Shenandoah Chocolate Donut Beer | Shenandoah Brewing Co.

Shenandoah Chocolate Donut BeerShenandoah Chocolate Donut Beer

3.5/5
Alströms:

firstprev| 26-50 | 51-75 | 76-100  | next → last
4.09/5  rDev +16.9%

Chocolate fudge with a healthy infusion of ruby and a large, creamy head of graham cracker brown. Dr. Dremo (actually, my bottle is labeled simply 'Chocolate Donut Stout') commits the cardinal sin of not making his stout opaque. I hope that doesn't come back to haunt him on the palate. The cap displays great persistence and I'm still waiting to see if any lace is coming my way. Unfortunately, the glass is nearly clean when the head finally disappears.

I'll be hanged. This beer smells exactly like what I would imagine a liquified chocolate donut would smell like. It's sweet and fudge-like with an impressive vanilla bean quality that I'm guessing is what makes it smell like pastry. Well done I say! If you're going to brew a chocolate donut beer, then dammit, make it smell like a chocolate donut.

Even though the flavor isn't quite as impressive, it's a near thing. Before taking a drink, I expected a hugely malty, explosively chocolatey, hypersweet, thick-bodied beer. I didn't quite get it, but it's close enough to ward off disappointment. More chocolate malt would undoubtedly help. I have no complaints about the sweetness. Maybe the brewers added confectioner's sugar?

Vanilla is still rampant and is almost as strong as chocolate. There aren't a whole lot of accessory flavors, but then a chocolate donut is a fairly simple foodstuff and I'm sure the brewers jettisoned anything that didn't lead to a 'hey, that tastes like a donut' flavor. The almost cloying sweetness would keep me from drinking more than one bottle per sitting, but it's a tasty treat when consumed 12 ounces at a time.

As suspected when I saw light on the opposite side of the glass, the body is less than full and chewy. Thanks to all the sugar, though, it still manages to be sticky, silky and slick. I won't let my dreams of oozingly luscious creaminess get in the way of rewarding the mouthfeel as it so richly deserves. Very few bubbles find their way to my tongue, but then who ever heard of a carbonated donut?

Chocolate Donut Stout (aka Dr. Dremo's Chocolate Donut Beer) is one of those 'what the hell' experiments that actually works. It's a shame that more people haven't been able to taste what those wacky brewers at Shenandoah have created. Would it be too much to ask for a cheese danish beer next?

3.28/5  rDev -6.3%

The unusual name caught my attention, but with a single sip I could see why they chose that name.

Appeared black with a frothy head that was tan colored and left behind quite a bit of lacing. Moderate level of carbonation that generated nice small bubbles along the surface. Aromas of sugar, fried bread, and soda. The taste was very much like regular soda with loads of sweetness that makes you feel like your teeth are rotting only this has alcohol in it. Overwhelming sweetness gets to be too much, like drinking a donut and so the drinkability is low. Slightly oily and viscous in my mouth giving it a nice texture. It's the lack of anything to offset the sweetness that hurts this beer. If there were some hops or spices to counteract the sweetness, it would be more complex and somewhat more balanced while remaining a sweet stout.

4.57/5  rDev +30.6%

Tasted on-tap 01/27/06 at Dr. Dremo's in Arlington, VA.

A fabulous funky milk chocolate looking beer that matches the funky locale of Dr. Dremo's. If it looks, smells and tastes like milk chocolate then it must be delicious ... and it is. A nice chocolatey beer in every way without being overly sweet kinda like th milk after cocoa puffs but much more robust. Very nice medium-full body and smooth - oh so easy to drink.

I'm not much for chocolate donuts; but in beer form, now you're talking !

3.78/5  rDev +8%

You'll either love or hate this beer, but I found it to be a pleasent oddity. First off, I usually despise Shennendoah's beers, but they managed to create something pretty unique here. The best I can describe it is half stout, half milk-leftover-from-a-bowl-of-cocoa-puffs. Pretty sweet, tons of chocolate, very smooth and creamy. I don't know how many of these I could drink, but it did go down very very easily. Sweetness would probably get old after awhile.

firstprev| 26-50 | 51-75 | 76-100  | next → last
Shenandoah Chocolate Donut Beer from Shenandoah Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 48.1% out of 100 with 79 ratings