Marble Reserve Ale | Marble Brewery

marblebrewery.com

Style: American Strong Ale

Added by vurt on 11-21-2009

4.92/5  rDev +19.7%

A. Brownish amber with an inch of head.

S. I feel like I'm walking into the house when I was a kid and my mom is baking bread. Sweet maltyness with vanilla and bourbon. So far so good.

T. Oh yeah! Just like the smell. A bit more bourbon stands out and I also get some oak.

M. Medium carbonation, very smooth and almost buttery feeling.

D. Very drinkable. It seems like time is definitely on this beer's side. I'll sit on my last one for a few more months and then try it all over again. I can't wait!

4.88/5  rDev +18.7%

Poured into a Tulip

A: Very Nice carbonation. Settles nicely into a thick 2 inch head that retains throughout. Beautiful crimson red and crystal clear. Lacing is beautiful.

S: Wood, vanilla, bourbon, a little maltiness. A much more subtle and complex smell than I expected.

T: Vanilla on the front with a hint of bourbon. A great malty sweetness in the middle. Finishes with the bourbon and a touch of alcohol heat (barely noticeable).

MF: Velvet. Nice smooth mouthfeel with just a bit of chewiness. Great carbonation throughout.

D: WOW! Best bourbon wood-aged beer I have ever tasted. Hesitated buying b/c I have never even been able to come close to finishing a bourbon beer. This one I could drink all night (or until I pass out). Fantastic beer.

4.86/5  rDev +18.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

4.75/5  rDev +15.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.72/5  rDev +14.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

4.68/5  rDev +13.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.59/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Bottle, 12/17/12, served @ 52F, snifter. From trade with KingJohnH.

A: Dark, deep copper color, thick pale head, with a dollop that lingers with the lacing during the session.

S: Vanilla, toffee, oak, fruity boozy smells in there too.

T: Follows the nose... Full on bourbon and oak, with a broad fruit base (date, raisin, dark fruits...) with some sweetness filling it out. The booze bites the tongue in the swallow...

M: Thick, syrupy. Low carbonation. There is a tartness that lingers, from the oak and bourbon, I think.

O: Great beer, glad I got to try it. Not available here.... sent on a recommendation in a trade for BBA stouts... Glad I tried it! Would cellar one if I had it.

4.56/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Amazing, bubbly, foamy, fluffy, cream colored head. Brew is ruby red with awesome glacial clarity and tons of browns. Good lacing too. Awesome head retention.

Great bubble gum, vanilla, oak, bourbon, sugar, dryness, cinnamon, and caramel.

Whoa. Much different than the aroma. Creamy vanilla on the back end and burnt/roasted caramel sugar on the front. Almost a rubbery aftertaste. Lots of bourbon and a bittering heat. Carbonation is nice and light; much less than the appearance. EDIT: After a year of age, the heat is gone and has faded to sweetness that's a bit prickly.

Could use just a touch more rounding.. Not sure I could drink a ton of this, but very glad I tried it. I’ll grab another to see what it does in time... Beware: this brew packs a serious punch. Awesome, brew Marble, just awesome!!!

4.54/5  rDev +10.5%

Purchased for $14 at Jubilation. Poured into Left Hand Brewing goblet.

a - pours a deep but crystal-clear red-brown (think cola, a half-shade darker) with a thin tan head, poor retention. Leaves no lacing.

s - Oh my. Loads of vanilla, burnt sugar, dark fruit (raisin, fig, cherry), bit of toastiness. No hop aroma that I can discern, but hops may be the source of the hint of spice I'm picking up.

t - Bourbon barrel aged qualities dominate. Soft and mellow, but rich, with lots of vanilla and charred wood, and some molasses. The dark fruits are still present, mostly up front, but fairly subdued. Finish has just enough bitterness to keep it from being cloying. Toffee backbone supports without overwhelming other flavors.

m - Just like the flavor. Full, soft, smooth, and creamy. Pretty much ideal for this beer.

d - Remarkably high for this combination of flavor intensity and malt-forwardness. This bomber does not present a challenge for me.

Good on you guys, Marble. Still not sure this was quite worth the price tag (I've had beers just as good in the $9-10 range), but it's damned good, and not too sweet (for my tastes) like it seems all of the English old ales I've tried have been. My one tiny complaint would be that the dark fruits from the aroma did not carry into the flavor terribly well, but that seems to be par for the course.

4.54/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

4.5/5  rDev +9.5%

Pours an auburn hue with an obvious thickness. The head is creamy tan and doesn't go away at all. The bourbon aroma is heavenly and very appetizing. I had a moment when I took my first sip - the rich, sweet bourbon flavor is powerful and delicious. You'll also get some vanilla and woodesy oak taste. Creamy would be the best way to describe the consistency - the vescocity of the beer really coats your mouth and the glass. The strength of the brew (at a whomping 9%) doesn't overpower your mouth though, as that could have a downside of the beer. Instead, it is a very clean beer that leaves your palate demanding more. Wish I could get this beer all the time, but there is something said for it being selectively available - you really appreciate it when you have it. If you can still find this at Quarters, Kelly's, Jubliation, or the Triangle Grocery (in the east mountains), it runs about $12-$14 a bomber and well worth it.

Apperance - 4.0/5.0 -Pretty auburn hue with a creamy tan head
Smell - 4.0/5.0 - Sweet bourbon aroma that isn't so overwhelming that you end up thinking you stuck your nose in a bottle of Woodcreek Reserve
Taste -5.0/5.0 - Creamy, sweet bourbon flavor that doesn't overpower your taste buds
Feel - 5.0/5.0 - Clean, smooth and creamy
Drinkability - 4.0/5.0 - Price tag is a big high, which makes this a very delicious, but OCCASIONAL, treat!

4.47/5  rDev +8.8%

A: Ruby red with thin tan head.

S: Bourbon and alcohol up front, followed by caramel malts and dark fruits.

T: Creamy caramel malt balance. Little alcohol burn linger.

M: Creamy, medium bodied that coats the tongue.

O: Very much enjoyed this one.

4.47/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Wonderful overall beer. very heavy vanilla smell and taste. pours think smells great but if vanilla isnt your thing dont come near this. Good alcohol burn that is masked well with the creamy sweetness. Split it, dont tackle this by yourself i fear that it would be similar to going after a pint of ice cream taste great with regrets later.

Poured into a tulip.

A - a deep brown, not nearly as dark as I expected. Decent amount of off-white head on top that sticks around for a while.

S - sweet bourbon and vanilla right up front, brown sugar, dark fruit, creamy maltiness, maybe a hint of coffee and clove.

T - bourbon and vanilla are dominating this baby, in an awesome way! A good amount of malt and a minimal hop presence are evened out by a slight alcohol warmth that is quite welcomed on the this snowy night.

M - lighter and creamier than expected, which is an awesome thing. Any more thickness would detract from this brew, but I think it's right on point.

D - the 9% is the only thing that will slow me down, but other than that this beer is knocking my socks and inhibitions off.

This was my first time having the highly regarded Marble Reserve and I really couldn't be happier. It's in the same field as Angel's Share or FW14, which are two of my favorite beers, but much liter in color and body, and therefore is really unique to me.

Marble Reserve Ale from Marble Brewery