The Big DIPA | Blue Frog Grog & Grill

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by Talisker on 04-21-2007

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last
3.26/5  rDev +12.8%

750ml. cork/caged brown bottle with gold and white silk-screened full wrap label. It pours an orange-gold with a small white head that slowly builds.

The smell is sweet flowery citrus and a slight piney hop. The taste is much the same with a notable bubblegum flavor to it. More sweet than hop bittery, the hop residuals at the end of the bomber did have a bit of bite.

Light to medium in body, the mouthfeel a bit watery thin with some tingle on the tongue from the carbonation and hops. Definetly worth a try, but it's not as BIG as it's label suggests.

3.6/5  rDev +24.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

750 ml bottle. Poured a cloudy amber color with a modest head and trace lacing.

Aroma was subdued, but the citrusy smell of West Coast IPA hops was there, although not as strong in your nose as in other specimens.

Taste of citrus hops and alcohol esters. Not much yeast detectable, nor particular bitter, so most of the hops must be going into the aroma. But, overall, fairly quaffable.

The 8% ABV isn't exactly hidden given the alcohol taste evident, but it's not in your face, either. Fairly drinkable for a highish ABV ale.

3.2/5  rDev +10.7%

Appearance: Pours a hazy, orange-gold body with a thin, fizzy white head.

Smell: Aroma of biscuity malts, orangey citrus, and good ole fresh, clean soap.

Taste: Biscuit malts with a toffee-like sweetness. Citrusy, soapy hop flavors. Medium bitterness. Bittersweet finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Medium carbonation.

Drinkability: A very fine presentation with the corked 'n' caged bottle, but what awaited me inside, well...

3.06/5  rDev +5.9%

Appearance - An amber-colored ale with great clarity and effervescence. Head retention is very solid.

Smell - An even balance of hops and sugary malt. Notes of tropical fruit (banana, mango), spice and a bit of lemon rind. The sweet, fruity aroma really comes out as the beer warms.

Taste & mouthfeel - Fruity, pale malt with overtones of banana and spice. Faintly mineral/metallic. Citric hops come through mid-sip and slowly leave an oily, lingering bitterness on the palate. I'm assuming that a Belgian yeast strain is used here; it has a fruity, sugary character that is distinctly Belgian.

Mouthfeel - Fairly light-bodied, but with a slight oiliness from the hops. Ample but gentle effervescence from bottle conditioning.

Notes - More of a Belgian-style IPA than a West Coast hop bomb. Not bad overall, but somewhat mislabeled.

4.15/5  rDev +43.6%

Look, I am not the expert that so many of the reviewers here are, but I did read the bottle. Maybe that is my mistake. I picked this bad boy up at the WeHo Bevmo this week, after not finding my first choice Double IPA. I came back to read the reviews here, and I was crushed. Everyone seems to hate it. Fine fine, you'll probably call my review one from the school of lowered expectations exceeded. Perhaps, but my wife agrees, and she is a beer drinker too.

Look, is it a perfect double? Absolutely not. Is it pretty good, and absolutely worth a try, you're damn right. Here's the problem: it's overpriced. Yes there are more fermentables from the mash, and maybe that cost a brewery marginably more, but to charge almost twice a regular IPA for a double (despite the name) is insane. But let's remove that and judge the beer on its merits.

It tastes good. It's 8%, but the alcohol is not overpowering. It's there; you feel it, but it's a very drinkable beer. I think the bottle, and a good portion of the reviews I have read across the net have mentioned it's biscuity tones. I wouldn't expect this, but I do enjoy it. Likely an aspect of its tremendous hop profile, I think it's the mouth's reaction to this. I enjoy it personally. Each sip sits with me. Each smack of the lips reminds me I like it.

The color is a good light amber; cloudy. I think it's bottle conditioning has caused this one to be less clear than something like a Ruination. That's not a weakness to me, as much as a byproduct of bottling the way they did. How clear are your homebrews?

I smell a nice citrus-like nose.

I love IPAs, and I look forward to the time when i can try a 90 or 120 minute from dogfish head, but for now, i think this is an enjoyable entry. here's been the key for me: serve it warmer than you would like. I love a cold beer, but have really enjoyed the hell out of the one at room temperature (well, likely colder, but not by much). Maybe give it a try, and see if it doesn't change your mind-- if you can get it on sale or for the cheap.

