfect. Really crazy beer. Definately worth seeking out at least once.

2.01/5  rDev -42.4%

Thanks to wickedpete, I was able to gather several of these curiosities. A couple months ago the buzz around this one was pretty high, was it warranted?

Poured from a 12 oz bottle to a pint glass. Label on this one has a home-spun feel (re: low-budget), a low-res image of donuts hides behind the brewery logo and some almost indecipherable text ('Government Warning'? Who needs it...).

A: Fizzy khaki-colored head rises rapidly to over a finger high, drops nearly as quickly to a patchy film of percolating tiny bubbles. One of the noisier beers I can recall, crackling softly even after the head dissipates. A deep brown that shows hints at a maroon-cherry redness when held to light.

S: What an odd smell...it has a processed 'chocolate' aroma, a powdery confectioner's sugar, a little caramel, and a quirky kool-aid lemon-lime(?). Maybe iced tea? A strange artificial berry? This is my third one of these I've tried (the other two in March, soon after receiving), I'm now somewhat accustomed to this smell, yet I'm still not sure how to describe it. I really am not sure how to grade it either, as I alternate between loving and detesting it from whiff to whiff...'3.0' is its score for me, but this unusual beer is anything but 'average'.

T: As strange as the smell is, the taste is...well...the taste is 'different'. A waxy cocoa hits upfront, followed by hints of fruity, semi-tart berries (raspberries, maybe?). Backing is a mildly sweet milk chocolate; there's a cake-y, yeasty quality that bears some semblance to 'donut' though the cheap/stale variety. Sounds good in theory, but this stout doesn't deliver...

M: Crazy, cola-like carbonation that's mouth-filling and, ultimately, burp-inducing (over and over...and over). Despite this bubbliness, mouthfeel has a thinness and that fake chocolate coats and lingers far too long, all over the mouth and across the lips. Toothbrush?

D: Having had three of these (I guess I keep hoping I'll find something I like about it...), I can officially say this is one I don't enjoy. I hate wasting beer, any beer, but this became my first drain pour in a very long time. Try some (you may really like it, as others have); me, I'm finally done with trying...

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | nextlast
Shenandoah Chocolate Donut Beer from Shenandoah Brewing Co.