Belgium Wit | Baja Brewing Company

Baja Brewing Company
Mexico
bajabrewingcompany.com

Style: Witbier

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

Added by lisomiso on 09-05-2011

Reviews: 2 | Ratings: 8
Reviews by lisomiso:
3.92/5  rDev +11%

No really, the beer list said "Belgium Wit." Served with an orange wedge. Gotta keep the people happy I guess!

Looks just like the Blond (and the Razz for that matter), if a touch cloudier. Still remarkably clear for an unfiltered Witbier. Light straw colored.

The aroma's overpowered by that damn orange, even once I get rid of it. Some Belgian yeast character comes out, some frutiness, some spice - coriander? - and then... a strange hint of smoke?

Once I taste it: seriously, there's gotta be some smoked malt in here somewhere. It's very tart and refreshing, very savory. I like it... I don't know what to make of it, though! It's almost like a smoked Berlinerweisse? A tart rauchbier? I'm intrigued!

The tartness, while enjoyable, maybe doesn't make for the best beer: it clashes a bit with the bitterness on the finish, and I think it makes the mouthfeel a bit thin. But I would drink this again! I want to spend more time with it.

(The bartender actually tried to keep me from writing a review for this one. He said it's changed over the years and "it's not what a wit should be." True. But still, I liked it.)

2.84/5  rDev -19.5%

2.98/5  rDev -15.6%

3.25/5  rDev -7.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Golden, light appearance. Banana aroma. Grassy hop. Reminds me more of a Pils in aroma. Green apple taste almost. Alcohol presence in the taste. Well carbed. Overall, I tried a flight of 8 different beers. This may have been my favorite.

3.54/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Belgium Wit from Baja Brewing Company