2.83/5  rDev -2.1%

Pours a hazy orange with a thin head and little lacing. Smell is mostly alcohol with a hint of earthy bitterness. Taste is dry, a little thin, and a little hot. There is a slightly harsh graininess and a tad of sweetness and citrus hops on the finish. Lacks power and a real hop profile. Medium bodied and fairly spritzy. At $8.50 for the cork and caged bottle, this is a disappointment.

2.54/5  rDev -12.1%

My, saw this at BevMo and could not resist. Very nicely packaged -- caged and corked, no less -- DIPA. Appears to have potential.

Appearance: Slightly hazy egg yoke orange. Head needed a bit of coaxing, but a creamy, moderate berg with fairly good retention and what appears to be lively carbonation.

Smell: Hmmm... uh... well, you kind of have to look for it, but I find a bit of of typical citrus, herb, a bit of bread and yeast, slightly cardboardy malt bill. Meh.

Taste: What is going on here? This is the second DIPA in as many sittings with this profile. Super herbal -- almost pilsner -- hops, a bit metallic, with a thin, dry papery malt bill and an almost salty yeast finish. No fruit from the hops, no body from the malt. It's overly spicy, tight, sharp, shrill -- it just ain't no fun.

Mouthfeel: Again, no picnic. A bit heavy on the carbonation, a bit light on body or hop oil smoothness. And, again, meh.

Drinkability: Quite pricey and, bluntly, just not that good. It's a great bottle, but it needs to be filled with a better beer.

3.2/5  rDev +10.7%

I picked this up at The Bottle Barn in Santa Rosa, CA...
Appears a hazy orange toned amber with a small, off-white head that quickly fades out. Streaky spots of lacing are left around the glass.
Smell is of herbal, earthy, citrus, and bitter grapefruit.
Taste is of the mentioned aromas with nothing more coming through other than some herbal hops.
Mouthfeel is medium bodied, slick, oily, hoppy, earthy, and bitter in the swallow.

3.56/5  rDev +23.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

750 ml. bottle- color of translucent copper , with a wonderful off white head - nose of mint , malts , hops , slight resin , cookie , and slight alcohol , and – taste of malts , hops , slight resin , lime zest , and slight alcohol - body is medium , semi sweet , and with high carbonation – aftertaste of malty , raw hops , and citrus- good beer but not sure if it is worth $8

2.03/5  rDev -29.8%

Initially sold-out at the La Jolla BevMo, so I thought it would be good enough to pick up when re-stocked.

a- clear orange hue, thin watery head that is mostly diminishing, slight lacing
s- subtle aromas of citrus and pine resin, strong alcohol and biscuit malt presence but noticeable lack of hop aroma!
t- initial sweet flavor with grainy malts, like other reviewers I could not detect any noticeable hop flavors, quick and stingy finish
m- watery and thin, overly carbonated
d- ugh, not very drinkable. a very unbalanced and poor quality beer that has no redeeming characteristics of its stated genre. its sad to say, but I could only finish half of this bomber before pouring out the rest. Oh well, more room for better beers!

2.61/5  rDev -9.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

A: Pumpkin orange color that’s rich and cloudy. Linen colored head with medium and large bubbles. As the head dissipates it leaves lacy swirls on the glass.

S: Not much smell, just some very faint pine, shellac and mineral essence.

T: Harsh and acidic, all I taste is paint thinner mixed with resin. The mouth is filled with bitterness like an unripe pineapple. Some faint pine is the only real hop characteristic found.

M: Medium body, with large sharp bubbles.

D: :drainpour:

3.6/5  rDev +24.6%

Sampled May 2007
Pours with a three finger thick, pale tan colored head that sits atop a hazy, light amber colored brew. The aroma is interestingly hoppy; a mix of thin orange juice and fresh pressed apple cider; this beer is very fruity and not necessarily just because of hops. The cider note is quite prominent, and certainly uncharacteristic.

The cider flavor continues in the flavor, though it mixes with some citrus notes a bit more than in the aroma. A mix of pine, menthol and a touch of astringent bitterness adds a balancing note to the sweet, weird fruitiness. What an interesting beer, certainly it has aspects of a lightly hopped IPA, but the cider flavors are quite a bit unique and I wonder where these flavors come from.

