Imperial Red Ale | Marble Brewery

Marble Brewery
New Mexico, United States
marblebrewery.com

Style: American Amber / Red Ale

Brewed with royalty in mind, no expense was spared in crafting our Imperial Red. Generous additions of our favorite hop varieties blend harmoniously with long layers of dark caramel malts.

Added by canucklehead on 10-07-2010

Liked:
4.05/5
Alströms:

2.5/5  rDev -38.3%

2.5/5  rDev -38.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

3.28/5  rDev -19%

Nice nose of flowery hops, reminds me of Cascades but label says it's a blend. Not overly bitter at the swallow, but aftertaste fades to the long hop bitterness. Attractive coppery amber in the wine glass. Malty and sweet, notes of roasted barley. Creamy carbonation is a plus. After a few sips, though, the flavor is all about the big piney hops. Back of the mouth sage and bitter herbs.

This seems kiind of one dimensional after the initial promising taste. An earthy, almost metallic taste comes to dominate the tongue. Maybe this is just a silly style, but makes me want to pour the rest out and open a nice mellow barley wine.

3.58/5  rDev -11.6%

Bomber picked up recently, think it was $5.49. looks identical to the regular Marble Red, red, good head and lacing. Aroma is a tinge of hops, a wallop of alcohol, and malts giving chase. Flavor was fruity, boozy, and not as full as the regular red. I do suspect that this is the base for the Marble Reserve Ale though I could be wrong. Decent value but not sure I'd buy another.

3.65/5  rDev -9.9%

Appearance: Excellent foam and lacing. Dark ruby red, but not terrible thick given the heaviness.

Smell: Very herbal smell. Juniper and orange peel. A hint of cloves as well.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Tastes exactly like smell. It's very strong, maybe a bit too strong. Some honey in there somewhere in the finish. I was just ok with this at first, but like it better the second time. This was flat the first time, but has a nice yeasty bite in the finish. Lots of pine as it warms.

Drinkability: More balance would be nice.

Overall: Gets better with age.

3.65/5  rDev -9.9%

Poured from a 22 oz bottle into a pint glass, unknown freshness date. This pours a reddish brown with a massive off white tan head. The smells are pine hops, caramel, alcohol. The feel is medium, the taste is pretty good lots of pine hop and caramel along with a very noticeable alcohol taste / burn.

3.65/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.73/5  rDev -7.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.75/5  rDev -7.4%

Received a 1 PINT, 6 FLUID OUNCE bottle of this in a trade w/ amcmaho1. Poured from the Tan/Red Labeled bottle into a 12oz Snifter. Has no bottled or freshness date to be found.

Aroma- Tons of huge hops and sweetness to back it up. Has also boozy background with tons of malts blended in.

Appearance- Pours a .5 finger head that has good retention. Has a light brown/deep amber glowing body with no clarity to be found. Leaves good lacing behind.

Flavor- Sweetness, strength, and hops all well blended. A bit too much booze and bitterness (high) at the finish but not at all upset.

Mouthfeel- Medium Bodied, Light-Medium Carbonation, Caramel sweetness at the finish, and then amarillo hops left on the palate.

Overall Impression- A nice imperial red by Marble! A bit boozy at first but then has a well blended caramel/sweet hop finish. Recommend but wouldn't go out of your way for this.

3.77/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

MFG DATE: 9.01.2012

Large, off-white, fluffy, foamy, soapy head. Lacing is well spaced and consistent. Nice clarity in the deep ruby red color.

Tons of deep, roasty, pine, grapefruit, raisins, mango, belgian candy, apricot, not sugary. nothing is off here.. Smells damn bitter, tons of citra hops..

Dry, super bitter, heat is hidden, but alcohol flavor is upfront, a very distinct vodka flavors emanates, kinda disappointing. Roasty crystal malt is almost overwhelming with an odd blend of hops.. High carbonation, slight kick of sweetness, and brutally bitter on the back end.

