Marble Reserve Ale | Marble Brewery

marblebrewery.com

Style: American Strong Ale

Added by vurt on 11-21-2009

4.05/5  rDev -1.5%

Bottle shared by Drew at a recent tasting.

The beer is transparent and fairly dark brown with a quarter inch or so of tan head that leaves some decent lacing on the snifter. The aroma brings caramels, malt, oak, booze. Nice flavor, with a prominent oak barrel presence throughout. Vanilla and bourbon impart a lasting sweetness that is balanced by a tannic, oaky character. Medium bodied and creamy. Overall, a solid beer and a nice surprise, as this beer wasn't on my radar. Recommended.

3.59/5  rDev -12.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

4.17/5  rDev +1.5%

Low tanish head on a brown body. Nice alcohol legs. Leaves a nice collar.

Smells of vanilla and cherries

Taste follows the smell as far as the cherries are concerned. Vanilla is muted compared to the smell. I'd guess this a tad higher than 9%.

I feel like the mouthfeel could be a little thicker and it would be more appropriate, but maybe that's just me. Low carbonation.

Wanted to give this a 4.25 for taste so I made up with it for a 4.5 overall. Great under the radar brew. Barrel aging meld pretty damn well. Thanks egrace84.

4.5/5  rDev +9.5%

3.75/5  rDev -8.8%

This was poured into a snifter. The appearance was a ruddy brown color with a one finger white to off white foamy head that dissipated within about a minute leaving a light foamy trickling lacing. The smell had a deep caramel maltiness combining with a decent boozy vanilla and offering a delicate chocolate and coffee. The taste had a deep sweet boozy hotness allowing the chocolate, coffee and vanilla to combine and intermingle with the booze. On the palate, this one sat about a medium on the body with a fair sessionable aspect about it. The carbonation was good for the style as it was fairly harsh but not too much. Light boozy vanilla rolls over my tongue to the finish. Overall, wow, what a really nice offering!

3.75/5  rDev -8.8%

3.5/5  rDev -14.8%

4.05/5  rDev -1.5%

Thanks Drew for opening this bottle, a long time want of mine, served in a snifter. Beer is sort of copper / orange with a little haze, might just be a little chill haze though. A tight little off white head of tan bubbles, some lacing, low carbonation.

Aroma is sweet, caramel and that's about it.

Beer is medium in body and good, hides the alcohol well in a malt backbone that dominates the beer. The finish isn't too bitter or dry, a nice bodied beer with good connectivity, I'd have ti again.

2.5/5  rDev -39.2%

4.5/5  rDev +9.5%

4.18/5  rDev +1.7%

4.05/5  rDev -1.5%

Got this as an extra in a trade a while back. 04/05/12. Poured into my Duvel tulip.

A - Pours a nice crystal clear mahogany hue with more red than brown with a very nice super dense and creamy tan two finger head that leaves nice lacing and a super thick one finger head. Pretty damn nice, this head just wont quit!

S - Aromas of nice rich bourbon, lightly sweet malts, toffee, faint vanilla, light dark fruits.

T - Taste is sweet malts, fair amount of booze, sweet caramel/toffee, faint darker fruits (raisins), chocolate. Quad like.. bourbon is nice albeit strong, some vanilla, not much barrel.

M - Mouthfeel is a hair on the cloy side, which would be helped drastically by some more carbonation as this is very lightly carbed.

O - Overall, not a bad beer. The appearance was exceptional but everything else was just solid. Bit boozy and sweet. Glad to try it but not blown away like I had thought I would be.

2.75/5  rDev -33.1%

4.27/5  rDev +3.9%

6/26/2011

Bottle shared by a generous man at Stone Sour Fest.

A: Dark brown with a reddish tinge. The small brown head is fast fading.

S: A fantastic blend of bourbon and caramel with faint smoke notes. Toffee comes out as the beer opens up and I pick out a little date and bread. Light oak with some vanilla and coconut.

T: The taste is almost as good as the aroma, with notes of toffee and caramel melding seamlessly with bourbon and vanilla. The bready quality returns but this time is brings a faint nuttiness with it. Oak is evident in the bourbonic caramel finish.

M: Medium in body with lower moderate carbonation. Mouthfeel is creamy, smooth, and sticky.

Overall: This was very tasty. I'd never heard of this brewery and I had to put my sunglasses on to mask the tears welling up in my eyes when I beheld my empty glass. My voice betrayed me, cracking a few times as I tried to speak in false hearty tones about all the great sours on the list I was looking forward to trying. I was unable to hide my sorrow so I eventually sat silently and braced myself as grief consumed me.

4.14/5  rDev +0.7%

4.86/5  rDev +18.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

4.2/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to GHB, who opened my eyes to this fine little brewery. 22 oz. bottle, black waxed, split with my wife.

Pour is darkest red leaning forward into light brown, surprisingly frothy for a big, bad, ale. Bourbon aroma washes out of bottle & fills up the room at first splash. Vanilla, candy sweets, caramel round out a nice foreshadowing.

Marble Reserve Ale is tough to pigeonhole. There's a healthy shot of caramel along with a double-shot of whiskey runs rampant over the rest of the beer, almost like a poor-man's Backwoods Bastard. Brown sugar & vanilla tidal surge underneath. Let this one warm up; it's much better. A touch thin is offset by the fact I want to gulp this like hose water.

I've been on a good-beer roll that's really going to dent my reputation as a crank; I need to choose something shitty, soon. This isn't. It morphed from good to excellent as it warmed. Very nice. Can't wait to try the stout.

4.25/5  rDev +3.4%

4.25/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Marble Reserve Ale from Marble Brewery