Alpha-Acid Trip | Marble Brewery

marblebrewery.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by amcmaho1 on 10-19-2011

4.07/5  rDev 0%

Again, we have a limited release at Marble...and a monstrous DIPA none the less. Certainly a nice departure from the barrel-aged sours (of which I can't get enough of). The brainchild of recent Brewer's Guild Graduate Josh Trujillo...Congrats!

Appearance: Pours with a very big head, creme colored and dense. Eventually the head dies down, leaving some very prominent, sticky lacing which isn't going away. Beautiful amber to golden colored body.

Smell: HUGE hop profile on the nose, with some really dominant earthy and pine notes. Pine certainly jumps out to me as one of the key attributes on the nose. Some definite alcohol is discernible (a'hem 10.5%), though it seems really nicely integrated along with the malt profile which peeks through, and the dominance of the hops. This is a palate wrecker...but in the best way possible.

Taste: Assertively bitter in many respects. There's a really nice earthy bitterness which lingers, and there are some brighter notes on the end of the taste which provides evidence of the malt, as well as the beer's gravity, though this beer is very far from being sweet, and even further away from Barleywine territory.

Mouthfeel: This is one of the only aspects of the beer which I find especially challenging. The beer becomes quite thick, slippery, chewy, and overly-aggressive. I understand that this is nevertheless inevitable with a higher gravity DIPA, though it interrupts the ability to take this beer in stride (not that it should be though, it's big, mean, and demanding of your concentration). If it was just slightly thinner, I feel like this beer would really soar; but don't take this as I'm bashing the beer, because I really do enjoy it.

Overall: Yet again, Marble approaches the arena of hop forward beers, and executes with flying colors. This beer proves to be yet another example of this brewery's abilities in crafting truly wonderful beers. Yet again, I tip my glass to you Marble, thank you for continuing to produce stellar beers.

4.25/5  rDev 0%