O'Hoppy IPA | Ohio Brewing Company

Ohio Brewing Company
Ohio, United States
ohiobrewing.com

Style: American IPA

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

Added by chiefydawg on 10-04-2008

Reviews by chiefydawg:
3.47/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

To be fair, I didn't open this until several days after it was poured into the growler - the following summary is just how I fancied it...

Copper color, almost clear. Thin head subsided quickly but still clotted nicely some at the top. Lacing not too bad really.

Sharp mandarine orange hoppiness quite apparent at first whiff. Some light caramel and maybe some faint bread.

Doesn't taste quite as sweet or balanced as the smell, but it is aptly crisp and bitter. Orange rind dominates, but there is still that maybe wheat cracker light breadiness that bows and grovels before the citrus peel.

There is a resiny, piney hop film that stays on the tongue long after the drink. Alcohol seems like mid-high 6%, and peeks out towards the bottom (of the glass, not just the growler).

I like a citrusy, bitter IPA, and this one delivers. That said, it could use a little more balance and depth. But I won't complain, especially since it's my fault it sat in my fridge too long. Instead, I'll pour anohter glass of this above average Ohio IPA.

4.23/5  rDev +27.4%

a - murky, golden amber; nice thick head and appropriately mild lacing

s - a true explosion of flowery, yet manly hops; mild citrus accents

t - while hops dominate, there are other subtle flavors of lemon zest and grain that offer balance

m - hops erupt in your mouth; mildly carbonated with a perfect body

d - a wonderful IPA that goes down quicker than an overloaded steamer headed for India with 20 cannonball holes in her sides :)

2.26/5  rDev -31.9%

On tap at Ohio Brewing Company/Damon's Grill in downtown Akron last night. Poured into a clean, clear mug glass. Review from notes. By the way, the ABV is 7% per the notes at the Brewery.

A Light red translucent body with minimal 1 inch head which dissipated but not for about 2 minutes. Not a bad appearance.

S Hops to the nose. Not much else. It is not over intense or anything but I could not smell much of anything else.

T Hops all of the way through. The hops were not the MOST intense that I have ever tasted but they never let up, carrying well into the aftertaste. A few nights ago I had a Rogue Brutal Bitter and, although I want to resist comparisons within a review, this allows a signficant point to be made. The Rogue had that bitter hops but then it dissipated into a nice malty taste. This O'Hoppy stuff just never let go and the fakey hops bitterness continued well into the aftertaste. I do not like that cheap kind of hoppiness.

M Thin to moderate. Hops increases the mouthfeel for me a little bit. I would say that the beer is too watery too.

D Not good due to taste for me.

Notes: It certainly delivers on the hops which as suggested by the name but this is a pedestrian brew at best. I cannot recommend it.

O'Hoppy IPA from Ohio Brewing Company