Ultimately though this beer is just a bit too divergent to be a great IPA. When you consider that this is a double IPA, well this is just a touch on the weak side. As a beer without a label, this beer is not half bad, it is just not a Double IPA. Still it is quite drinkable, and even enjoyable in its own right.

2.22/5  rDev -23.2%

I gaze upon this beer and I see a clear copper colored ale with a tall off-white head.

The smell is sweet and a little herbal with a little noticeable ethanol in the scent. Hops are pretty much missing for a DIPA.

The taste begins neutral in sweetness and with a little herbal taste. WHERE ARE THE HOPS? I have had quite a few of the super IPA class beers and they all had lots of hops, except this one. Mildly fruity taste and a little herbal but this isn't a DIPA.

The mouthfeel is thin.

It doesn't taste bad; this just isn't remotely a DIPA. This could be an average Belgian Strong Pale Ale, but it isn't a hop bomb by any stretch of the term.

2.76/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Purchased for about $9...I sure hope this is worth it...and based on the previous reviews, I'm worried.

A: Cloudy/muddy amber with a 3 finger semi-fizzy white head that does leave lacing.

S: Biscuity malts and a touch of hops. Hmmm, this is supposed to be a DIPA - where are the rest of the hops?

T: Biscuity malts with some kind of artificial tasting hops. When I had the first sip, I was wondering where the hops were. In fact, I thought this was pretty bad. But, as it's warmed up, the hops came out a bit more. They are still quite weak...pale to ipa level, but definitely not DIPA. Bummer.

M: Decent mouthfeel. Relatively carbonated.

D: Ehhhh, it's boring and not all that well made, so drinkability is not high.

Not recommended. Way too expensive for a mediocre beer. I'm 0 for 2 so far from them. I think I'll avoid anything else from them unless I hear something positive.

2.72/5  rDev -5.9%

750ml brown bottle silk screened graphics and the corked and caged finish have a nice look. Beer needed a bit of force to get a decent loose bubbly white head. Light orange body with a touch of a chill haze.

Hmmmm. While I don't find many glaring flaws I don't find much to get excited about either. Seemed more like a weak amber ale than anything to do with a Pale, IPA or much less a DIPA. Good god man who comes up with the beer styles over at Blue Frog. There is an underlying slightly toasted but more bready malt base. Watered down candied fig and a drying hop presence mainly in mouthfeel and nothing more. Dissapointing to say the least.

Notes: Seeing a new beer sometimes gets the best of me. I thought about just picking up one but I picked up 3 and for the price I"m pretty much let down. If you like an overpriced boring watered down amber ale pick this up today!!

3.18/5  rDev +10%

Went to Bevmo today, didn't even have an intention on picking up any beer, but this caught the corner of my eye, and there is NO way I can turn down a Double IPA. So let's check it out.

A: Pours a very murky dark orange color, almost an unfiltered look? It's accompanied by a massive bright white frothy head that is slow to fade away, leaves a very small bit of lacing around the glass. 4.0

S:The first thing I notice is a decent amount of caramelly malts (hmmm this is an IPA right?), also accompanied by hints of piney malts, chocolate and coffee. That's all I'm getting out of this, not bad but not what I'd expect from a double IPA. 3.5

T:Ummm ok, I'm still not buying that this is an IPA. It tastes way too much like a belgian....sort of like a poor impression of Chouffe Dobbelen IPA Tripel. That out of the way let's see the first thing that hits me is a sweet bubblegum flavor, very smooth toffee, caramel malts that lead way to some bitterness, and it leaves a very pleasant aftertaste. 3.0

MF: A little bit watery and I did expect it to pack more of a punch to the tongue, it's rather light. It's not bad for a beer, but it is average for what claims to be a double IPA. 3.0

D:See this category is a bit hard to judge, because I was expecting a ballsy hit you in the face with hops DIPA, unfortunately it's closer to a Belgian Ipa more than anything, and on that level it does fairly well....sooo I'll go 3.0

Overall I have to say I was disappointed, only because this really (to me) is more of a Belgian IPA, and not a DIPA...I donno. A bit disappointing

2.8/5  rDev -3.1%

Regal looking appearance caged & corked 750 mL painted label bottle declaring OG 17.4 plato, 83 IBU's, [sic] 8% ABV and "overloaded with hops and malts. [Improper label grammar is always a thorn in my side.]

Pours with an unusually light pale peach hue topped with a scant, vanishing thin khaki wafer of splotchy collar coating leaving zero residual lace in the glass.

