India White Ale | Marble Brewery

Style: American IPA

Added by amcmaho1 on 04-09-2012

Reviews by gpogo:
4.08/5  rDev -0.2%

A- Hazy yellow body with a nice white head and a sticky lacing.

A- Nice wheat aroma with a heavy hop aroma. Citrus and a bit grassy. Somewhat spicy smelling.

T- Quite a hop bite, but not overtly heavy on bitterness. Nice hoppy flavor throughout. Nice wheaty flavor with a bit of a citrusy flavor. Finishes a bit spicy, perhaps partially contributed from a slight taste of alcohol.

M- Medium-light body with moderate carbonation. Very refreshing beer. Much more so than a typical IPA.

O- Typically when I hear india white I think of a Wit spiced wheat beer hopped up. This was a bit of a surprise, a wonderful surprise. I think this is one of the more interesting and better beers at Marble.

4.27/5  rDev +4.4%

Growler from GHB. Thanks!

Appearance: Pretty wit-like in appearance: hazy, milky, straw-colored and nearly opaque until thinned. A hard pour produces two fingers of foam that clings to the glass.

Smell: Loads of mouth-watering hops at the forefront. Pineapple, orange, grapefruit. This is decidedly more IPA than wit, and I'm grateful for that. I do pick up quite a bit of grainy wheat; unmalted wheat I'm assuming. There's a slight chalky yeast presence and an herbal, almost grassy note, but they're buried beneath layers of citrus.

Taste & mouthfeel: Bright citrus, primarily pineapple, along with grapefruit and a touch of orange toward the finish. There's a nice creamy wheat backbone that gives the beer a fair amount of body, but it does take on a slight gritty grain character after a while that prevents this from being a 4.5 to me - I'd probably give it 4 and a quarter if possible. Bitterness low, almost non-existent after a couple glasses, which only enhances the quaffability. I'm not picking up much in the way of spices, and frankly I'm grateful for that.

Overall: Surprisingly delicious and ridiculously easy to drink. At this point, this is the only White IPA/India White Ale I've had that's actually worth drinking.

3.88/5  rDev -5.1%

1472nd Review on BA
Bottle to Spiegelau small tulip
12oz

Bottled 06/05/12

Thanks to my buddy Mike for grabbing this for me

App- A lighter golden yellow with a pure golden orangey center. Very translucent with a honey vodka look. A nice quick receding white head was there and gone. A few nice lines of cling.

Smell- A nice aromatic beer. I say nice as in just okay. Small citrus hops with a spicy resin note. A good balance but a bit thick.

Taste- Opens up with a nice malty flavor. The hops are quite thick and offer only a slight citrus note. A little creamy as it warms but a nice beer.

Mouth- A lighter medium with a medium carbonation. Residual balance of hops/malts.

Drink- Its A nice IPA from the desert. Thankful for the state tick.

4.22/5  rDev +3.2%

New release for Marble. Enjoyed a sample on tap, and got a growler to go. Poured into snifter...

Appearance: Cloudy gold, almost a nice honey color. Small white head, with decent retention (on tap, the head and retention were slightly longer lived). A very interesting looking beer.

Smell: Awesome citrus notes along with some grass and resin, coupled by the spiciness of wheat and yeast esters. A bit of alcohol is present on the nose, but the citrusy hops really stand out here.

Taste: Really assertive hop bite alongside some grassy and earthy wheat notes. The citrus is apparent again in the taste, though not necessarily overwhelming. I get a very slight hint of peppercorn at the end of the taste which works well with the earthier hops.

Mouthfeel: Pretty thin, not overly dry, and low carbonation (not just the growler, on tap I though this as well). It's refreshing and drinkable (dare I say 'sessionable'), but the carbonation makes the beer somewhat uninteresting as far as the mouthfeel goes.

Overall: I like to see Marble doing more non-traditional beer styles. This is a really great beer, and one which I feel fits the season really well. Given the option though, I'd likely move from this to their regular IPA; the wheat components of this beer add some great dynamics which interest me as a non-wheat beer drinker. Regardless, it's good to see Marble flexing their creative muscle.

India White Ale from Marble Brewery