A very good brew, yet a very strong (and could be offensive) brew.. Glad I tried this one. Recommended. Could use more rounding/blending, but drinks well-enough. I would love to try this brew FRESH off the bottling line..

3.78/5  rDev -6.7%

Bomber poured into a Jester King tulip glass. Bottled 9/1/12, drank 10/8/12.

A: Dark ruby crimson almost blood red with a frothy white head that subsided quickly but laced nicely.
S: Definitely hop forward, piny scent, with some malt to the backbone
T: Opens with maltiness and finishes all hops. A much more pungent red ale than most; it's strong but in a likeable way. I found the regular Marble Red somewhat dull, but this one is not.
M: Thin, with very little carbonation. It could be better if it was a bit thicker, or had more persistent carbonation.
D: I enjoyed this one a lot. A winner of a red ale that I could easily drink all night (this bomber is going away with just myself on it!), and it is easily quaffable for being 9% ABV. One of Marble's better brews.

3.8/5  rDev -6.2%

Out of a bomber I brought from my home state back out to the East this beer was a deep amber color with one finger of golden-khaki-colored head. The foam retained itself as a skim and then a collar. The aroma was hoppy and similar to an IPA with a malty background and some caramel notes. The flavors were also quite hoppy with a big note of Cascade up front balanced by the caramel malt and some raisin-like sweetness. As it warmed I tasted dark fruit, a bit of tartness, sweet breads and a fair amount of booze. The mouthfeel was good, the body medium/full and the carbonation appropriate. Sort of like an Imperial IPA meeting a Belgian beer. It was punchy yet balanced enough to pass as sessionable, if you want your session to end in a drunken, blurry stupor. Don’t get me wrong though; I liked this beer! But it was a bit heavy on the hops, in my opinion.

3.84/5  rDev -5.2%

Poured from a 22oz bottle. This beer was a Christmas gift from my sister who lives across the country in ABQ, NM. Seeing the 2 prior reviews on this beer I was pleasantly surprised to see some nice ratings and couldn't wait to taste!

The first smell was MUCH better than subsequent sniffs. LOTS of of hoppy aroma with that sweet malty characteristic that implies I am in for a treat. But it didn't last long. Smell faded to almost a musty smell after a short time. The beer pours a reddish brown with a fairly thick, foamy, root-beer-float head. Bubbles have a bit of a "soapy" shine to them. Head dissipates slowly. Held up to the light, the beer is true to the name and shows through as a bright cranberry red...smell now reminds me of a DIPA or sweet imperial pale ale. Taste reminds me of a Stone beer. 100% not what I expected. Big hop up front that transitions to super hoppy bitterness and finally ends with a bite. Sweet caramel maltiness throughout to balance until the very end. The hop sits on the tongue for quite some time between sips. I detect a slight metallic taste on the finish.

Overall very drinkable beer. Not sessionable at 9.0% but extremely tasty and a nice variation on the typical red ale. Part of me wishes I had shared this one with my Dad but the other part of me is happy I get to finish the bottle! Send me more Rachel!

3.85/5  rDev -4.9%

Had a pint on tap at the Marble pub. Didn't have anything with me to take notes, so I'm just reviewing this from memory. When I was trying to imagine what it might be like before ordering it, I was thinking in terms of other double reds, like Stone's 13th Anniversary and Oskar Blues' Gordon. I should have been thinking more along the lines of Marble's single red. It was definitely hop-forward, almost DIPA status, but did have a stronger caramel and toffee malt backbone than the single. The hop profile was very grassy, much moreso than the single red, but I'm not sure if this is because they used different hops, or because whatever they use just tastes really grassy in large amounts.

I really enjoyed this beer, but when I went to fill up a growler on my way out, I decided it wasn't quite good enough to justify the $4 upcharge, and went for a fill of the normal red instead.

Imperial Red Ale from Marble Brewery