Nose is a diluted malty soup that evokes hints of metallic smells. With my best efforts, aroma is asleep at the switch here. At least there is a flavor to counterbalance the lack of bouquet. Afterall, don't we hop heads seek aroma?

First swigs: Blitzkrieg of copper brassy hops and orange peel. This is a rough mettalic 2IPA. Middle of foamy frothy tangerine. A moderate bittering factor evolves, but bittering alone not does make a 2IPA.

Feel is lacking hop zest and lingering bitter finish. Needs more full balance. Feels and tastes more like a IPA in all respects. A tad too foamy. Compliment: Sturdy balanced finish albeit not bold.

Last swigs: Perhaps this is actually a big English style IPA. Bottle info espouses "English toffee, and fresh baked biscuits. Carmel notes, hoppy lovin' and slight yeastie notes." Seems difficult to find. Picked up on a whim from Hi-Time in Costa Mesa, CA. If this were a pale ale, it would be excellent, but as a big ole 2IPA it misses the mark.

Beer is good. Happy acurate beering.

Beer is good. Happy better English 2IPA beering.

2.79/5  rDev -3.5%

I wish I had read the review before mine before I picked this up.
Oh well...let's see how I feel about it. Fill date on my bottle is less than 30 days ago.

Pours a cloudy orange with a large craggy slightly off-white head that surprisingly doesn't stick much but does hang around a while.

Aroma is fruity hops and an unfortunate sour butter smell.

Sharply bitter citrus hops hit the tongue first with very little of the malt sweetness you would expect from a DIPA. Hops are definitely present however along with a strong alcohol....both elements missing from the previous reviewer's bottle. Flavor continues with the bitter citrus peel hops as you continue with your drink. I can't really identify either the type of hops nor even the kind of citrus I'm tasting...probably a blend of several.

Aftertaste is drying and sort of nice....especially for a DIPA since there is absolutely NO sticky, sweet residue.

Mouthfeel is comfortable but a little thin.

Not world-class...not great...but not too bad either. And (probably due to the high ABV) I am enjoying it more the more of the 750 ml I consume. Not worth the high price, however.

I may come back and re-evaluate my scores when I uncork the other bottle I bought.

1.91/5  rDev -33.9%

750ml bottle purchased at San Francisco's City Beer Store - April 2007 - for $7.99. Caged cork, champagne style.

Nicely screened bottle - reads "The DIPA". "Brewed and bottledby Cica's Blue Frog Grog and Grill, Fairfield, California USA."

"OG 17.4 Plato, 83 IBU's, 8% Alc. By Vol."

"The Big DIPA. This monstrous version of our IPA has been overloaded with everything from the malt to the hops, even the tunes we rocked out to during the brew day were huge. This bottle conditioned Double India Pale Ale is abound [sic] with aromas of citrus hops, English toffee, and fresh baked biscuits. Carmel [sic] notes, hoppy lovin' and slight yeastie notes jump off your tongue.

Enjog this bottle conditioned beer in a large snifter slightly warmer than the normal [sic] with the one who keeps you warm at night.

Why?... 'Cause we can!"
I hesitate to call this beer a failure - maybe I'm just not getting its message. But not only is this not the usual California DIPA, I think it's actually not any good.

Pours an amber without much of the orange you see in other DIPAs. Very frothy white head, multi-sized bubbles, diminishes quickly with very little lace throughout.

Nose is all edgy, yeasty carbonation - almost like an overcarbonated Belgian golden ale. No citrus, no fruit, not even any malt. Downright unpleasant, and it doesn't mellow as the beer warms.

Taste is pretty much consistent with the aroma - all prickly carbonation, leavened by a little bit of yeast. No discernible hop flavor - just a slightly bitter edge. Very thin mouthfeel - at least it's not overly syrupy like too many DIPAs, but there's nearly no body at all. Hard to find any taste amidst the carbonation - maybe some breadiness, but not in a good way.

Finishes very quickly - which in this case is a blessing. The bland prickliness doesn't hang around, but unfortunately no interesting flavors are revealed in the meantime.

I found this beer off-putting at the Bistro DIPA Festival in Hayward a few months ago, but thought I would give it a proper try with this bottle. No luck. Maybe a bad bottle, maybe a lack of sophistication on my side - but this beer does not work at all.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last